Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Send L into Amp FX return issue

afraz87

Hey guys,

I'm trying out different approaches to create a patch which allows me to connect to both FOH and an onstage amp (via FX return). One of the approaches I am trying is:

MAIN L/R -> DIST -> AMP -> SPLIT -> DELAY & REVERB IN PARALLEL -> MERGE -> SEND L -> IR -> EQ -> MAIN L/R

Main output L is going to FOH

and Send L is going into FX Return of an EVH 5150

I've seen this work in a lot of videos and posts here but when I do this there is a very loud noise that comes from my speaker cabinet, at earsplitting loud levels. I don't know if its feedback or what.

The FX Return of the amp is fine by itself, ive tried 4CM and that works perfectly fine.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 09.52.33.png

I found the issue. But not sure I understand it.

I turned down the send level to -50DB and now its at a non ear shattering level. But im not sure if this is whats meant to happen. Setting it that low sounds a bit silly.

Is send meant to be WAY louder than normal output?

I wonder if send is meant to be the equivalent of the master knob turned up all the way.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:44 AM, afraz87 said:

I found the issue. But not sure I understand it.

I turned down the send level to -50DB and now its at a non ear shattering level. But im not sure if this is whats meant to happen. Setting it that low sounds a bit silly.

Is send meant to be WAY louder than normal output?

I wonder if send is meant to be the equivalent of the master knob turned up all the way.

What signal level are you sending and what signal level is expected in your amp?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:16 AM, DunedinDragon said:

What signal level are you sending and what signal level is expected in your amp?

THIS^^^

A quick look at the manual (5150III) indicates that it expects INSTRUMENT level. Most modern amps expect that.

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:16 PM, DunedinDragon said:

On 2/2/2024 at 3:56 PM, rd2rk said:

THIS^^^

A quick look at the manual (5150III) indicates that it expects INSTRUMENT level. Most modern amps expect that.

This is the first thing I checked. All output levels are sent to Instrument. For the MAIN L/Rs as well as SEND.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just that you're plugging into a HOT tube power amp.

You could use the Vitriol preamps to match (A/B) the EVH channels and figure out what their actual levels are. Probably quite low.