Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the Helix Control Floor for midi and plugins on computer or iPad

GoD_X

So I would need to have the helix rack to do this? Or can I just connect the controller via USB to the Mac like the FBV series? I don't think there is a midi editor for the helix controller like there is for the FBVs right? 

Every Helix comes with the capability to connect and control external devices via USB or by the multi pin USB connection on the larger units.  It's up to you to set everything up correctly to make the connections and send the appropriate CC and PC messages to whatever you're controlling.  You define the MIDI messages through HX Edit program typically or you can do it directly through the Helix interface.  Other than that, it's not clear what you're wanting to do exactly.  You can just plug it into your Mac, but the Plugins you're controlling would have to be configured in some way on the Mac (depending on the device and the plugin) to receive MIDI commands.  In the same way you can control the actions of the Helix from external MIDI devices also.  It's all extensively covered in the manual.

The helix control, as is now, is a passive unit that needs the Rack to work.

This means it's the Helix Rack that sends and receive MIDI, not the control. You cant use it alone, even if it has a usb port and a dedicated AC plug.

• Upvote 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:47 PM, GoD_X said:

Similar to what the FBVmkIII can do connected to usb?

Hi,

To do what you are describing the FBV MkIII is the easiest option, as it does all the things you mention and has the Editor. Lots of other Helix users have one patched into their DAW for plug-in operations.

The Line 6  Controller for the Helix Rack is not designed to work like you are hoping. It requires the Rack hardware to work.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:07 PM, silverhead said:

Hi,

That’s a great example of using the Helix Rack and Controller to automate things via MIDI in a DAW. Although, I rather had the impression that the OP thought it was possible by using the controller only, going by this comment:-

On 6/10/2023 at 4:28 AM, GoD_X said:

So I would need to have the helix rack to do this? Or can I just connect the controller via USB to the Mac like the FBV series? I don't think there is a midi editor for the helix controller like there is for the FBVs right?