Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What are you reading?

duncann

Well, after temporarily ruining my left index finger working on a small part of a song, I have a little extra time to read.

Currently reading Bête, by Adam Roberts. Here's the first few sentences:

As I raised the bolt-gun to its head the cow said: ‘Won’t you at least Turing-test me, Graham?’

‘Don’t call me Graham,’ I told it. ‘My wife calls me Graham. My mum calls me Graham. Nobody else.’

‘Oh, Mister Penhaligon,’ the cow said, sarcastically. We’ll have to assume, for the moment, that cows are capable of sarcasm. ‘It won’t much delay you. And if I fail, then surely, surely, go ahead: bye-bye-bos-taurus.But!’

‘You’re not helping your case,’ I said, ‘by enunciating so clearly. You don’t sound like a cow.’

‘Moo,’ said the cow, arching one hairless eyebrow.

This may seem humorous, funny, or even stupid for a novel's premise. But going by any of Adam Roberts' past novels, I fully expect an in depth philosophical look at sentience, consciousness, and it's various impacts on a society when humans find a way to technologically create a new form of it. And told in a way that only Adam Roberts can.

Just wrapping up the Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes. I don't get a lot of reading time so these fit in pretty well if I have a gap of a week or so.

Last year I was on a Warhammer 40K Novel marathon - pretty much Military Sci-Fi in a grim future. :)

-Bill

Just wrapping up the Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes. I don't get a lot of reading time so these fit in pretty well if I have a gap of a week or so.

Last year I was on a Warhammer 40K Novel marathon - pretty much Military Sci-Fi in a grim future. :)

-Bill

Never read any Sherlock Holmes, but since you have, you might be interested in The Fifth Heart, by Dan Simmons. Sherlock Holmes, who questions whether or not he is real, teams up with Henry James in Europe and they proceed to travel to the United States to get to the bottom of a global conspiracy. Takes place in the late 1800s. I made it to around page 300, but had to set it aside. It's a very well researched book (Dan Simmons is known for this), but it felt like in all his research, he couldn't leave out any, and I mean any, detail. It became too much.

Never read any Sherlock Holmes, but since you have, you might be interested in The Fifth Heart, by Dan Simmons. Sherlock Holmes, who questions whether or not he is real, teams up with Henry James in Europe and they proceed to travel to the United States to get to the bottom of a global conspiracy. Takes place in the late 1800s. I made it to around page 300, but had to set it aside. It's a very well researched book (Dan Simmons is known for this), but it felt like in all his research, he couldn't leave out any, and I mean any, detail. It became too much.

Sweet - It does look like a real good book! Thanks Duncann!

-Bill

The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock

Recently happened upon the fact that the song Veteran of the Psychic Wars by  Blue Öyster Cult is somewhat based on the it.

At 13 years old this song intrigued me to no end(s), kinda cool to find out what I thought the lyrics were about is pretty close to the concept.

Has anybody read This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Levitin, Daniel J.?

It's a quick read and pretty interesting, especially if you're a science junky.

The Eternal Champion by Michael Moorcock

Recently happened upon the fact that the song Veteran of the Psychic Wars by  Blue Öyster Cult is somewhat based on the it.

At 13 years old this song intrigued me to no end(s), kinda cool to find out what I thought the lyrics were about is pretty close to the concept.

Has anybody read This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Levitin, Daniel J.?

Dude I loved the Elric Saga!! Long time Moorcock fan (I said Moorcock heh heh heh).

-B

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks interesting. Although reading some of the negative reviews does reveal some concern about the actual content.

For big concept scientific stuff wrapped in a story, it's hard to resist anything from Greg Egan, Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, or Gregory Benford. All authors with actual scientific backgrounds.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks interesting. Although reading some of the negative reviews does reveal some concern about the actual content.

Thus my "quick read" disclosure.

I will definitely look into these authors as I am fairly "author/literature illiterate" !!