Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gearbox player no longer works after upgrade to Win10

After upgrading my laptop to Windows 10, mp3 and line 6 audio files won't play within Gearbox. The files load and appear normal, but nothing happens when I click the play button.

I've tried setting the software to run in either XP mode or Win7 mode, but no luck. It always worked fine on those platforms.

This is one of the most important features for me, for learning, rehearsing and fun, and I hate to lose it.

Any suggestions?

J

uh.... don't upgrade.

there is no solution, and no fixes coming to gearbox....

perhaps you can mess with the settings on your computer, figure it out and share the results?

try compatibility mode for example...

no idea what changed or what might work....

and not intending to make anyone mad... just letting you know... that the software is no longer supported or updated...

any "fix" will come from the community of users such as you and me... not from Line6 sorry...

Give us a solution !!!

I get it that Gearbox is not going to be updated. But the issue isn't with Gearbox, but with Win10. GB has performed beautifully on Win 2k, XP, and 7 for me.

Simplest solution for me is to pull an old Thinkpad out of the bin, load it up with a fresh XP install and make that my dedicated music machine. Only downside for me is exhausted batteries, but I can cope with that.

J

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt say it didn't work.... i said it has not been supported... a notable difference.

gearbox didn't change... your operating system did...

gearbox works the same as it ever did with other operating systems.

So what do we do now ? Just throw away what we have. Would be nice if we could get some info from these guys. And to say gearbox has not been supported is not true it all worked fine until this Windows 10 upgrade.

What i'm telling you in as nice a way as possible, and without any ill intent....

is that the Gearbox software will not be updated... so any help might be found amongst the community of users...

there will not be any official Line6 changes to gearbox.

the user community might be able to experiment with older or newer drivers... or various computer settings... but there will be no update to gearbox. sorry.

We know that, it's a solution we want .

I understand that and I don't think for one minute there was any ill intent in your posts my friend. I think you took my reply's the wrong way and if it came across that way I apologize it's just I'm a lazy typer. In a ideal world I would love a update from Line 6 as all has worked so far but if they not going to do I throw my guitar port away I also have a guitar pod I think it's called is that now obsolute. I know the amp models still work but I use the player a lot and I'm just disappointed thants all mate. thanks for your replies and I,m sorry if I came across a bit short. Many thanks. 

• 1 month later...

""Gearbox hasn't been supported for quite some time. Your best chance is to continue to find a solution by changing settings on your computer, the software will not be updated.""

Its useless on my PC since my Windows 10 upgrade.

This was part of the reason I bought the Pod XT Live (after seeing a friend use it on his PC) several years back, that I could download, save and alter presets via Gearbox! The fact that Line6 chooses to abandon and cease support of the PC side of this effects pedal tells me to switch brands of equipment at this time. Frankly, I think its a cheap low blow to those who bought this pedal for top dollar.

When you mass produce hardware and claim its accompanied by software (Gearbox in particular) for the PC, then you should continue to honor and support it.

As far as recommending driver roll backs and other user side modifications and tricks to keep Gearbox (sort of) working, if working at all, is just another cheap cop out and a serious and unnecessary inconvenience for the buyer.

I'll never buy another piece of Line6 hardware again! Line 6 company cant be trusted to support anything thats been purchased. I have analogue pedals, amps and guitars that I have had for 35 years that still work great. This pedal is only a few years old and already, a good part of its attraction and functionality has been deemed obsolete and been abandoned by Line 6.

Time to sell the Pod XT Live and my Line 6 amp and to get something with a more useful lifetime and support. Since Line 6 is boldly no longer supporting Gearbox, even its resale worth has been diminished drastically.  :-( Thanks a ton Line 6!

""Gearbox hasn't been supported for quite some time. Your best chance is to continue to find a solution by changing settings on your computer, the software will not be updated.""

Its useless on my PC since my Windows 10 upgrade.

This was part of the reason I bought the Pod XT Live (after seeing a friend use it on his PC) several years back, that I could download, save and alter presets via Gearbox! The fact that Line6 chooses to abandon and cease support of the PC side of this effects pedal tells me to switch brands of equipment at this time. Frankly, I think its a cheap low blow to those who bought this pedal for top dollar.

When you mass produce hardware and claim its accompanied by software (Gearbox in particular) for the PC, then you should continue to honor and support it.

As far as recommending driver roll backs and other user side modifications and tricks to keep Gearbox (sort of) working, if working at all, is just another cheap cop out and a serious and unnecessary inconvenience for the buyer.

I'll never buy another piece of Line6 hardware again! Line 6 company cant be trusted to support anything thats been purchased. I have analogue pedals, amps and guitars that I have had for 35 years that still work great. This pedal is only a few years old and already, a good part of its attraction and functionality has been deemed obsolete and been abandoned by Line 6.

Time to sell the Pod XT Live and my Line 6 amp and to get something with a more useful lifetime and support. Since Line 6 is boldly no longer supporting Gearbox, even its resale worth has been diminished drastically.  :-( Thanks a ton Line 6!

I'm not completely unsympathetic to your situation, but are there really that many companies continuously supporting software like this for 12 years or more? The XTL was released in 2004 and discontinued in 2007 or thereabouts. The XT bean was released in 2002. It's great you've been able to get a lot of use out of the XTL, and actually even without the editor, it's still useful. Line 6 still does actually support the XLT by means of updating drivers, so it's still useful as an audio interface.

And I'm sorry, but the resale value of the XTL has been at bargain basement prices for a long time now. There have been two more generations of PODs released since then. Electronic gear just doesn't hold its value like a piece of analog equipment unless it somehow gets deemed to be "vintage" or collectible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 6 months later...

So, with gearbox gone and no line 6 edit download for windows 10 is it possible at all to use the tone library/ custom tone to download patches onto my xt live? I just received one as a gift and I thought the ability to download custom tones to a pedal board was an amazing feature and huge selling point. so what I'm asking is am I confined to using only the pre saved effects on the pod xt live?

Gearbox has worked for others but you have to change some settings. Soundcard sample rate to DVD quality, 16 bit, 48k MHz. Failing that you can try compatibility settings.

Custom Tone is OK but you are much better off learning to create your own patches btw.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded to Win10 and had the same playback problem. Found this solution in another forum here:

Found a solution! Just go to the playback devices and properties. Go the advanced tab and play with the options, the one that worked for me was 16 bit 48000 dvd quality!

It worked for me too!