Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sizzling Noise (as Well As The Dreaded Fan Rattle :( ...) On My L2t ...

Hi guys,

I bought a L2t about a good 1 month ago which I use with my Pod HD500X for my 'small cutlery' gigs ... unfortunately, the L2t suffers from the same 'fan rattle' as being discussed in the forum over the last weeks ... I did already replace a first L2t with the same problem, only to find the same problem with the replacement .... I already did talk to the helpful UK support team & am waiting patiently for the solution.

But, this is not necessarily why I'm posting now:

Over the last few days I detected an additional, equally annoying problem with my L2t ... it developed (maybe it was there already previously - less prominent though) - a 'sizzling/crackling' noise from the speaker (not the horn?) on guitar chords ringing out. I appended a short mp3-file (the quality is not the best - recorded through my phone) to demonstrate what I'm experiencing ...

Does anyone have/had the same problem before?

To me it doesn't sound like the speaker is blown otherwise it get a clear attack to start with - it is only noticeable on the decay or ringin out of the chords ...

Any suggestions are greatly welcome?

Thanks guys.

Wolf 

2014-05-02_08-14.mp3

Hi dboomer,

Haven't tried to play back recorded music through the L2t, but have connected my JTV-69 direct through the mixer channel with unfortunately the exact same result - the sizzling/crackling noise in the decay phase ... will try the recorded music later & will report back ...

Wolf 

• 3 months later...

Hi Wicker_man,

I had my L2t with Thomann in May for the fan replacement & received it back beginning of June - the fan replacement has fixed the fan rattle ...

I did point out both problems (fan rattle & sizzling noise) to the customer service and assume they probably have replaced something in the amp section as well as the sizzling noise was gone on return of the unit.

They didn't mention anything regarding this on the return receipt, but as this problem was gone as well I haven't bothered asking for details.

Definitively get the fan replacement (I heard it is a problem on some L3t's as well) & mention the sizzling noise - it may be a amp section (pre or power) problem as well which needs replacing ...

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to give it a thorough testing today, all input sources, speaker modes, different cables etc. just to be sure.  I heard that sometimes the L6 link cable can cause this so I'll try my acoustic direct into the side input as well.  Fingers crossed!

Cheers

I experienced this sizzling sound through an L3T at a gig one night. During the first break, we re-checked all of the connections and cables. This particular speaker was at the end of the line. We ended up swapping out one of the cables and the problem went away. Have not had the issue since and have had several gigs between then and now.

The cable we replaced was just a short 10 foot XLR between one L3T and and L3S. It was a cheap cable and we were short on time so I decided it might be the cause so just replaced it. I never did go back and try to recreate it to confirm whether it was the cable or just a loose connection. I only use high quality cables now and double check that they are well seeded when setting up.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone get resolution to this problem.  My L2T hooked up to the Helix just started doing this.  It was working fine, but then I turned it on yesterday and I am getting the weird sizzling sound coming from the top end of the L2T - near the power light.  I hear it regardless of how I hook it up - XLR outs, L6 LINK and 1/4 inch outs all do it.  I no longer hear it when hooked up through my studio monitors.  I just put in a support ticket... This thing is only a month old and I am really a bit put off by the whole thing. 

This may or may not be relevant but worth checking out. From the description it's hard to know exactly what a 'sizzling' sound is but it may be close to what some might also call a 'hissing' sound. I had a hissing sound in one of my L3t speakers not long ago and could not figure it out until I checked the side panel mixer settings. Turns out one of the channel input gain knobs had been turned to max, probably during transit when I was packing or unpacking it from its carrying case. I restored the knob to its zero setting and the hissing disappeared.

• 3 years later...

The L2T I had after 5 years starting exhibiting similar "sizzling/distortion", identical sounding to the mp3 that TheWolf2103 posted back in 2014. With both channel inputs/balanced/unbalanced/different instruments (guitar/bass/kybds)/different cables same symptoms.  As someone mentioned, might be some Analog-Digital converter issue? Would love to hear how anyone else resolved (looking for a repair facility).

Thx, kirkjc1