Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native Doesn't See My Signal

TommyRckbttm

Please help! I'm pulling what's left of my hair out. I load an instance of Native into the Audio FX slot in Logic Pro and plug my guitar into Hi-Z. I can hear the un-effected guitar come through but no signal to Native. The only way I can get signal is using HX Edit routing through MIDI and then to Native, as shown in a Chad Boston YT tutorial, but Native is supposed to be able to be used as an audio plug in, correct? No need for HX Edit. 

My drivers / Firmware are all up to date on everything Helix. I'm so confused. 

Also... when I try to record with my Helix LT connected via XLR, there's crazy latency even though my buffer size is low. 

Any suggestions??

The setup for using Helix Native in Logic Pro is described in the HN manual on page 9. It would be helpful to know exactly where in that procedure things are failing for you, or are working differently than described. Please provide more details with efrence to the documentation.

Also check pg 10 re: Live Input monitoring if you are not using a pre-recorded track.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 5:39 AM, TommyRckbttm said:

in Logic Pro and plug my guitar into Hi-Z.

The only way I can get signal is using HX Edit routing through MIDI and then to Native, as shown in a Chad Boston YT tutorial, but Native is supposed to be able to be used as an audio plug in, correct? No need for HX Edit. 

Also... when I try to record with my Helix LT connected via XLR, there's crazy latency even though my buffer size is low. 

Any suggestions??

Hi,

As noted in the post above from @silverhead the way to set up Helix Native is described in the HX Native Manual, but nothing in your post is very clear on how you currently have this stuff hooked up?

You state - "plug my guitar into Hi-Z". - O.K. fine, but the Hi-Z input of what exactly?

Then you say - "The only way I can get signal is using HX Edit routing through MIDI and then to Native".

Huh? Why the hell would anyone want to do that? It's madness. Helix Native is an AU Plug-in and works perfectly well in Logic. Simply take your audio signal in to a track with Native running as a plug-in is how it works.

Then you say - "when I try to record with my Helix LT connected via XLR". Once again, the XLR of what exactly?

By far the simplest way to deal with this is to hook up your LT via a USB cable to your Mac, then fire up Logic and select the Helix LT as the Audio Interface and have the audio input to Channel 1 set to receive USB 1&2 to record the stereo fully processed signal, and a second mono audio channel set to receive USB 7 to record the dry unprocessed audio from your guitar which you can then re-amp through Helix Native.

There is a section on page 69 of the Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual regarding how to configure USB audio with a DAW.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f18374611d5dffd3a45/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

I have been using my Helix Floor as a USB Audio Interface into Logic on an almost daily basis since 2015 and using Native in Logic since it's release in August 2017, without any hassle.

Help us to help you by providing as much useful information as possible, because so far it's not great!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 1/7/2023 at 8:58 AM, silverhead said:

The setup for using Helix Native in Logic Pro is described in the HN manual on page 9. It would be helpful to know exactly where in that procedure things are failing for you, or are working differently than described. Please provide more details with efrence to the documentation.

Also check pg 10 re: Live Input monitoring if you are not using a pre-recorded track.

I'm using an Apollo 8. From what I understand, I should be able to plug my guitar into Hi-Z input that routes to Console (UA Virtual Mixer), into Logic. Routing is Ch 1 on Console and Logic Input 1. Open Native as an FX plugin and voila signal is routed to Native without having to hook up my Helix LT. Is this correct? 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:44 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

As noted in the post above from @silverhead the way to set up Helix Native is described in the HX Native Manual, but nothing in your post is very clear on how you currently have this stuff hooked up?

You state - "plug my guitar into Hi-Z". - O.K. fine, but the Hi-Z input of what exactly?

Then you say - "The only way I can get signal is using HX Edit routing through MIDI and then to Native".

Huh? Why the hell would anyone want to do that? It's madness. Helix Native is an AU Plug-in and works perfectly well in Logic. Simply take your audio signal in to a track with Native running as a plug-in is how it works.

Hi... glad that I'm talking to a seasoned expert as I'm a newbie and I find the amout of technical terms in the manual to be very confusing. 

I'm using an Apollo 8. From what I understand, I should be able to plug my guitar into Hi-Z input that routes to Console (UA Virtual Mixer), into Logic. Routing is Ch 1 on Console and Logic Input 1. Open Native as an FX plugin and voila signal is routed to Native without having to hook up my Helix LT. Is this correct? 

I know you don't need your Helix LT connected when using another audio interface. Helix Native is a device independent plugin. However, I'm not familiar with Apple, UA, and Logic products. How is your Apollo audio interface connected to your computer? I notice from the UA website that the Apollo 8 interface comes integrated with the LUNA Recording System, which presumably is not Logic Pro. Have you tried it?

On 1/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, TommyRckbttm said:

Hi... glad that I'm talking to a seasoned expert as I'm a newbie and I find the amout of technical terms in the manual to be very confusing. 

Hi again,

Seasoned expert? Well, that depends. I come from way back in the days of reel to reel tape recorders, then I started to play around with MIDI sequencing on Atari ST computers, before moving on to the Yamaha CX5 MkII MSX music computers, before ending up using various Macs and Logic in the late 1980s.

I have used all sorts of stuff to get audio into computers, Lucid Tech, M-Audio Audiophile, Focusrite Saffire, Line 6 POD and even the cheapo, cheapo (spit) Behringer U-Phoria. Never ever been in a position to throw in excess of two grand at an audio interface that - “I find the amount of technical terms in the manual to be very confusing.” Ye gods!

Yep, you’re correct about being able to stick the output of your Helix LT into the XLR input on the UAD Apollo 8, or even the input your guitar direct and record straight into Logic. That should be easy, but if you stick the UAD Console gizmo in between then that is a whole different kettle of fish. 

Best advice at the moment is to read, study and inwardly digest all the information about your Helix LT, Helix Native and the Apollo 8 before diving in at the deep end - or even the shallow end. This can be either complex or simple, depending on how you approach it. Let’s face it you ain’t Maverick and you would not attempt to fly his jet without knowing the basics.

I found this which may help, but as I don’t have access to an Apollo interface I have no idea about this Console system and how it helps or interferes with what you are trying to achieve. Check video.

I would be tempted to start small. First get the LT to record into Logic with just the dry audio via the XLR connection and bypass the Console thing. Once you can capture a straight guitar signal, then you can route it through HX Native. When that becomes second nature, then you can expand into all the bells and whistle of the bolt on bits that come with your Apollo.

If it was me starting out and I didn’t understand the “technical terms”, then I would stick a USB directly from the LT into the Mac and take the Apollo out of the picture for now. Someone once said - KISS!

Hope this helps/makes sense.