Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HISSING NOISE WHEN PLAYING ON ALL AMPS - LOOKING FOR A FIX!

GEDDEY

Hi folks!

GEDD here.

Attached below is my preset.

Problem i am facing is that no matter which amp i select, i am getting a "hissing noise" when playing the guitar.

Note:

The input gate is on:

image.png

Amp being used:
image.png

I did try adding a noise gate in front of the amp:

image.png

What i notice is the noise gate just dampens the noise but does not eliminate it entirely.

Can i know if there exists a method / technique / way in which the noise can be eliminated?

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

Best regards!

GEDDEY - CLEAN.hlx

Edited by GEDDEY
Forgot to add a screenshot for better context

• GEDDEY changed the title to HISSING NOISE WHEN PLAYING ON ALL AMPS - LOOKING FOR A FIX!

1. If the noise gate doesn't entirely get rid of the hiss part of the hiss is probably added after the HX.

2. Guitar pickups tend to pick up noise from the environment - single coils much more so than humbuckers. With Strats or Teles try the noise canceling pickup positions. Also try moving the guitar and find a spot with minimal noise and hiss.

3.  Try the Dynamics -> Horizon Gate with Sens at 1 in Extnd mode (as starting point) in front of the amp. It's a dynamic low pass and tames high frequencies (hiss) instead of the whole signal.

4. Your amp setting has a maxed presence setting on a (bright cap treble boosted) Twin Vibrato channel. In other words - very accentuated high frequencies (and therefore accentuated hiss). A high cut after the amp will mitigate that.

On 9/5/2023 at 10:27 PM, rd2rk said:

You need to look at other possible causes - I'm getting no hiss or other noise whatsoever, even with both noise gates off.

If your guitar, cables and mains are ok, then maybe open a support ticket.

I am using a single coil strat. Do you think that can introduce some hiss?

On 9/5/2023 at 10:50 PM, GEDDEY said:

I am using a single coil strat. Do you think that can introduce some hiss?

Depends on the electromagnetic fields in the room. Compare the in between pickup positions with the single coils (2,4 vs 1,3,5) - then you know (unless you have rather rare non-reverse-wound middle pickup).

In my room my PC introduces some hiss and I need to turn a specific angle or move away to minimize it on single coils.

Take a look at factory presets, and find a preset that sounds like what you are trying to accomplish... swap out one piece at a time until you build your desired signal chain.  Hissing usually means way too much gain, output signal too hot, too much high frequencies in your overall sound. 

According to Steve Sterlacci, your preset should be about as loud as a completely empty blank preset.  A lot of people really max out their presets and make them too loud.  This introduces unwanted hissing (that you will also find in real-world amps as well if you dime them like that).