Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New, "synthesized" sounds from the Variax architecture

I know the variax is not a synthesizer, per se, however it does synthesize sounds. Why not go into some new sound shaping directions - if it can make a guitar sound like a Coral Sitar, aren't there other unique voices it could generate with some creative modeling or model designing?

I know the variax is not a synthesizer, per se, however it does synthesize sounds. Why not go into some new sound shaping directions - if it can make a guitar sound like a Coral Sitar, aren't there other unique voices it could generate with some creative modeling or model designing?

I keep asking for a bassoon model on Ideascale, but I think they're ignoring me...

• Upvote 1

It doesn't strictly synthesize sounds, but it does resonance (sitar and acoustics are most obvious of this), limited ADSR (banjo) and can add a related second note (12 string) on 6 strings independently, so there is potentially a lot that could be done.

What it doesn't have is a LFO which is essential for many synth type sounds, but it should be possible to do more than replicate guitar variations.

What sort of sounds were you thinking of?

It doesn't strictly synthesize sounds, but it does resonance (sitar and acoustics are most obvious of this), limited ADSR (banjo) and can add a related second note (12 string) on 6 strings independently, so there is potentially a lot that could be done.

What it doesn't have is a LFO which is essential for many synth type sounds, but it should be possible to do more than replicate guitar variations.

What sort of sounds were you thinking of?

I don't know - I was listening to some Pat Metheny and it occurred to me it could do more than it does. I realize it's not going to sound like a trumpet, but maybe instruments that have a somewhat similar decay to guitar, such as steel drum, or other mallet sounds, possibly even electric pianos, pianos or clavinet. Who knows? Maybe just some new sounds that are cool.

If you get a chance, play a guitar with 13 pin hex PU and Roland VG-99 or GR-55 or Boss GP-10 if you want to break beyond the traditional guitar tones of Line -6 offerings

Check out www.vguitarforums.com for examples and info.

The guitar does not do any form of synthesis in those terms.

The Coral sitar model is actually some type of filter modeling effect that shoots the resonance of the guitar's attack up when you pluck a string.

There is no "keyboard synthesis" going on.

Same goes for the Banjo model. It's modeling the frequency response to sound like a banjo, and adding an ADSR envelope to make it sound like the sustain is short like a real banjo.

Though all of what I explained is what's actually happening, that DOESN'T mean we CAN'T have synthesis happen in the Variax.

They would need to write code to detect the pitch and translate the pitch into synthesized sounds.

The problem though is, I don't think the Variax has enough room to have any room for such features. They already threw out the model reset function to save space on the memory for other things, so I doubt they have enough room to add synthesis to the Variax.

The Variax Bass had a synth model, but they're 2 different things. Modeling is modeling, and synthesis is synthesis.

I wish they would keep modelling more guitars. Why not just keep adding more? There are  so many pickup types that could be modelled that they haven't. I'd like to see some EMG 81's in there and some other modern pickups.

Also why no Nylon?

It seem like they've abandoned something which has so much scope for further development. It's got so much potential to keep developing.