Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Headphone problems

barnsleyboy

I posted on here sometime back about problems with the headphone output on my Helix floor. The left channel is significantly quieter than the right. It seemed to correct itself a while back, but has now come back again. I don't use the headphones often, but I wonder if a firmware update could have messed with things. Unfortunately I can't say for sure at what stage the issue corrected itself, or when it came back again in relation to which firmware version i was on.

Does this sound like it could be plausible? Has anyone else on here had this issue? If it's possible, I'm tempted to roll back the firmware versions to see if it makes a difference. The only thing is I don't want to brick the unit by messing around with it's inner secret "gubbins".

I did raise a ticket with the helpdesk, but there advice was to get it checked out by my UK service centre. I'm tempted, but worried about the likely cost (and that doesn't include the insured courier costs to get it to them!) As an alternative, has anybody got any recommendations for independent repairers in the East Anglian area who would be up to the job?

Any assistance or advice, much appreciated. (I've done the usual checking the headphones/ different set/ trying different patches/ etc.)

It sounds unlikely to me that firmware is the issue. I think it’s likely hardware, which is essentially what the help desk said.

However, there’s no harm in reinstalling the firmware (unless you don’t follow the instructions).   Use HX Edit to make backups first, then use Line 6 Updater to perform the update. Make sure HX Edit is not running when you launch Updater.

Not sure if this will do anything but if you have some Deoxit D5

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2JXN83RXV0EW9&keywords=deoxit&qid=1688052672&sprefix=deoxi%2Caps%2C383&sr=8-3

or something like it, put a spritz of it in there. Maybe even just do a puff of compressed air into the ouput.

• Upvote 2

Spitballing here.

IDK how far back your issue goes or how you create your presets, but one thing I've found is that when using dual cabs (or multiple amps/cabs in a stereo preset), different amp, speaker and mic combinations can cause imbalances in the stereo signal. Also panning.

Maybe unrelated, but something else to look into?

One interesting development, I was just tweaking the headphone volume control and noticed that at zero I get sound coming out of the left headphone channel. As I rotate clockwise, the right channel volume increases, but the left channel stays at the same volume. Turn it more clockwise and there is a total imbalance in the stereo signal. I wonder if it could be the volume pot that is faulty or the contacts need cleaning? I'm going to try squirting some contact cleaner in through the top with the hope that it somehow makes it's way down the pot shaft and into the internal wipers.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:52 PM, barnsleyboy said:

One interesting development, I was just tweaking the headphone volume control and noticed that at zero I get sound coming out of the left headphone channel. As I rotate clockwise, the right channel volume increases, but the left channel stays at the same volume. Turn it more clockwise and there is a total imbalance in the stereo signal. I wonder if it could be the volume pot that is faulty or the contacts need cleaning? I'm going to try squirting some contact cleaner in through the top with the hope that it somehow makes it's way down the pot shaft and into the internal wipers.

This is sounding like something that's been reported before. Try contacting support and emphasizing that last bit about the zero volume setting.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:34 PM, barnsleyboy said:

I've done a factory reset and rebuilt the presets to their factory settings, so nothing to do with multiple amps, or indeed scabs!! ;-)

Yes, scabs can be quite the problem!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, rd2rk said:

This is sounding like something that's been reported before. Try contacting support and emphasizing that last bit about the zero volume setting.

No need to contact support, I think I've found the issue. I'd assumed that it was the headphone socket that was the problem. It's actually the headphone pot. As I don't use headphones that often, the pot must have got gacked up with "guitarist dust and dander". I removed the knob, loosened the nut and gave it a good squirt with contact cleaner and with some vigorous twiddling, it seems to have got it going again.

If anone has the same problem, this might be the solution that you are looking for ..... Phew!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

It's actually the headphone pot. As I don't use headphones that often, the pot must have got gacked up with "guitarist dust and dander". I removed the knob, loosened the nut and gave it a good squirt with contact cleaner and with some vigorous twiddling, it seems to have got it going again.

Yes!

I had the exact same issue - with the headphone knob all the way off, there was a little output in the left side, and turning up the headphone knob only increased the volume of the right side. For years, I assumed it was a hardware problem. I completely removed the headphone knob, nut, and washer, and being careful not to let the pot knob fall into the unit, sprayed CLP (Cleaner Lubricant Protectant, or tuner cleaner) on there, even though you can't see where it is going. After vigorously turning the knob up and down all the way about ten times, wipe up the mess, reassemble and test.

Praise God, this worked. I am so glad. Thanks for posting the solution.

• Thanks 1