Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: routing Ine-ear-Mix thru the HX Stomp

lausens

Hey, I was wondering if I can route this way:

1) Bass through the Main-Ins to Main-Out.

2) The In-ear-Mix (the signal that normally goes to the "Body-Pack") through the returns.

3) Listen via Headphone-Jack to both Bass and In-Ear-Mix.

So far I got: 1) and 2) working correctly... but I only hear the bass through the headphone-jack - without the In-Ear-Mix (coming from Returns) :-(

Can you guys help?

Thank you in advance!

Alex.

The HP monitors the Main Outs OR the SENDS. 

In Gobal Settings Ins/Outs set PHONES MONITOR to MAIN L/R.

Place a SEND L at the end of your signal chain. That goes to FOH and/or wherever the band's In-Ear Mix comes from.

In Global Settings Ins/Outs set RETURN TYPE to AUX IN.

Take your In-Ear Mix into the RETURNS.

• Upvote 1

That sounds like a recipe for a feedback loop.

Bass >> HX >> mains to Desk >> Desk FB to HX in >> HX mains..... you can see where that's going.

To achieve HX to desk without a loop would require an output pre the return of mix from desk that is routed to your IEMs.

I have a Helix but I'm sure there's a way of sorting that routing for the HX at the expense of blocks.

TBH - even with the full Helix I run the IEMs from the desk back to a dedicated headphone amp with my guit in the mix. I have a strong preference for separation of hardware functions reducing decencies and complexity, and allowing fallback solutions. But YMMV.

Headphones Out and Mains Out are coupled: what you hear through headphones you'll also hear through Mains.

So you'd need to use the Send Out to feed FOH.

Insert a Send L block last in the chain.

Or alternatively - to save a block -  see and follw the manual's routing tips "Setting Path B's Output' and use Stereo as Type and Pan L100 in the Output Send L/R block (this way you effectively have a balanced out like with Send L).

Set Global Settings->Ins/Outs->Return Type to Aux In. This will directly mix the return signal to Mains/Headphones without the need of an FX Loop block.

Hey guys, first of all: you guys rock!

Hmmm... it is not quite solved yet.

What @rd2rk and @Schmalle wrote is working (thank you so much!). But! Then I can either send the bass with effects via HP to my ear OR via send to FOH. I cannot do both. See:

On 2/28/2024 at 1:41 AM, rd2rk said:

The HP monitors the Main Outs OR the SENDS.

And that's so true. Sadly.

Or am I missing something?

@waymda: I get it, but it is not a loop because I do not want FOH to receive the IEM :-)

On 3/1/2024 at 8:39 AM, lausens said:

Hey guys, first of all: you guys rock!

Hmmm... it is not quite solved yet.

What @rd2rk and @Schmalle wrote is working (thank you so much!). But! Then I can either send the bass with effects via HP to my ear OR via send to FOH. I cannot do both. See:

Or am I missing something?

@waymda: I get it, but it is not a loop because I do not want FOH to receive the IEM :-)

If you're configured as I described then you should hear BOTH the FOH/IEM feed (including the bass if your mix includes it) AND your direct bass signal.

I tried it before I typed it, it works.

I just tried it again to be sure I hadn't missed/mistyped anything.

It still works. I'm getting the FOH/IEM mix (in my case here at home that's Spotify) including my bass and the direct bass signal both mixed in the HPs.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:39 PM, lausens said:

I mean it's not a big deal and it works. A Global Settings option to route AUX only to headphones would make things significantly easier though.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:57 AM, Schmalle said:

I mean it's not a big deal and it works. A Global Settings option to route AUX only to headphones would make things significantly easier though.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

With the RETURNS set to AUX and the IEM/FOH signal connected there, PHONES MONITOR set to MAIN L/R gets that.

If he's not getting enough of his bass in the mix (which I assume to be the problem) because everybody is getting the SAME mix and he wants more of HIM in his Headphones, then the configuration I described gets him that.

Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

On 3/1/2024 at 8:13 PM, rd2rk said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

With the RETURNS set to AUX and the IEM/FOH signal connected there, PHONES MONITOR set to MAIN L/R gets that.

If he's not getting enough of his bass in the mix (which I assume to be the problem) because everybody is getting the SAME mix and he wants more of HIM in his Headphones, then the configuration I described gets him that.

Or am I misunderstanding your suggestion?

AUX (monitor mix) + MAIN L/R (bass) to Phones but AUX not to MAIN L/R (only bass to FOH) is what I'm advocating for.

Basically this means you can use monitor mix on phones with straight forward "no fx loop nonsense" patches.

On 3/1/2024 at 1:11 PM, Schmalle said:

AUX (monitor mix) + MAIN L/R (bass) to Phones but AUX not to MAIN L/R (only bass to FOH) is what I'm advocating for.

Right, that's why the SEND goes to FOH. The AUX (FOH/IEM mix) coming in from the RETURNS only goes to the MAIN L/R and therefore the Headphones along with the bass (the SEND Dry Thru is left at 0db so the bass passes thru). The actual MAIN L/R Outs are not connected anywhere.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:22 PM, rd2rk said:

Right, that's why the SEND goes to FOH. The AUX (FOH/IEM mix) coming in from the RETURNS only goes to the MAIN L/R and therefore the Headphones along with the bass (the SEND Dry Thru is left at 0db so the bass passes thru). The actual MAIN L/R Outs are not connected anywhere.

I understand and even suggested exactly that Send solution above. Why? Because the simple Out L/R solution is currently not possible.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 1:59 PM, Schmalle said:

I understand and even suggested exactly that Send solution above. Why? Because the simple Out L/R solution is currently not possible.

OK, I re-read your post. Yes, a Global Settings option would be simpler but, ALAS! It is what it is.

I suppose someone could post that up on Ideascale... :-) ...  that sound is me not holding my breath...

• Haha 1

AAAARRRGGGHHH, it is working!

Guys, that is so cool!

I only got this to work with the Send-Block at the end of the chain. It shouldn't be a Send-L because then I only feed FOH left. 

You knows what that means?

I mean, how important that is?

HX Stomp is also a 2 channel-In-ear-Mixer.

So if you (like me) receive a too edited signal of yourself via FOH-Monitor-Mix and the likes you can mix your original sound into your personal IEM-Mix.

Woooohooo!

Thank you guys!

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2024 at 8:14 PM, lausens said:

AAAARRRGGGHHH, it is working!

Guys, that is so cool!

I only got this to work with the Send-Block at the end of the chain. It shouldn't be a Send-L because then I only feed FOH left. 

You knows what that means?

I mean, how important that is?

HX Stomp is also a 2 channel-In-ear-Mixer.

So if you (like me) receive a too edited signal of yourself via FOH-Monitor-Mix and the likes you can mix your original sound into your personal IEM-Mix.

Woooohooo!

Thank you guys!

Nice!

It should be a SendL if you use a TRS to XLR cable/adapter with the Send. Doing that you get a mono mix of L and R, you basically get an impedance balanced out (like using Out L only).

If you want to send stereo and use a stereo split cable/adapter (or a TRS cable to feed a mixer's stereo in) then SendL/R is the right thing.

Be aware that if you use a SendL/R block with a TS cable you hear only the left channel.

Be aware that if you use a SendL/R block with a TRS cable you don't hear anything going in a mixer's balanced mono input.

SendL is less error prone.