Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't figure out how to run Pod HD500x through PA

isaiahb93

I have been running it through my Soldano Lucky 13 tube combo amp. I had my POD set to output of a combo amp and it's fine. But when I run it through my QSC PL340 power amp and speakers my tone goes to crap. I even set the output back to Studio Direct. I am using one xlr cable to connect. Should I use 2? and go through both channels of my PA? I have it running from the Left XLR connection of the POd into the first channel of my QSC and my QSC is set to One channel controls both speakers? I have lost my high end. It's all muddy and there is like no volume to it either.

If you are running into a PA then you should be using STUDIO/DIRECT output mode.

You will have to copy and edit any sounds you had set up for your Soldano to tweak them so they sound good through STUDIO/DIRECT mode through a PA. There are quite a few differences, not least, that in STUDIO/DIRECT mode you get CAB/MIC simulation switched on which you don't have in COMBO AMP output mode.

Also - if you take just one XLR output then you are only getting HALF of the output signal - either the L or R depending on which one you choose AND it will only be at mic level NOT line level, so you may have to boost your input signal a little.   However, unless you want to separate out your L and R signals and have true stereo going to your PA from the HD500x, then just take one 1/4 inch cable from either the L or R 1/4 inch outputs, that will ensure you get both L+R signals mixed down to mono in which ever jack output you choose.  Also set the switch on the top of the HD500x (next to the expression pedal) to LINE rather than amp, and adjust your input trim accordingly on your PA input, so you feed it in as a LINE level signal.

If you are running into a PA then you should be using STUDIO/DIRECT output mode.

You will have to copy and edit any sounds you had set up for your Soldano to tweak them so they sound good through STUDIO/DIRECT mode through a PA. There are quite a few differences, not least, that in STUDIO/DIRECT mode you get CAB/MIC simulation switched on which you don't have in COMBO AMP output mode.

Also - if you take just one XLR output then you are only getting HALF of the output signal - either the L or R depending on which one you choose AND it will only be at mic level NOT line level, so you may have to boost your input signal a little.   However, unless you want to separate out your L and R signals and have true stereo going to your PA from the HD500x, then just take one 1/4 inch cable from either the L or R 1/4 inch outputs, that will ensure you get both L+R signals mixed down to mono in which ever jack output you choose.  Also set the switch on the top of the HD500x (next to the expression pedal) to LINE rather than amp, and adjust your input trim accordingly on your PA input, so you feed it in as a LINE level signal.

Okay but my issue with just using a 1/4 is that my Power amp only has XLR connections. Should I plug my pod into my mixer with a 1/4 then xlr from mixer to power amp?

Okay but my issue with just using a 1/4 is that my Power amp only has XLR connections. Should I plug my pod into my mixer with a 1/4 then xlr from mixer to power amp?

Yes.  Or if you want to go straight into the power amp then you could buy a 1/4" to XLR adaptor or a 1/4" to XLR pre-made lead.  Or you can use the XLR out but just make sure your patches mix everything together into either the L or R XLR out (whichever one you choose to use).   But if you have a mixer, then you can either take just one 1/4" out (probably simplest) or take both XLRs (L+R) out and use 2 input channels on the mixer. 

Yes.  Or if you want to go straight into the power amp then you could buy a 1/4" to XLR adaptor or a 1/4" to XLR pre-made lead.  Or you can use the XLR out but just make sure your patches mix everything together into either the L or R XLR out (whichever one you choose to use).   But if you have a mixer, then you can either take just one 1/4" out (probably simplest) or take both XLRs (L+R) out and use 2 input channels on the mixer. 

Okay so the best thing to do is take a 1/4 cable and connect my Pod to my Beringer mixer and then connect my mixer to my power amp with an xlr? Will I get a mono tone like that?

Okay so the best thing to do is take a 1/4 cable and connect my Pod to my Beringer mixer and then connect my mixer to my power amp with an xlr? Will I get a mono tone like that?

Yes - you will get both paths (L+R) (all of your patch output signal) of your HD500X patch mixed down to mono (without you needing to change anything in the patch) and passed via the 1/4 to the mixer channel.   Remember to set the switch next to the expression pedal to LINE so you get a line level signal passed to the mixer over the 1/4 cable.

Yes - you will get both paths (L+R) (all of your patch output signal) of your HD500X patch mixed down to mono (without you needing to change anything in the patch) and passed via the 1/4 to the mixer channel.   Remember to set the switch next to the expression pedal to LINE so you get a line level signal passed to the mixer over the 1/4 cable.

Dang. My mixer doesn't have an XLR output. I am going to go to Guitar center and buy a 1/4 xlr adapter. Will I get the same results using an adapter? I'll go from my pod using a 1/4 adapter and then the xlr part of the cable will go into my power amp. Then I hit the switch to line instead of amp right? I don't want to have to completely overhaul all my patches. I was hoping minor tweaks would fix the issue.

Dang. My mixer doesn't have an XLR output. I am going to go to Guitar center and buy a 1/4 xlr adapter. Will I get the same results using an adapter? I'll go from my pod using a 1/4 adapter and then the xlr part of the cable will go into my power amp. Then I hit the switch to line instead of amp right? I don't want to have to completely overhaul all my patches. I was hoping minor tweaks would fix the issue.

You have these choices:

(1) Edit all your patches so that the mixer block combines both paths and outputs to either L or R (depending on which XLR out you want to use) and then use standard XLR cable to connect the HD500X to the QSC power amp.

(2) Buy a 1/4 jack to XLR converter - use it on either the L or R 1/4 out of the HD500X and then connect the XLR to the QSC power amp

(3) Buy a lead that has 1/4 on one end and an XLR on the other (the XLR type that will plug into your QSC), connect the L or R 1/4 out of the HD500X to the XLR in of the QSC power amp.

For options 2 and 3 set your 1/4 out switch on the surface of the HD500X to line.

Your HD500X output mode should be set to STUDIO/DIRECT which will enable CAB/MIC modelling, which means you need to go through and EDIT every patch in turn to tweak it so it sounds as you want it to sound going through the PA - in which case you may as well update the MIXER block at the same time and route everything to one side and use a standard XLR to do the connection as in option (1) and save yourself the cost of buying an adaptor or another lead.

Changing from using the pod through a combo amp to a PA means you will have to tweak ALL your patches to get them to sound right.  There is no alternative. 

Hope that clears everything up for you.

You have these choices:

(1) Edit all your patches so that the mixer block combines both paths and outputs to either L or R (depending on which XLR out you want to use) and then use standard XLR cable to connect the HD500X to the QSC power amp.

(2) Buy a 1/4 jack to XLR converter - use it on either the L or R 1/4 out of the HD500X and then connect the XLR to the QSC power amp

(3) Buy a lead that has 1/4 on one end and an XLR on the other (the XLR type that will plug into your QSC), connect the L or R 1/4 out of the HD500X to the XLR in of the QSC power amp.

For options 2 and 3 set your 1/4 out switch on the surface of the HD500X to line.

Your HD500X output mode should be set to STUDIO/DIRECT which will enable CAB/MIC modelling, which means you need to go through and EDIT every patch in turn to tweak it so it sounds as you want it to sound going through the PA - in which case you may as well update the MIXER block at the same time and route everything to one side and use a standard XLR to do the connection as in option (1) and save yourself the cost of buying an adaptor or another lead.

Changing from using the pod through a combo amp to a PA means you will have to tweak ALL your patches to get them to sound right.  There is no alternative. 

Hope that clears everything up for you.

Yes it does. I'm sorry. I don't understand much about amps and connections. I am a self taught guitar player who knows way more theory and musical technicalities then I do electronic technicalities. I am going to go with option one and just use an XLR out. I just have to figure out how to change the path of my signal on the pod. Is it in utilities?

Yes it does. I'm sorry. I don't understand much about amps and connections. I am a self taught guitar player who knows way more theory and musical technicalities then I do electronic technicalities. I am going to go with option one and just use an XLR out. I just have to figure out how to change the path of my signal on the pod. Is it in utilities?

No - it is in each individual patch.  As well as your 8 FX blocks there is an AMP block and a MIXER block.  If you edit on the HD500x then you just highlight it using the navigation keys and then press enter to edit the parameters using the 4 control knobs as needed.  If using HD EDIT on a pc then you just select the MIXER BLOCK and change the values as you require.  Essentially you want everything from path 1 and 2 (or A and B  ) from before the mixer being mixed together on say the L channel, with nothing being sent to the R channel.     It is described in the ADVANCED GUIDE.    I haven't got my HD500 got to hand to double check what the values are called. You need to change the balance value for both paths so they are 100% to the L for both path A and B (or 1 and 2) - then everything post mixer will only be heading down your L channel and nothing from the R - that way you won't lose any stereo signal info BUT you won't be able to place a STEREO fx post mixer and expect it to work correctly - any stereo fx will need to be placed post amp but pre mixer in either path A or B - and then the mixer can mix both L+R sides to just L.

Hope that makes sense.

No - it is in each individual patch.  As well as your 8 FX blocks there is an AMP block and a MIXER block.  If you edit on the HD500x then you just highlight it using the navigation keys and then press enter to edit the parameters using the 4 control knobs as needed.  If using HD EDIT on a pc then you just select the MIXER BLOCK and change the values as you require.  Essentially you want everything from path 1 and 2 (or A and B  ) from before the mixer being mixed together on say the L channel, with nothing being sent to the R channel.     It is described in the ADVANCED GUIDE.    I haven't got my HD500 got to hand to double check what the values are called. You need to change the balance value for both paths so they are 100% to the L for both path A and B (or 1 and 2) - then everything post mixer will only be heading down your L channel and nothing from the R - that way you won't lose any stereo signal info BUT you won't be able to place a STEREO fx post mixer and expect it to work correctly - any stereo fx will need to be placed post amp but pre mixer in either path A or B - and then the mixer can mix both L+R sides to just L.

Hope that makes sense.

Okay I think I figured it out. I adjusted the Pan level on A and B to 100 percent on the Left. It is starting to sound better. Just need to tweak my settings

Great advice from edstar1960 but your power amp has two channels and if I read your first post right, you have two PA cabs.  You can just use both XLR outs from the POD into both channels on the amp and leave your patches set to stereo as they were.  You will get a stereo signal through your PA.  You only have to do all the other stuff if you absolutely want to just run one cable, one channel and a mono signal.

If you are still having low volume after all that, go to the 1/4 outs with XLR adapters into the power amp for a stronger line level signal.

Okay I think I figured it out. I adjusted the Pan level on A and B to 100 percent on the Left. It is starting to sound better. Just need to tweak my settings

Great!  You are on the right path - it's a long road - but you will get there with a bit of patience - now you need to tweak your amp settings to get them to sound as you want. You may need to go into the DEEP EDIT PARAMETERS (often referred to as DEP on this forum) for the amp and cab to adjust things.   Try to get in the ball park by just tweaking your model amp EQ controls, then try different cabs and different mics - you will be surprised at just how different they all sound.  You may then want to tweak the LOW CUT and THUMP cab parameters if you are getting too much bass.   Have fun!

Great advice from edstar1960 but your power amp has two channels and if I read your first post right, you have two PA cabs.  You can just use both XLR outs from the POD into both channels on the amp and leave your patches set to stereo as they were.  You will get a stereo signal through your PA.  You only have to do all the other stuff if you absolutely want to just run one cable, one channel and a mono signal.

If you are still having low volume after all that, go to the 1/4 outs with XLR adapters into the power amp for a stronger line level signal.

Oh! So it's a stereo amp with two speakers?  I read through the first post too quickly and missed that!   In that case, forget all my talk about the mixer block and panning to one side.  Set the power amp up in stereo, with each channel controlling just one speaker, and then run both XLRs L+R to channel 1 and 2.  Then you just have to tweak the patches to taste to allow for the cab/mic modelling coming into play.     Thanks for pointing that out radatats!     :)

Yup, setting up your output to be completely mono will allow you to connect to multiple reinforcement devices without separating signals or introducing phasing issues.

I set my mixer up to be straight down the middle (center).  I can send a line out to my amp return (Carvin AG100D) so it hits the power amp only and not the acoustic amps preamp, and it powers the attached cab speaker for me to have a lil feedback sustain.

Since it's line level, I can then use the other line level output and go into the line level input of a mixer, or just use either or both xlr's to connect to a snake input.

Switching your signal path to be completely mono, even if you're using dual amp mode frequently as I do, will just simplify your set up.

centering the mixer just combines both channel A and channel B evenly into one stereo signal!  you still have a stereo signal to the outputs and if you add a stereo effect post mixer you may notice it if you only pull one side of the signal.  The only way to ensure mono is to add a mono effect last in your chain or place the centered mixer last (both of these give you an identical signal on all four outputs), or use the left 1/4 out which sums to mono (probably the best choice).

• Upvote 1