Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering trying a Helix again but...

357mag

...when I tried one I couldn't get a nice, heavy, chunky guitar sound out of it. I'm a Marshall man. I love Marshalls. Not the Plexi so much but the JCM-800. My X3 has an awesome sounding 800. I love it.

But when I tried the Helix they must have modeled a different 800. Just didn't really like the sound I got out of it. I have seen a few YouTube demonstrations and the guys do appear to be getting good, chunky guitar sounds, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Have any of you been able to get good heavy metal type sounds out of it?

On 10/15/2023 at 7:34 PM, 357mag said:

...when I tried one I couldn't get a nice, heavy, chunky guitar sound out of it. I'm a Marshall man. I love Marshalls. Not the Plexi so much but the JCM-800. My X3 has an awesome sounding 800. I love it.

But when I tried the Helix they must have modeled a different 800. Just didn't really like the sound I got out of it. I have seen a few YouTube demonstrations and the guys do appear to be getting good, chunky guitar sounds, so I don't know what I did wrong.

Hi,

In a way you’ve managed to answer your own question with this comment - “I have seen a few YouTube demonstrations and the guys do appear to be getting good, chunky guitar sounds, so I don't know what I did wrong.”

As you mention the sound of a Marshall JCM800, I will point you to this blog from Digital Igloo (Eric Klein), as the 800 is used as his opening example.

https://blog.line6.com/2023/09/15/eric-klein-at-least-half-of-your-modelers-sound-is-determined-by-your-playback-system/

That’s the second time today that I have had to point someone to this article.

Hope it helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando

You're in my territory.. I use the Helix almost exclusively for high gain stuff, marshall being my most used tone.

However, I will tell you the Plexi and the 800 on the Helix are rubbish. The modded 2204 though, is very good, and that amp really is the go to amp in the Helix

for hard rock and metal. Pair that amp with some of the new cabs and you can get some pretty nice results.

On 10/15/2023 at 2:34 PM, 357mag said:

Has anyone gotten good results? Yes... the proof is everywhere, as you've already discovered trolling youtube. However, as with any piece of gear... and modelers especially... the results are entirely subjective. You'll either get along with Helix, or you won't... and there's exactly one way to find out.

Mostly it boils down managing expectations and having patience. A "plug and play device" it's not. If you go into it expecting to be up and running and thoroughly satisfied 5 minutes after you open the box, you will probably end up frustrated and disappointed. But if you're willing to put the time in, then it's very likely that you'll figure out how to produce the tones you want...but it will take time.

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2023 at 8:45 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Mostly it boils down managing expectations and having patience. A "plug and play device" it's not.

Absolutely! In fact, getting a good guitar sound was never plug and play. In the studio, it could take hours to choose mics and set them up correctly. Then it took more time to use the studio's processors (like dynamics, EQ, delay, etc.) to process the sound further. The idea that engineers used to put an amp in a studio, stick a mic in front of it, and get a great sound is unfortunately a myth. Trust me on this - I remember those $150+/hour studio time bills all too well!

Often when optimizing a sound with Helix, I keep trying unsuccessfully to get it to sound right. Then just before giving up I change one parameter and all of a sudden, it's exactly the right sound. Versatility is a double-edged sword.

• Upvote 3