Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crackling at higher volumes with PC and Stomp XL It's Back.......

rwinking

I have gigged with my powercab on acoustic guitar and it is stunning with the quad cortex and using their modeled API preamp. I still have not gigged with the PC on electric and I have a gig coming up that is relatively a low volume gig....think fender deluxe type gig. I hooked up my Stomp XL (which I plan on using) and tried it in my studio at gig volume. When it gets to a certain point there is a crackle. Not a clipping sound but a crackle. Often it comes in as the sound is decaying. It sounds like a bad pot on a tube amp but in turning the pots I can't get it to do the sound. I can turn down the stomp volume in the back and it is ok or the master volume on the amp model and it is ok. I can't get it to gig volume without the crackle. It is also weird that it comes at higher volumes even though the light on the PC is still green. The light works as I can get it to red if I try. I looked up and tried various line/instrument settings in Global but nothing seems to do it but higher volumes. I am not talking about pushing the power section either...just a comfortable deluxe style volume. It's possible it is in my Stomp but the PC is built for Helix stuff. I will try out the QC tomorrow, which even if it works I am still left with the issue on the Stomp XL. Any thoughts or experiences like this?

thanks,

rick

Edited by rwinking
Errors made as it is not solved

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....I went ahead and hooked up the Quad Cortex through the PC+ and it had the same problem. I also have a 212 PC and hooked the QC to it and no problem. So now it is definitely the PC+. Again, it is a crackle at higher volumes....not a speaker distortion or clipping. I know that I can gig with my 212+ but the thought of carrying a 1X12 PC and the Stomp XL really thrilled me. I hope someone has an idea. I also live in a state far far away from any Line 6 repair place so the thought of sending it back is disturbing. Please God, Let it be something simple in the software....

• rwinking changed the title to Crackling at higher volumes with PC and Stomp XL It's Back.......

Thought a reset had fixed it but it is back. It sounds like a static kind of crackle and it comes on after I have been playing on it for about 10 minutes. Help!

I know you said it is not this, but that really sounds like digital clipping, since you can turn down the volume and it goes away.

What do you have the volume going to the PC set too?  Sorry, don't know the exact name, but if you have HXedit, go to the very last block (the output) and click on the Power Cab settings, you see the volume (?) down below.  The default volume for some speakers is very low.... maybe you have it very low and it makes you have to drive your device too much.  Try setting the PC volume louder here.

Also, what are you using on the PC, a set speaker or the FRFR, etc.... Does changing that make a difference?  If you try this, take note of the volume changes between speakers and settings, that change may be what you need on the speaker you are using now.

Good luck!  I am with you that it is totally awesome to go to a gig with a 112PC+ and StompXL.... ahhhhhh , makes my back smile :)

Thanks for the response Paul. I am a little unsure of what you are saying here. Are you talking about HX edit on my StompXL? Or is there an HXedit for the PC+?

So I downloaded Powercab edit and did not find the relevant settings. I then tried my StompXL with HX Edit but still can't find anything in the output block. Even without HX Edit, the choices on the StompXL are limited to Pan and Level, which is set at 0.0 db. On my Helix Rack I have more output choices with the ability to page over to more settings including Powercab settings. But the XL doesn't seem to have this feature unless I am missing something. The issue here is that it also does the with my Quad Cortex, always at higher volumes. I am not talking full on 100W MArshall stack vlume but a nice  Deluxe type volume.

All of the tutorials mention running the modeler really hot. If I do that, meaning running the volume on the XL wide open it will turn the PC knob red. The noise I get is when everything looks fine....green and maybe a little yellow. I am thinking that I might need to accept a volume limitation on the 112+? Maybe I am just pushing it a little too far or hoping for it to do more than I had hoped?

rick

The reset you did should have taking care of this but in case it didn’t…

As you connect via the input jacks you have the possibility to set the gain for the Input 1 and 2. You can check/control this on the menu on the PC+ or via PC Edit under the “system” tab in upper right corner, see attached pic (my Input 2 is used to connect my Variax direct via XPS box for acoustic. Added +12db to level it with my Helix LT, which I control via Helix/L6-Link according to what PaulTBaker describes). 

Try to turn down the Gain and see what happens. In special if it is set above 0 db.

//Per

Don't know why, but can't load the pic, link to my dropbox...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9c5u779n614ks9dsu3yog/L6-Power-Cab-Editor-System-P1.0-01.jpg?rlkey=hlo147uydup4qowah9eawgy4w&dl=0

Just another guess / experience:

When my Stomp has no ground contact (only connected via USB for example), it makes some noise. I built a (non)power plug for this, where only the ground contact is connected to the stomp. Works fine for this issue.