Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

V500, Reoccurring Issue W/ External Power

Hi,

I have a 2005 Variax 500 that has an issue that has reappeared after having it fixed once in the past.

The issue is:  When connected to external power (described below) the sound/signal output of the Variax goes on and off (or cuts in and out), approx. 1.5 seconds "on" and .5 second "off", over and over.  Like this:  Sound, no sound, sound, no sound, etc.  Could be that the power input is cycling, thus causing the sound output to cycle on/off as well.  Not sure of root cause.

The V500 is connected to external power ("by the book") via connection as follows:

Original Line6 120VAC to 9VAC Power Supply (PN MW48T) --> Original Line6 Switch box --> Original Planet Waves TRS cable --> V500 Jack Plate

The 1/4 inch out of the Switch Box is connected to a guitar amp, powered on, and ready for play, the Switch Box footswitch is toggled to "1/4" (output to the 1/4" Jack then to the guitar amp), the Switch Box "Power" Light is "lit" confirming external power to the Switch Box. 

Additional observations:

1)  With 6 AAs in the battery pack installed (and no external power), V500 output connected direct from its Jack Plate 1/4" to guitar amp 1/4" via regular (not TRS) cable, the Variax works normally.  Issue appears to be related to external power.

2)  For exactly the same issue, approx. 3 years ago, I took the Variax to a local Line6 recommended authorized service location. After diagnosing, Auth Service said the issue was with the Jack Plate.  After paying for parts and labor for them to replace the Jack Plate, the Variax worked for maybe another 2 years, now it has the same issue all over again. 

3)  When the Jack Plate was replaced by Auth Service, the part they installed looks to be the same Jack Plate part as is used by more current Variax (rather than like the original with the "boot" cover).  The replacement Jack Plate is the newer version that has a trap door over the Ethernet port.(PN 50-04-0181-4 Full Compass).

4)  I recently obtained a JTV-69 Variax (on my way to the Dream Rig!) and verified the same original external power configuration works properly with the new Variax.

So here I am now, same issue as before.  I prefer to power the Variax via external power.  I can risk the approx. $30 US for the part, replace the Jack Plate myself, and hope that fixes the Variax (again).  I can't remove the Jack Plate from the JTV and try it on the V500 to see if that fixes it before I order a replacement because it appears the JTV Jack Plate is a different part # than for the V500.

I am surprised because I seem to be the only user this has happened/happens to.  Also with the revised Jack Plate installed at the first repair, I could not have thereafter accidentally shorted anything because the Ethernet port is covered by the trap door.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?  Any advice/wisdom WRT this issue?

Thank you,

-Gary K

Edited by egkor

It is strange that with the jtv is working good... Stupid question, but did you had the battery in the jtv when you tried it?

Hi, what I'm pointing out is, the issue is not with the external power chain itself since it successfully powers the JTV.  It is pointing at something about the Variax 500 not working with known good external power, but working with battery power.

Now if you are asking if I tried the V500 with external power connected, and AA battery pack installed, no I have not tried that yet. 

But what I want is for the V500 to work solely when connected to external power.

Thanks!

-Gary K

No, what I mean is the battery from the jtv if it was removed. In case it was removed, and the jtv is working properly, it could be a problem from your variax 500, could be a cable short circuiting from inside the guitar body. That would explain the power cut off-work when on electricity, and the reason the guitar is working properly with the batteries.

Just my 1 cent of though...

No, what I mean is the battery from the jtv if it was removed. In case it was removed, and the jtv is working properly, it could be a problem from your variax 500, could be a cable short circuiting from inside the guitar body. That would explain the power cut off-work when on electricity, and the reason the guitar is working properly with the batteries.

Just my 1 cent of though...

Ahh ...  I see!

No, the battery was not in the JTV when I powered it via the external power supply.

Thanks again,

-Gary K

Welcome Gary  :) If you have an authorized center in your area, I would strongly suggest you to sent your guitar there and explain them the problem. Or you can check by yourself by opening your guitar and see if the cables are ok near the 1/4 cable input of your guitar. (sometimes even the soldered metal goes off)

in past   if  some users   left the batteries  in there older  variax when using  external  power  the  main board  would  cycle  bac  and  fourth  to both  power  supplies.  removing the batteries   solved  this  problem  for  some . others  found  that there  was  a resistor problem  on the main board.

in past   if  some users   left the batteries  in there older  variax when using  external  power  the  main board  would  cycle  bac  and  fourth  to both  power  supplies.  removing the batteries   solved  this  problem  for  some . others  found  that there  was  a resistor problem  on the main board.

Thanks for your input!

Update:  Since the issue was solved once in the past by replacing the Jack assembly, I'm going to try that.  I have a replacement Jack assembly on order from Fullcompass, I will change this out and repost with results.

-Gary K

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Gary, please let me know if it fits.  I need to replace the jack in my 500 as well.  The connections has gotten loose for the VDI cable over time.  I was leary to order that part as it doesn't specifically say that it fits the 500.

• 3 months later...

I've had the problem and it's a simple fix...there is a 47mF, 16v capacitor soldered to your jack plate...either one leg is not making contact ( my neg terminal ) or the cap needs replacing...mere pennies not $24 for another jackplate...remove screws and cover plate from the back of the ax and unplug the main connector to the board,( no heat buildup transferred to the main board ), unscrew and pull jackplate out of guitar and resolder or replace cap...reattach wire harness to main board and test with external power pedal

• 4 weeks later...