Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning parameters to FX knob or expression pedal?

ericlv

I was trying to recreate the solo in Like a Stone using the firehawk as a whammy pedal.  It has an effect called bender in the synths section.  At first this seemed impossible because when you first enter the bender effect (for me at least) you can only control the mix parameter with the FX knob or expression pedal.  I looked all over the place to see where I can reassign the pedal to the position parameter, like a whammy pedal.  Plus, why would the mix parameter be controlled by the pedal by default? Anyway, I searched for an answer and couldn't find any.  So I switched the effect to see how the pedal was controlling other parameters in other effects.  Couldn't find a solution there either.  So I went back to the bender effect.  

When I went back, the expression pedal was assigned to the position parameter, like how I wanted it.  No idea how it happened... but I was able to publish my attempt at the Like a Stone Solo tone.  So does anyone know how to manually change what parameter is assigned to the FX knob or expression pedal? I just got lucky, but would like to know how this can be controlled.  THANKS!

I was trying to recreate the solo in Like a Stone using the firehawk as a whammy pedal.  It has an effect called bender in the synths section.  At first this seemed impossible because when you first enter the bender effect (for me at least) you can only control the mix parameter with the FX knob or expression pedal.  I looked all over the place to see where I can reassign the pedal to the position parameter, like a whammy pedal.  Plus, why would the mix parameter be controlled by the pedal by default? Anyway, I searched for an answer and couldn't find any.  So I switched the effect to see how the pedal was controlling other parameters in other effects.  Couldn't find a solution there either.  So I went back to the bender effect.  

When I went back, the expression pedal was assigned to the position parameter, like how I wanted it.  No idea how it happened... but I was able to publish my attempt at the Like a Stone Solo tone.  So does anyone know how to manually change what parameter is assigned to the FX knob or expression pedal? I just got lucky, but would like to know how this can be controlled.  THANKS!

Good to know- I am building a patch for lonely boy by the black keys, and am thinking I will have to use the bender for the dive bomb riff.

Just hold your finger down on the parameter you want the pedal to control and a message pops up, make sure you toggle the pedal on also otherwise it's just the fx knob that controls it

Thanks mcbeddall!

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I use the bender it is about 1/4 step flat. I have set the heel at zero and the toe at + several different steps. I've also set the heel and toe the same. Any suggestions?

Where you set the pedal in the app there is a horizontal bar and you can slide it in or out at either side (lengthen or shorten it) I have no idea what it does but that might be your problem, try lengthening it as far as it goes as it may restrict how far the pedal senses travel

Where you set the pedal in the app there is a horizontal bar and you can slide it in or out at either side (lengthen or shorten it) I have no idea what it does but that might be your problem, try lengthening it as far as it goes as it may restrict how far the pedal senses travel

I believe that horizontal bar allows you to set the min and max positions for the pedal or FX knob assigned to the selected FX parameter. It operates like a visual range selector with 0%  full left and 100% full right. Position the desired min (heel) and max (toe) visually.

• 2 weeks later...

In M13, you can change more than one parameters simultaneously using an expression pedal. For instance, you can increase the 'drive' while decreasing 'gain' or 'volume' of the classic distortion, so as to keep the same output but to change the overdrive parameter. It is extremely useful during a solo such as last few measures of the 'Panama' by Van Halen. I have found that you can change only one parameter in the Firehawk even using an external expression pedal, so you cannot do what you could do in M13.

Any ideas?