Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The return of the POD with HX power!

datacommando

So many wanted a Catalyst head.

How about a separate pedal sized stereo Catalyst power amp with attenuation and the F-M feature on the .5w setting.

From travel sized HP practice to complete pedal board to grab and go performance combos, they'd cover it all.

Oh, yeah, and then there's Helix...

• Haha 1

It's so funny. If you spend any time on TGP you see the usual ongoing "AXEFX is better than Helix", "QC is better than Helix", KPA/QC/ToneX/NAM/Tonocracy Profiles/captures are the way of the future", "When will L6 release Helix II with capture capability?", "L6 is clueless and falling behind".

Meanwhile, maybe L6 has a whole different plan. OWN the pedalboard market.

On 3/6/2024 at 3:35 PM, rd2rk said:

It's so funny. If you spend any time on TGP you see the usual ongoing "AXEFX is better than Helix", "QC is better than Helix", KPA/QC/ToneX/NAM/Tonocracy Profiles/captures are the way of the future", "When will L6 release Helix II with capture capability?", "L6 is clueless and falling behind".

Meanwhile, maybe L6 has a whole different plan. OWN the pedalboard market.

TGP is hilarious.

When this launched yesterday, there was quite a bit of complaining about, "it's made of plastic", "there is no IR loading capabilities", etc. I think those guys are so serious that the miss the point about some young kid just staring out buys their first guitar along with one of these things and "WOW!, I can sound like this in my bedroom". I guess they don't quite understand the market that Line 6 are aiming for with this. Over on TGP Digital_Igloo even says, one of the Marketing Team referred to it as "My First Modeler" and it looks like it hit the mark. Plus at this price, it should be in everyone's back pocket as a fail safe get you through the gig device.

I love my Helix, but I also loved the original Kidney Bean POD when that landed. Keep rolling this stuff out Line 6.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:30 PM, datacommando said:

TGP is hilarious.

When this launched yesterday, there was quite a bit of complaining about, "it's made of plastic", "there is no IR loading capabilities", etc. I think those guys are so serious that the miss the point about some young kid just staring out buys their first guitar along with one of these things and "WOW!, I can sound like this in my bedroom". I guess they don't quite understand the market that Line 6 are aiming for..

Hard to say if it's a lack of understanding about the target demographic, or the genuine belief that "I have no use for this thing, therefore no one else will either". We live in a bizarre time, and people are weird.  And guitar players are weird and crazy....

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 1:58 PM, Rachmaninoff said:

Oh, that forum where the average age is 60 years old, and the average mental age is 14 years old?

No, thanks.

So, whatever anyone 60 or older or 14 and younger has to say is, In YOUR opinion, irrelevant?

Good to know that there are mature, dementia free adults here to advise us on this stuff.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2024 at 10:52 PM, rd2rk said:

So, whatever anyone 60 or older or 14 and younger has to say is, In YOUR opinion, irrelevant?

Good to know that there are mature, dementia free adults here to advise us on this stuff.

Damn! Ya beat me to it, again!

On 3/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, rd2rk said:

Lol...I went digital a dozen-ish years ago. I have no amps left to "capture". I'd be stuck downloading somebody else's profiles... which is guaranteed to be the same exercise in futility as combing through the Wasteland of Unusable Sounds that is Customtone, ;)

If that's the "future", then I'm SOL...

• Haha 1

This is an element that confuses me about the capture offering.  The ability to buy and trade captures seems a no-brainer.  But the actual people who want to make captures seems like a very small set of people.  I think 99% of buyers of gear want the stuff to (have the potential to) sound amazing and don't have the gear or interest to do captures.  

i jumped on ToneX when it was first released - I could finally afford to find out what this "profiling" thing was all about!

First thing I did was capture my one and only amp - my Catalyst.

TBH, I couldn't tell the difference. Cool!

Then I spent too many hours auditioning captures on Tone.Net.

Turns out the ones I was liking best were mostly done by one guy and, when I looked into it, they were captures of his AXEFXIII!

Since then I've gotten the ToneX pedal and a boatload of Amalgam captures.

Now, the main reason I wanted in on this was to get a chance to try a bunch of amps I'd never even see ITRW.

Invariably, after playing them for a while, I go back to my Helix to see if I can get those tones. Yep.

Exact? No. Close enough for R'n'Roll? Yep.

Bottom line - ToneX is fun. I still play Helix most. More and more just my Catalyst.

What can I say - simple man, simple needs.

Of course, as always, YMMV!

• Upvote 2

I see this as further evidence that Line 6 is recognizing the realities of the modern guitar playing audience which is simple and portable.  I think we've been through a bit more than than two decades of self-indulgence when it comes to our guitar processors which culminated in the original Helix line.  A powerful do-it-all processor for any modeling job you can think of born in the age of massive floor pedal units.  But those days are trending out I believe.

Don't get me wrong.  I love my Helix Floor and I'll never replace it because it does everything I want or need it to do, and I ask a lot of it.  In reality my Helix is now more of a stage performance control unit nowadays than it is a pure floor modeler.  After I get it set up I don't touch it other than to use the volume pedal to turn it down while I switch guitars because all other actions on my Helix are controlled externally.  The vast majority of my presets are relatively simple because the requirements of each song are not terribly daunting.  The role of guitar in music has clearly diminished from where it was when the Helix was introduced and not a lot of younger players want to cart around a unit that has great capabilities out of which they only need a simple few.

Even my own time on guitar has diminished considerably as I tend to focus much more time on my keyboard work.  But that's just the natural situation dictated by the music environment of the times, and that fits me because I'm also ready to move into new adventures and challenges beyond just the guitar which I find limiting given modern music tastes.  I think Line 6 recognizes these kind of changes and are adapting to it because they're a VERY wise company having been successful for a very long time.

Of course music trends are commonly cyclical, and things may change back at some point.  Having been a musician my entire life and turning 72 this year, I'm ready for something new to challenge me for however much time I've got left on this rock.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1