Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix vs Helix Native for a bedroom

Toha182

Hi guys,

I'm just discovering the modeling world and Helix has been recommended numerous times.

I downloaded Helix Native just to see what it can offer and I was satisfied. I found the tone I need and my macbook pro M2 could handle multiple instances of Native without any issue. My sound card is an old Tascam 2x2 and it can only do 32 sample buffer, but I didn't have an issue with that (maybe there is an issue I'm overlooking?).

I then went to a store to try Helix LT. I dropped my presets and the sound was off. I think the reason was that the unit didn't have the latest firmware. So, I'm currently hoping that Helix LT will give me at least the same sound as Native.

I'm now thinking whether I should make a leap of faith with Helix LT or stick with Native. My computer is much more powerful than Helix and I can upgrade my Tascam to something better, and the new interface will provide more use cases than a single-purpose guitar-focused unit. For the price of Helix I can get a really good interface like RME or UA. 

Please share your opinions and suggestions. Thank you all in advance.

The difference in tone that you heard is almost certainly a result of different equipment you were using in your home vs. store environment. It’s been confirmed numerous times that Helix Native and Helix devices, including the LT, are virtually indistinguishable when the same equipment and preset is used in each. It’s also very unlikely that a firmware update is responsible. So yes, you can be confident Helix LT will give you the same tone as Helix Native using the same external equipment.

At least one bit of equipment was different and that could be a huge factor: the audio interface/soundcard. The Helix LT uses a different audio ‘card’ than your Tascam. This alone could cause a significant change in tone.

Other relevant factors to consider include your guitar, headphones/monitors, and LT Global Settings. Did you bring and use your guitar in the store? Were you listening through exactly the same headphones or studio monitors? Also, was the Global EQ being used on the store’s LT?

• Upvote 3

On 9/5/2023 at 7:59 AM, Toha182 said:

So, I'm currently hoping that Helix LT will give me at least the same sound as Native.

Hi,

Confirmation - as if it really was needed - from the Helix Native Pilot's Guide - Page 3 - Welcome to Helix Native:

"Helix Native truly is the same set of astounding amps, cabs & effects as included within the ground-breaking Line 6 Helix hardware multi-effects units and shares the same simple user interface and workflow as the Line 6 HX® Edit editor application for Helix family devices.* Due to this design, all presets you create in Helix Native plugin are compatible and transferable to Helix hardware units via the HX Edit application so that you can take your presets from studio to the stage—and back again!"

Helix Native is the software only version of the sound engine inside the Helix hardware versions. The difference between the two is, the Helix LT hardware has a built in expression pedal, with the option to add second one, and a couple of Send/Return sockets, a Variax Input, plus a AES/EBU, Line 6 LINK digital output. If you will never need those functions, don't ever intend to play live and only ever work in a bedroom/studio environment, then you really don't need the Helix in a metal case as a solution. You may well be better off putting the cash towards a better audio interface. You could also add a a MIDI controller to give you real time volume swells and wah FX. The Behringer FCB1010 seems to be a popular option for this job. 

Just remember, any presets that you devise in your home environment using your specific gear probably would not sound identical in another listening space on a different montoring system. Presets would always require some adjustments  - that's just science, but near enough for jazz.

Hope this help/makes sense.

• Like 1

What they said.

I would only add that if your current AI gets down to 32 samples and has a 1M instrument input then you really don't even need to upgrade that, as the 2-3ms difference in latency will not really be worth the money. Spend it on that guitar you've been drooling over ;-)

• Upvote 1

If you'll be working in the studio, Helix Native is totally amazing. Don't overlook how great it can sound on other instruments (bass, vocals, drums, orchestral). Also, you're not limited by hardware if you want to make insane presets that suck the blood out of your CPU. 

With guitar, I use Helix Native primarily for multiband distortion presets. I haven't found any other amp sim that can do what Helix does. I also have Helix floor for live use, so being able to transfer sounds between the two is fantastic.

FWIW I'm very familiar with the Tascam 2x2, I used to have the 4x4 until I needed more inputs. I think those were highly underrated interfaces. I ran a bunch of tests, and the specs (frequency response, IM distortion, crosstalk, etc.) were excellent. 32 samples is fine, but if you can run it at 96 kHz, you'll reduce latency because the audio goes through the sample buffer twice as fast. 

• Thanks 1

When using Helix Native, it's important to use a Hi-Z or instrument input on your audio interface. Otherwise you could get a very dull tone.

The biggest difference between Helix and Helix Native is that Helix is designed to support live use. If you don't need that, then Helix Native is likely a better, and more flexible solution

• 2 weeks later...

If I have Helix Native, can I plug my guitar into a sound card and plug my guitar into the sound card and output from the sound card to my studio monitors? I have a Helix floor and use my desktop computer to edit. If I understand this thread correctly, I could get a sound card and sell my Helix Floor. Is that correct? I only play at home. 

You'd need a DAW or VST Host for Native but, yes, that would work.

Just don't cheap out on the sound card because your playing enjoyment will depend in large part on the latency (time between when you pick a note and when you hear it), and that depends on the quality of the sound card and how low you can set the buffers, which depends in part on your computer's processor and memory.

There're also some system configuration considerations, so Google that. Most mfrs of Audio Interfaces have a section on their websites covering the basics.

• Upvote 3

Most AIs don't have XLR outs, but adapters work fine. My Scarlett has balanced outs, so balanced 1/4" to XLR cables do the trick.

These are the ones I've been using for 7 years. Very nice cables.

Amazon.com: Monoprice XLR Male to 1/4-Inch TRS Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black, 16AWG, Gold Plated, High Fidelity and Eliminate Noise in the Recording Studio and On Stage - Premier Series : Musical Instruments

For short runs (<20ft) unbalanced 1/4" to XLR can also be gotten, but most quality AIs will have balanced outs.

• Upvote 2