Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I use a condenser mic in Helix LT

aimdayco

Hello, I'm trying to find out if I can use a condenser mic, primarily for vocals, using my LT. I have a cheapy phantom power unit with the usual XLR sockets. Can I use it with the LT without blowing it up, and if so, how can I set it up? If I use the female XLR to 1/4 inch jack would that work and if so, where would I plug the 1/4 into?

Regards

I would try it using one of the Return 1/4” inputs, not the Guitar input. Unlike the Guitar input you can adjust the Level of the incoming signal at a Return input. You’ll likely need to do that for the incoming mic level signal. Before connecting the mic set the Return Level to minimum, then connect the mic and increase the level slowly until you get a good signal.

Hello Gents, severe apology for not getting back sooner. Many thanks for the info and yes, your tips worked great. I plugged the 48V unit into return 1 with a 1/4 inch jack, set a blank patch to return 1, selected Mic as the input and also preamp as the settings. I suppose it's up to the individual how to set the pre amp settings as everything is different, but the idea and feed works great. 

I have a wee boost switch on my mic which helps the signal, but if you guys wanted an extra little boost, what effect would you use? Currently I'm getting around -12dB, which isn't too bad, I don't want it too distorted. Many thanks again

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone run a Shure Supper 55 Delux mic through their helix?  I'm running through the Return 1, using the Line 6 Badonk amp model, with some reverb and delay.  It actually sounds pretty nice singing into it.   Curios if anyone has any other amp/settings suggestions for a vocal mic? 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Super55--shure-super-55-deluxe?fbclid=IwAR2hn6P1TR44BpLDWByu6whTUbB3HOevPXWdlJCll9k1LR35DhM7W3RMkAA

On 3/5/2023 at 9:58 PM, DrMetal said:

Anyone run a Shure Supper 55 Delux mic through their helix?  I'm running through the Return 1, using the Line 6 Badonk amp model, with some reverb and delay.  It actually sounds pretty nice singing into it.   Curios if anyone has any other amp/settings suggestions for a vocal mic? 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Super55--shure-super-55-deluxe?fbclid=IwAR2hn6P1TR44BpLDWByu6whTUbB3HOevPXWdlJCll9k1LR35DhM7W3RMkAA

Typically for vocal you need to have enough gain, so that the sound is uniform, you can add compressor to accomplish the same, then add reverb/delay.  I would not add any amp, unless you want special effects, like Leslie'ed vocals. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:58 AM, DrMetal said:

the Line 6 Badonk amp model, with some reverb and delay.

Hi,

The Badonk wouldn’t be my first choice for vocals, but with this stuff there are no hard and fast rules. If it works for you -great.

For vocals I would start by using the Studio Tube Pre, followed by a LA Comp. You mentioned some reverb and delay - that should be fine, along with possibly a slight chorus to thicken things a little - lots of choices there, including the ADT block or a Dimensions block to taste.

Also, your Super 55 Deluxe is a dynamic mic that is rated with an output impedance of 150 ohms - Low Impedance, (and as a similar thing recently came up in another thread on here), it might benefit by adding a Z-Changer between the mic and Return input.

https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Female-Matching-Transformer/dp/B0002BF1KG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1SVPP5VNI1L0T&keywords=lo+to+hi+impedance+matching+transformer+for+microphones&qid=1678119925&sprefix=lo+to+hi+impedance+matching+transformer+for+microphones+%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-5

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...