Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware Update Keeps Failing - Helix

penthalis

Good Afternoon,

I've fallen into the cycle of firmware update failure that I've seen posted here numerous times. I was coming from a very old Firmware (Could have been the first, don't think it's ever been updated). Following the suggestions I've ready here, I've downloaded the Line 6 Updater as well as the latest firmware, and attempted to update it through that. I get the update has been successful and that my Helix will reset. In doing so, I get the ""Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" 

Restart a few times and same thing. So, I enter the device into update mode (holding 6 and 12 buttons) and attempt do to the update again. Still, same thing. Updater says successful, Helix says, "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!". I've even tried to install an older firmware, all resulting in the same results. Any ideas? 

Thanks so much in advance for any advice that is given. 

Respectfully,

-Pen

On 3/15/2023 at 5:16 PM, penthalis said:

Good Afternoon,

I've fallen into the cycle of firmware update failure that I've seen posted here numerous times. I was coming from a very old Firmware (Could have been the first, don't think it's ever been updated). Following the suggestions I've ready here, I've downloaded the Line 6 Updater as well as the latest firmware, and attempted to update it through that. I get the update has been successful and that my Helix will reset. In doing so, I get the ""Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" 

Restart a few times and same thing. So, I enter the device into update mode (holding 6 and 12 buttons) and attempt do to the update again. Still, same thing. Updater says successful, Helix says, "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!". I've even tried to install an older firmware, all resulting in the same results. Any ideas? 

Thanks so much in advance for any advice that is given. 

Respectfully,

-Pen

Hi,

The thing that bothers me is in your post you say:- “I was coming from a very old Firmware (Could have been the first, don't think it's ever been updated)”.

There has been another recent post from someone updating to v3.50 from a version prior to 2.80 when there was a major change to the Helix Core. The Release Note for 3.50 say you can go directly to that version from any other, but that it may look as if the installation has occurred three times and may take way longer than the predicted approx 30 minutes. The “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode” is a known feature of the update and is thoroughly documented in the Release Notes. You didn’t give any indication of your update taking a great length of time to complete the process- most people complain about this - you didn’t.

You say that you have successfully updated but now you have the “Boot Failure” message on every restart? After a successful update your Helix should restart automatically and go through a quite lengthy process of rebuilding presets and this message displays on the screen to let you know what is happening - you make no mention of this? You can force the preset rebuild routine by holding down FS10 & 11 while turning on the mains power.

If this still bring up the “Boot Failure” message would seem to indicate a glitch in the update process and the best thing you can do is follow the instructions, to the letter, given in the link below. Do not deviate from the instructions, especially about having no other software running in the background and not using a hub. Remove the USB cable and reattach when it says to do so  in the instructions. Disconnect from the internet and do not let your computer go into any form of power saving mode while installing. If your computer loses focus on the task, the install will fail.

I don’t care if you think you have done all this before - humour me, and follow the instructions given in this link.

Release Notes here.

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

Thanks Pier and DataCommando. I've followed these steps again with the same result. I ended up installing the windows drivers from the site and, this time, after following your steps, it worked. So, I'll take the win. Again, thank you both. DataCommando, awesome instructions for troubleshooting the update. I was ready to ship this bad boy off to Line6. :)

Respectfully,

Pen

On 3/16/2023 at 4:25 AM, penthalis said:

I ended up installing the windows drivers from the site and, this time, after following your steps, it worked. So, I'll take the win.

Hi Pen,

Well done, you now have a fully functioning Helix - welcome to the “l fixed my Helix” club.

One BIG thing to remember is - when seeking assistance for any issues that you may encounter with your device, please state the computer and operating system that you are using. It helps to troubleshoot various odd things between the Windows and Mac OS. If we had known you were using Windows, we may have been able to solve your installation problem on the first pass.

Regards

Enjoy working with your new toy!