Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 HX Effects - Snapshot Names In Stomp Mode

C4TH

Hi there,

I love that Line 6 made Snapshots available in Stompmode, and I have been using my HX in this form for a while now. Line 6 have now made the snapshots available to be cycled through on one footswitch, which is really helpful. The problem I've been experiencing though, is that in Stomp Mode, the current snapshot being used is not named ie, clean, verse, crunch, etc. It just says - Snapshot. So it's very difficult to cycle through the snapshot on one foot switch, as you can't see which snap you're actively using. Has anyone else experienced this? And are Line 6 aware of this issue?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Don't know about HXFX (I have Helix Floor and HX Stomp), but IME if you NAME the Snapshots, the Snapshot that the switch leads to is what is displayed.

If SS1 is called CLEAN and has the FS set to go to SS2 (CRUNCH), then the display will say CRUNCH.

Then, if in SS2 that FS is set to go back to SS1 (CLEAN), then the display will say "CLEAN".

Makes sense to me. It doesn't work like that in HXFX?

You could always post a request for an option over on Ideascale.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 10:54 PM, rd2rk said:

Don't know about HXFX (I have Helix Floor and HX Stomp), but IME if you NAME the Snapshots, the Snapshot that the switch leads to is what is displayed.

If SS1 is called CLEAN and has the FS set to go to SS2 (CRUNCH), then the display will say CRUNCH.

Then, if in SS2 that FS is set to go back to SS1 (CLEAN), then the display will say "CLEAN".

Makes sense to me. It doesn't work like that in HXFX?

You could always post a request for an option over on Ideascale.

So if you're on SS1 Clean, will it say Clean, or does it say Snapshot? Because with my HXFX the active SS just says "Snapshot", and doesn't let me know which one I'm currently using until I step on another SS.

Hope that makes sense.

Did you name the snapshots? If so, the scribble strip should show the name of the snapshot, snapshot being the default name of an otherwise unnamed snapshot.

At least, that's how it works on Helix and HXS. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 10:25 PM, rd2rk said:

Did you name the snapshots? If so, the scribble strip should show the name of the snapshot, snapshot being the default name of an otherwise unnamed snapshot.

At least, that's how it works on Helix and HXS. 

Thank for the reply. Yes, all Snapshots are named. I've got SS1 Verse - SS2 Chorus - SS3 Solo - SS4 Outro, yet whichever SS is active, will just say "Snapshot". 

On 2/22/2024 at 12:44 PM, C4TH said:

Thank for the reply. Yes, all Snapshots are named. I've got SS1 Verse - SS2 Chorus - SS3 Solo - SS4 Outro, yet whichever SS is active, will just say "Snapshot". 

Could be it works differently on the HXFX. Maybe someone who has one of those will reply.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 7:44 PM, C4TH said:

Yes, all Snapshots are named. I've got SS1 Verse - SS2 Chorus - SS3 Solo - SS4 Outro, yet whichever SS is active, will just say "Snapshot". 

Hi,

Check out page 32 > Customising a Snapshot Footswitch’s Name and Colour in the HXFX Manual.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a411710a6112a67116f0b/application/pdf/HX Effects 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

If this is how you are creating and saving your Snapshots and you are not getting the correct result, you may have found a “bug” that needs investigating. If this is the case you should contact Customer Support to raise a ticket, unless another FX user can help out. Having said that, as all Helix units share the same basic firmware, if it was a bug then others would probably have this issue on other hardware.

When weird stuff happens - a factory reset usually helps.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The same thing happens for me (HXFX, 3.71).  I have two snapshots created and named.  When I enter snapshot mode (bank up+down) they both names show properly.  I set up foot switch one using command center like so:

snapshot 1 - press/release press = snapshot 2, release = snapshot 2 

snapshot 2 - press/release press = snapshot 1, release = snapshot 1

When I press FS 1, it does indeed toggle between the 2 snapshots as intended, but the scribble switch always just says "snapshot".

Another weirdness is that it seems to be necessary to make both press and release go to the desired snapshot.  I originally set release = none, assuming that meant nothing would happen on release.  But instead, when release = none it takes two presses of the FS.  First press does nothing, second press toggles as intended.  I don't understand that at all.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I set everything up using HX Edit, not on the unit itself.  That includes both the command center stuff and the snapshot names.  The snapshot names do show correctly on the scribble strips when in preset select mode.

•  
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2024 at 5:48 PM, loonsailor said:

The same thing happens for me (HXFX, 3.71).  I have two snapshots created and named.  When I enter snapshot mode (bank up+down) they both names show properly.  I set up foot switch one using command center like so:

snapshot 1 - press/release press = snapshot 2, release = snapshot 2 

snapshot 2 - press/release press = snapshot 1, release = snapshot 1

When I press FS 1, it does indeed toggle between the 2 snapshots as intended, but the scribble switch always just says "snapshot".

Another weirdness is that it seems to be necessary to make both press and release go to the desired snapshot.  I originally set release = none, assuming that meant nothing would happen on release.  But instead, when release = none it takes two presses of the FS.  First press does nothing, second press toggles as intended.  I don't understand that at all.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I set everything up using HX Edit, not on the unit itself.  That includes both the command center stuff and the snapshot names.  The snapshot names do show correctly on the scribble strips when in preset select mode.

•  

Will the attached preset import to HXFX? I tested by importing it into Natve in HXFX compatibility mode, so it should.

Assuming that it does, tell me if it changes anything.

Test SS Name.hlx

Thanks, rd2rk.  When I first import and load the preset, FS1 has the label Dirt.  But, when I press it the strip switches to "snapshot".  Repeated presses toggle between the two snapshots, but the scribble strip always just says Snapshot.

However, the FS LED does change color.  I set different colors on my own preset's snapshots, and it also changes color.

Seems like a bug.  I've had my unit since they first came out, but this is the first time I've needed snapshots, so I don't know if it worked properly on a previous version.

• Upvote 2

You should contact support. Call if you can, you'll get better support than opening a ticket. I'm interested what they say about it. I'm thinking about getting one to use with my Catalyst. I'd have a trifecta - Helix Floor (with PC212+ - the "Big Rig"), HX Stomp (on my desk in the office) and HXFX for the grab'n'go jam rig! Yes, I'm one of those Gear Slutz!

I see you live in Berzerkley. I used to live up the street from Ho Chi Minh park in the '70s. Crazy days!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 3:59 AM, loonsailor said:

Thanks, rd2rk.  When I first import and load the preset, FS1 has the label Dirt.  But, when I press it the strip switches to "snapshot".  Repeated presses toggle between the two snapshots, but the scribble strip always just says Snapshot.

However, the FS LED does change color.  I set different colors on my own preset's snapshots, and it also changes color.

Seems like a bug.  I've had my unit since they first came out, but this is the first time I've needed snapshots, so I don't know if it worked properly on a previous version.

Thanks for confirming this, @loonsailor 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:44 PM, C4TH said:

Thanks for confirming this, @loonsailor 

Hi,

It would be advisable to contact Customer Support and raise a ticket, stating the you have discovered a “bug”. 

The more that people that inform them, the faster there could be a fix - they cannot fix what the don’t know about, and Line 6 staff do not frequent this forum.

On 2/23/2024 at 12:51 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

It would be advisable to contact Customer Support and raise a ticket, stating the you have discovered a “bug”. 

The more that people that inform them, the faster there could be a fix - they cannot fix what the don’t know about, and Line 6 staff do not frequent this forum.

I submitted a ticket an hour ago, as well as posting in the Bugs stream of this forum last night.

• Upvote 2

Funny story.  Turns out not to be a bug.  I submitted this issue as a support ticket and in response Pete in Line6 customer support pointed out that the problem is that global setting MENU > Global Settings > Switches > "Stomp Select" was set to "both".  What that means is that when I pressed the FS, it went into setting mode, and the scribble strip reflected that.  Changing the global setting to "touch" solved the problem.  Now, to make a change in the FS setting I'd need to touch, rather than press that (or any other) FS, but that's fine with me.

Thanks, Line6 support (and Pete) for a prompt, helpful response!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 2/27/2024 at 3:39 AM, loonsailor said:

Funny story.  Turns out not to be a bug.  I submitted this issue as a support ticket and in response Pete in Line6 customer support pointed out that the problem is that global setting MENU > Global Settings > Switches > "Stomp Select" was set to "both".  What that means is that when I pressed the FS, it went into setting mode, and the scribble strip reflected that.  Changing the global setting to "touch" solved the problem.  Now, to make a change in the FS setting I'd need to touch, rather than press that (or any other) FS, but that's fine with me.

Thanks, Line6 support (and Pete) for a prompt, helpful response!

Thank you so much @loonsailor for taking the time and finding out what was going on. At first it didn't work, but after a factory reset, it now works perfectly.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided not to start a new thread but to write in this one because the topic seems related. Like the author, I also use snapshots in stomp mode, and it's true that the names of the snapshots are not visible when they are in edit mode. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, edit mode is always set on one of the FS. I thought, therefore, I would use an empty FS or one to which I have a specific effect assigned. However, it turns out that there's a bug in the software, which results in the edit mode being selected randomly, as shown in the video below (Originally, the edit mode is marked for FS6 and then, unexpectedly, for FS2.)

In my opinion, the solution would be to abandon the default marking of FS in edit mode, or for HX to remember which FS should be in this mode by saving the preset. Or another option: displaying the full name of the snapshot when its assigned FS is being edited.

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2024 at 6:27 AM, yan_kees said:

I've decided not to start a new thread but to write in this one because the topic seems related. Like the author, I also use snapshots in stomp mode, and it's true that the names of the snapshots are not visible when they are in edit mode. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, edit mode is always set on one of the FS. I thought, therefore, I would use an empty FS or one to which I have a specific effect assigned. However, it turns out that there's a bug in the software, which results in the edit mode being selected randomly, as shown in the video below (Originally, the edit mode is marked for FS6 and then, unexpectedly, for FS2.)

In my opinion, the solution would be to abandon the default marking of FS in edit mode, or for HX to remember which FS should be in this mode by saving the preset. Or another option: displaying the full name of the snapshot when its assigned FS is being edited.

This is a user-to-user support forum.

Nobody from L6 hangs out here.

If you believe this to be a bug, open a support ticket to report it.

If it's a bug that has previously been acknowledged by L6, then post your suggestion for a fix here, where someone from L6 will see it:

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/

• Upvote 1