Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR outs defeat 1/4" outs on Helix LT?

boynigel

On 4/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, boynigel said:

This  ^ is my experience.

Have i missed something in the manual?  

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you mean by "defeats"?

The 1/4", XLR output options at the end of your signal chain are:

MULTI = 1/4", XLR, Digital, and USB 1/2 outputs are all active simultaneously. Normally, it is best to choose Multi.

1/4" = 1/4" Outs Only

XLR = XLR Only

Therefore if you choose XLR as the output option, then that is what you will get. Likewise if you select 1/4", the audio goes to the 1/4" sockets. If you want the audio to be output from a combination of both, simply select MULTI.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2024 at 12:56 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you mean by "defeats"?

The 1/4", XLR output options at the end of your signal chain are:

MULTI = 1/4", XLR, Digital, and USB 1/2 outputs are all active simultaneously. Normally, it is best to choose Multi.

1/4" = 1/4" Outs Only

XLR = XLR Only

Therefore if you choose XLR as the output option, then that is what you will get. Likewise if you select 1/4", the audio goes to the 1/4" sockets. If you want the audio to be output from a combination of both, simply select MULTI.

Hello.  "defeats" as in my DAW is getting signal via my 1/4" outs, but as soon as i plug in an XLR cable the audio gets cut off to the 1/4" outs.  my outputs were already set to Multi

On 4/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, boynigel said:

Hello.  "defeats" as in my DAW is getting signal via my 1/4" outs, but as soon as i plug in an XLR cable the audio gets cut off to the 1/4" outs.  my outputs were already set to Multi

O.K. Here we go again.

You are not giving enough precise information to be able to figure this out.

If I recall correctly, you use Pro Tools (and Native) on a Mac M1, and to the best of my knowledge your Mac is not equipped with either 1/4” or XLR inputs, therefore I suspect you must be using a third party audio interface that has those options.

Also, you say but as soon as I plug in an XLR cable”, but where exactly is this XLR being connected?. If you are intending to swap between 1/4” and XLR, surely the cables would already be patched into the Helix and AI and then swapped by a switch on the AI. 

It would appear to me that you are “hot swapping” the cables, which seems to be unnecessary, and even may be causing your interface to “defeat” the connection and it may be the real reason for this.

• Upvote 1

okay, here's some clarification...hopefully.  from my LT, 1/4" stereo outs going to my DAW's interface for monitoring through my nearfields.  then, i wanted to add a floor wedge (FRFR) via the LT's XLR out. 

why?  i'm simply looking to A/B what i'll be hearing through my FRFR at band rehearsals with what i'll be hearing through my nearfields when i practice at home.  more an experiment to see how close i can get them.  I am NOT using Native in this situation.

my DAW gets sound from the LT  (via the 1/4" outs) but as soon as i plug in the FRFR via the LT's XLR out, the LT stops sending signal from its 1/4" outs to my DAW's interface (Scarlett 8i6).  Output still set to Multi on all patches.

In a nutshell i'm looking to send my LT's out, simultaneously, to both my DAW and a single FRFR.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:34 PM, boynigel said:

okay, here's some clarification...hopefully.  from my LT, 1/4" stereo outs going to my DAW's interface for monitoring through my nearfields.  then, i wanted to add a floor wedge (FRFR) via the LT's XLR out. 

why?  i'm simply looking to A/B what i'll be hearing through my FRFR at band rehearsals with what i'll be hearing through my nearfields when i practice at home.  more an experiment to see how close i can get them.  I am NOT using Native in this situation.

my DAW gets sound from the LT  (via the 1/4" outs) but as soon as i plug in the FRFR via the LT's XLR out, the LT stops sending signal from its 1/4" outs to my DAW's interface (Scarlett 8i6).  Output still set to Multi on all patches.

In a nutshell i'm looking to send my LT's out, simultaneously, to both my DAW and a single FRFR.

There's no logical reason for that.

I use ALL of my Helix Floor's outputs at once - Digital (PC212+ via AES/Scarlett 18i20 via SPDIF), 1/4" (and S/R1) to Catalyst/Catalyst XLR to Scarlett, S/R2 to ToneX pedal and XLR from Helix AND PC212+ to Scarlett for physical routing to various output devices from various sources - Helix, Cat, Daw/Amp Sims - anything to anything and all-at-once. Well, I can't use AES/SPDIF at the same time and sending a signal to the PC212+ while sending its XLR can cause feedback related routing issues, but you get the point, I hope.

There're all sorts of possibilities in your configuration for why/how signal could be affected by routing, but simply plugging in a cable on the LT is NOT one of them.

There's something else going on.

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2024 at 9:34 PM, boynigel said:

I have to agree with @rd2rk that there is no logical reason for that.

Eventually you clarified that the 1/4” Out are going in stereo to your Scarlett AI that sends audio into your DAW, and your studio monitors are also connected to the Scarlett. What continues to confuse me is you still say that the LT stops sending the 1/4” Left/Right Out when you connect a Mono XLR to your powered FRFR. That indicates that there is audio present before the XLR is plugged in. Is there a reason that you are hooking up to the XLR Left (Mono) after everything else is up and running? When the XLR is connected are you still getting sound from the FRFR? - you did’t mention if that is the case.

Apart from posting here, are there any other troubleshooting tests you have already tried - we don’t want to go over the same stuff. As ever in situations where your Helix starts to do weird and unexpected stuff - perform a Factory Reset.

There's something strange going on.

EDIT:

I have just re-read your reply and seen this.

i'm simply looking to A/B what i'll be hearing through my FRFR at band rehearsals with what i'll be hearing through my nearfields when i practice at home.”

Well, there’s an exercise in total futility, if ever. This gives the impression that you will be running your wedge monitor at full on rehearsal room/gig level, and your near fields at a more normal SPL.  

Labels and Jellymen, I give you the “Fletcher Munson Effect”.

Edited by datacommando
Added info
  • Haha 1

Late response here having worked back to back double shifts at work.  anyway... whatever the problem was, was remedied by a factory reset a couple nights ago.  all is good.

On 4/28/2024 at 7:54 PM, datacommando said:

Well, there’s an exercise in total futility, if ever. This gives the impression that you will be running your wedge monitor at full on rehearsal room/gig level, and your near fields at a more normal SPL.  

nope.  very polite levels as drummer is going through VDrums.