Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3.70 New "Feedbacker" pedal not installed?

mattsteeves

On 12/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, mattsteeves said:

but the "Feedback" pedal under Dynamics is missing. I searched every other category for it.

Hi,

It’s not missing - it’s right there where it should be.

It’s a MONO effect.

“† The Feedbacker model utilizes DSP-intensive polyphonic pitch shifting and, therefore, is mono.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:03 AM, MGW-Alberta said:

DSP-intensive is right.

Wow.

Yeah, it sure is, but it was a much requested feature that comes at a cost. I guess some folks should be careful of what they wish for, although it seems to have pleased most of them.

Still, there is the option to add a hardware version via the FX Loop - either with a genuine FreqOut pedal, a new HX One, or one of the other pseudo feedback pedals available.

On 12/2/2023 at 10:03 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

DSP-intensive is right.

Yes, but there are workarounds. I've even done some presets where the Feedbacker is in parallel, going through its own amp. It's a cool sound! BUT, I do have to pay serious attention to the processing power of the modules in the presets. Sometimes it's worth dipping into Legacy World for effects that are more miserly about processing power.

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, mattsteeves said:

I've successfully update my Helix Floor to the new firmware and have access to the new amps and effects, but the "Feedback" pedal under Dynamics is missing. I searched every other category for it. Has this happened to anyone else?

It has happened to me today. I followed all the steps (had the latest HX Edit version, backed up my helix, updated, factory reset and restore from backup), as usual. The feedbacker is not there. All other new additions are.

I wonder what happened this time 

On 12/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, datacommando said:

What happened was - you didn’t read my reply posted above, which explains that it is a MONO effect!

Look under Dynamics Models > MONO

Nope. I knew it's a dynamics mono effect before I read your post. Actually, after dynamics mono, I checked ALL the categories just in case there was a mistake in the release notes.

In dynamics>mono, I can see, in this order, deluxe comp, red squueze, kinky comp, ampeg octo comp, Rochester comp, la studio comp, 3-band comp, nose gate, hard gate, horizon gate and autoswell. Not any feedbacker.

The feedbacker will appear as last in the Dynamics->Mono list unless the patch doesn't provide enough DSP reserve for it.

Normally unusable items are greyed out in a list - but seemingly not if they are the last item.

I'd call it a bug because it is inconsistent visibility of items based on their position in a list.

And because once you free DSP resources so that the Feedbacker shows up in the list - it then gets greyed out if you again exceed DSP resevere.

• Upvote 2

On 12/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, Schmalle said:

The feedbacker will appear as last in the Dynamics->Mono list unless the patch doesn't provide enough DSP reserve for it.

Normally unusable items are greyed out in a list - but seemingly not if they are the last item.

I'd call it a bug because it is inconsistent visibility of items based on their position in a list.

And because once you free DSP resources so that the Feedbacker shows up in the list - it then gets greyed out if you again exceed DSP resevere.

Aaah, there it is. Thanks! Wow, it is indeed DSP insensitive. I could only add one amp+cab block to the preset. Not sure if I'll use it :-/

and yeah, it should appear as grey, not disappear. That's totally a bug to me.

• Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, molul said:

Nope. I knew it's a dynamics mono effect before I read your post. Actually, after dynamics mono, I checked ALL the categories just in case there was a mistake in the release notes.

In dynamics>mono, I can see, in this order, deluxe comp, red squueze, kinky comp, ampeg octo comp, Rochester comp, la studio comp, 3-band comp, nose gate, hard gate, horizon gate and autoswell. Not any feedbacker.

HX EDIT - showing Feedbacker not Selectable

IMG_0624.jpg

HELIX - showing Feedbacker not Selectable

IMG_0623.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2023 at 7:20 PM, datacommando said:

HX EDIT - showing Feedbacker not Selectable

IMG_0624.jpg

HELIX - showing Feedbacker not Selectable

IMG_0623.jpg

Yeah, that wasn't happening to me. Had a preset with a couple of amp+cab and some effects, and the feedbacker wouldn't appear, as explained above. Seems like a bug.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, Schmalle said:

On the device it is a different story. It won't show up in the list until your patch has enough DSP resereve.

Hi,

That second photo is my Helix showing the same preset as the one in the HX Edit image. The pictures show an example where I was attempting to add the “Feedbacker” block to a preset in which both the DSPs are almost maxed out. Both images show that the “Feedbacker” is NOT available to use in the signal chain.

In the post from @molul the quote is:- “and yeah, it should appear as grey, not disappear.” Looks like it is visible in my pic.

If you guys think that this is a bug then the best thing to do is report it by raising a ticket with Customer Support. The more reports, the faster there will be a fix, if it needs one. I cannot report it because I am not seeing that “bug” - see pics again.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, molul said:

I could only add one amp+cab block to the preset. Not sure if I'll use it :-/

You might want to give it another try, you can do quite a lot depending on what blocks you choose. The following all fit into HX Stomp. My current favorite preset is a parallel path:

Heir Apparent > Brit 2203 Amp+Cab > Stereo Simple Delay
Feedbacker > Studio Comp

But I also like this parallel preset:

Parametric EQ > Line 6 Voltage Amp+Cab > Stereo Simple Delay
Feedbacker > Soup Pro Amp+Cab

You can do weirdass creative things with Feedbacker, too. This preset generates ambient background music all by itself: 

4 OSC Generator > Tremolo > Tremolo > Feedbacker > Low and High Cut EQ > Mandarin 80 Amp+Cab > Legacy Particle Verb

I put it on in the background when I've had a rough day :)

I've tried to reproduce the "bug" but no luck. Since the feedbacker appeared as gray for the first time, now it always appears gray (instead of not appearing at all as before) when there's not enough DSP. Maybe it's a one time only thing.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:03 AM, molul said:

I've tried to reproduce the "bug" but no luck. Since the feedbacker appeared as gray for the first time, now it always appears gray (instead of not appearing at all as before) when there's not enough DSP. Maybe it's a one time only thing.

Try it on an empty preset.  It will always show as greyed out if the preset you're using it on doesn't have enough available DSP for it.