Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to calibrate external expression pedal?

cacibi

There used to be a calibration procedure in the beta firmware, but they away with it, and made all the expression pedals auto-calibrating.

What range pot does an external expression pedal need to be? I think the HD 500 needed a 10K pot. Can you use a 250K pot such as the Ernie Ball volume pedal uses?

Update on my own question. Yes, my Ernie Ball Jr. pedal with a 250k pot works great. No manual calibration needed. I continue to be amazed by the many different functions built into the Helix.

Edited by rwhite137

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Dunlop Volume X Expression pedal and it does not auto calibrate. I am using a standard cable on the expression port of the pedal plugged into Expression Pedal 2. It will sweep from 0 to about 75% then it goess to 0 when at full sweep position.

Any ideas other thatn the ones mentioned (did not help)? Or is this pedal not compatible with the Helix?

Rock / Atlanta

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

I have a Dunlop Volume X Expression pedal too, and it does not auto calibrate.

I do try it using a standard mono and stereo cables on the expression port of the pedal plugged into Expression Pedal 2.

It will sweep from 0 to about 100%  then it goess to 0 when at full sweep position.

Has someone an idea please?

Best regards

Marc (France/Germany)

I have a Moog expression. It does exactly the same thing. I slide the switch underneath to "other" and it works. The sweep is off a little and it tops out at 94%  it is usable though. Especially for wah. I believe different manufacturers use different pot values.  And some may wire like a guitar sweeping to ground or just a variable resistor not sure what is best for helix.

It's the same with a trs cable or a ts cable.

I am not sure what the helix wants to see.

I have a Moog expression. It does exactly the same thing. I slide the switch underneath to "other" and it works. The sweep is off a little and it tops out at 94%  it is usable though. Especially for wah. I believe different manufacturers use different pot values.  And some may wire like a guitar sweeping to ground or just a variable resistor not sure what is best for helix.

It's the same with a trs cable or a ts cable.

I am not sure what the helix wants to see.

Same here with a Moog EP-3.

I'm struggling with my pedal.

First of all I always have to make sure to bring it waaaay back, in order to make it mute, and then trying to use it to bring in a soft volume doesn't work. It goes from 0 to 10 way to fast.....if I'm lucky. Usually 0 is 10, so I sound like a smuck, and stopped using it:)
Same with the whammy....I want it to be normal key, then bring it up an octave and back to normal...but normal is hardly ever back to normal...it's sharp by a few cents :-/

• 6 months later...

I'm struggling with my pedal.

First of all I always have to make sure to bring it waaaay back, in order to make it mute, and then trying to use it to bring in a soft volume doesn't work. It goes from 0 to 10 way to fast.....if I'm lucky. Usually 0 is 10, so I sound like a smuck, and stopped using it:)

Same with the whammy....I want it to be normal key, then bring it up an octave and back to normal...but normal is hardly ever back to normal...it's sharp by a few cents :-/

Did you resolve your problem? I'm having the same issue.

All of the Line 6 devices work with an external expression pedal with a 10K pot.  Anything else will not work properly.

The Dunlop Volume X pedal is 250K.  The Ernie Ball volume pedal is also 250K.

I have found that many of the places that sell volume pedals do not list the pot value so I understand it can be a little confusing, this may also be the fault of the manufacturer.

I do wish the Helix was able to calibrate manually.  I think the sweep of the built in expression pedal is too long and I would like to put something under the heel so my toes don't touch my shin when I use it heel down.   

All of the Line 6 devices work with an external expression pedal with a 10K pot. Anything else will not work properly.

The Dunlop Volume X pedal is 250K. The Ernie Ball volume pedal is also 250K.

The Helix isn't picky with the actual value of the pot in the external pedal. It will calibrate automatically. It just needs to be wired correctly and use a TS cable.

Can I ask why the Helix manual doesn't explain anything about the expression pedal?  It doesn't talk abou the resistor pot or the difference between TS and TRS.

My response was based on how many problems I have seen other users have with using various volume pedals with the Helix.