Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Windows 10 and pod hd500x

laxtlo

i dont have a touch screen either and dont want one for my home PC, it just dont make sense (to me at least) to have a touch screen on my computer desk i have no need or want for one.

i use windows 8.1 with a mouse only and have zero issues so i dont understand what the problem is with windows 8 or 8.1

I have a touchscreen running Windows 8 and now on 8.1....8.1 is ok for casual home use, but 8 was a POS and it took 3 years to get the OS stable....There is no question that Windows 8 was a horrible OS rollout...Taking the start menu was an amateur academic decision. Corporations did NOT adopt Windows 8 much in the same way they did NOT adopt Vista....That's why MS fired Sinofsky and asked Allen to step down...They blew it with 8...and 10 will be better for it.

• Upvote 3

lol exactly my point windows 8 was fixed ages ago every OS windows, linux, Apple all have bugs in them, it did not take 3 years to get windows 8 running correctly lol its just had/needed updates like any other new release but i do know what you mean about the poor release of windows 8

one of my intel based chipset computers had memory leak problems to start with where as the AMD based system was fine from day 1

after a few updates from windows 8 everything was fine for the intel based system so they had a few issues to start with, but most people moaned anout the new UI and they still do today, i say get over it and move on.

8.1 was really how windows 8 should of been at release or thats what i think/feel, windows 8 to windows 10 is based on Vista i think you will find, so everyone can love vista tech all over again :)

maybe its just me? i personaly had no problems with windows 8 or windows 8.1 UI using a mouse, and looking forward to window 10.

i also feel they same way as pianoguyy about touch screens for desktop pc's and dont want to have to keep raising my hand to touch the screen leaving finger prints all over place when i can simply use the mouse to do the same task. but for phones and tablet type devices its a spot on idea and more suited to them rather than a PC monitor

basicly this is how i see microsoft OS history

windows 98 was very unstable

windows XP was built for max speed and security was out the window

windows Vista was built around security but was not accepted by most people

windows 7 was built with better compatibility in mind and security

windows 8 was built with better security and multi platform compatibility in mind based on vista tech

windows 8.1 is what windows 8 should of been to start with

windows 10 has built on the idea's of windows 8 and improved them with better security and improved UI among other new software tech

• Upvote 1

That's how I was until I had made the jump. I don't know about 10 yet but 8 can be run like Win 7. The layer you don't want isn't very hard to understand.

Some people depending on what they are doing in college are required to get and use the new "Surface". So much of the next generation will have Win 10 and so on.....I suppose.

I will get a new Surface 3 in a heartbeat when my Nexus 7 finally dies -- or I get antsy.  Nice piece of engineering there IMHO.

The older I get, and the more tech advances -- the more I realize it is my job to adapt as opposed to bitching that the world is changing.  Not easy, but still -- my job.

• Upvote 1

I will get a new Surface 3 in a heartbeat when my Nexus 7 finally dies -- or I get antsy.  Nice piece of engineering there IMHO.

The older I get, and the more tech advances -- the more I realize it is my job to adapt as opposed to bitching that the world is changing.  Not easy, but still -- my job.

Bitching about the world changing is different than not wasting money on every new item that gets put out. 

Hey, it's not 1977 anymore. Disco is dead. That era is not coming back. 

That doesn't mean that you must buy a Miley Cyrus album. 

Bitching about the world changing is different than not wasting money on every new item that gets put out. 

Hey, it's not 1977 anymore. Disco is dead. That era is not coming back. 

That doesn't mean that you must buy a Miley Cyrus album. 

What we buy is up to each of us.

Not so fast on that whole "disco ain't coming back" idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu-disco

I have also heard that Microsoft plans to disallow V3 drivers to install on Windows 10 after the first service pack. This means that many of our current device drivers will no longer work and new V4 drivers for Windows 10 will need to be produced if you want to use those devices on Windows 10.

-Max

I have also heard that Microsoft plans to disallow V3 drivers to install on Windows 10 after the first service pack. This means that many of our current device drivers will no longer work and new V4 drivers for Windows 10 will need to be produced if you want to use those devices on Windows 10.

-Max

This would raise the question "How does one revert back to what they had before the Win 10 Install?". Should a system image be made? Can we install Win 10 while keeping Win 8.1 and being able to use boot manager to be able to choose which OS I want to use?

This would raise the question "How does one revert back to what they had before the Win 10 Install?". Should a system image be made? Can we install Win 10 while keeping Win 8.1 and being able to use boot manager to be able to choose which OS I want to use?

Exactly this. Imaging would be the easiest. I'd imagine you could also dual boot, but might take more effort. You could even run win 10 in a virtual machine to try. Or if you have a spare hard drive lying around, and don't want to mess with your current one at all, just swap them.

once you upgrade to windows 10 your are giving up your window 7/8/8.1 licence in exchange for windows 10 Upgrade so if you reinstall or make an image your licence wont be valid and it will say windows not activated.

thats what happend when upgrading from windows 7 to 8 .. you are getting the upgrade version of windows 10 not the full new install version as such

reinstalling will require you installing what ever version windows you had installed and fully updating it then downloading the windows 10 upgrade and reinstalling it, also i am 99.9% sure you have kissed your rights good bye to use your old version of windows as you have agreed to swap it for the upgrade.

free upgrade. really-

maybe it will cost some more of your privacy.

freebie giveaways dont come for free. ask your local druglord for his policies.

soon enough the script kiddies wont support xp any more and cant produce viruses for it.

try a 64bit malware in w98

I tend to avoid new OS. The reason is that they have to make a business decision to release with thousands of known bugs some quite serious to meet the release date (I have worked there). Even before the release date the first service pack is usually under development. When they release SP1 for the OS you are finally getting the product that they really wanted to release but wasn't really ready at the scheduled release date.

The free upgrade thing is a way for them to increase the installed base numbers when most people would hold off for SP1.

-Max