Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Optical Trem Does Not Use Tap Tempo?

NOSaints79

I think this falls under the heading of "if there was a way to do it, they would have done it." From what I understand, the reason why some models don't have the ability to be synced via tap tempo is the way they were modeled. Some models, probably the majority, are model algorithmically - that is Line 6 develops essentially a mathematical model that models the entire effect. The controls for these models follow a linear or other function-based path for how the values correspond to the knob position. So syncing a delay or modulation rate is just a matter of doing a simple conversion. Other models are component-based. Line 6 tears them apart and models the behavior of every single piece in the effect (the whole modeling the light bulb thing). So with these effects, their behavior can be very non-linear and the controls interactive. So perhaps the speed of the Opto Trem changes slightly depending where the depth knob is or what the incoming signal is like. I don't exactly know what it is that's preventing them, but I'm guessing it's something like that.

DI talks about it a little here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-491#post-20688101

I think this is implied in the qualifying language from the manual stating that not all rates can be set to note value/tap control.

However, the answer to the question: "Do you want a component based Trem model that does not sync to tap tempo or an algorithm that does?" is: BOTH!

Thanks for all the replies. Some really good points!

My POD HD500X had tap tempo on the Optical Trem, so I was sort of expecting it on the Helix. Not having a trem with tap tempo (like an Empress Tremolo for example) is the first and only major disappointment with me for this unit so far.

• 4 months later...

I thought the whole idea of a modern multi FX unit is to have the ability to tempo sync (if wanted) all your effects. Not only does the line 6 fall short in not being able to send clock it also seems that some of the FX such as Tremolo (as discussed here) can't even be synced by using tap tempo. This is very poor ... I've had my unit for 3 days now and I'm contemplating weather or not I should return it!

In my honest opinion ... this unit is supposed to be a "flagship" guitar processor and in that sense there should be a nuclear arsenal of FX available to the user. Not just three or so flangers and a couple of chorus sounds, which aren't actually that convincing!

I think this unit has been released far to early to the public!!

Come on Line 6 .... and what about the promised editor !! 

I thought the whole idea of a modern multi FX unit is to have the ability to tempo sync (if wanted) all your effects. Not only does the line 6 fall short in not being able to send clock it also seems that some of the FX such as Tremolo (as discussed here) can't even be synced by using tap tempo. This is very poor ... I've had my unit for 3 days now and I'm contemplating weather or not I should return it!

In my honest opinion ... this unit is supposed to be a "flagship" guitar processor and in that sense there should be a nuclear arsenal of FX available to the user. Not just three or so flangers and a couple of chorus sounds, which aren't actually that convincing!

Come on Line 6 .... and what about the promised editor !! 

This thread is outdated now. These effects have all been updated so they can be synced with tap tempo now. Additionally, concerning the tremolo models, a new trem model was added that gives much more control and allows for much sharper waveforms.

Have you installed the latest firmware?

Well, you could always pretend it doesn't exist until your personal desires are realized.

Optical Trem does indeed sync to tempo. Press Knob 1 (Speed) and you'll see the value change from numerics to note values.

"Optical Trem does indeed sync to tempo. Press Knob 1 (Speed) and you'll see the value change from numerics to note values."

Hello ... thanks for your speedy reply. I have updated the Helix to the latest firmware (first thing I done before getting musically involved with presets etc) but nowhere in the manual could I see how to apply a tap signal or tempo to a tremolo effect. After reading your e-mail, I now understand that you need to apply a "CC No" to the tap and then assigning the trem speed to correspond to this "CC No"

Wonderful .... Thanks for your time and information

Regards

Ray

"Optical Trem does indeed sync to tempo. Press Knob 1 (Speed) and you'll see the value change from numerics to note values."

Hello ... thanks for your speedy reply. I have updated the Helix to the latest firmware (first thing I done before getting musically involved with presets etc) but nowhere in the manual could I see how to apply a tap signal or tempo to a tremolo effect. After reading your e-mail, I now understand that you need to apply a "CC No" to the tap and then assigning the trem speed to correspond to this "CC No"

Wonderful .... Thanks for your time and information

Regards

Ray

Seems like something perhaps got lost in translation there. You don't need to worry about assigning a CC# at all. You just press knob 1 to change the rate parameter to a note value, as DI stated, and you're good to go. The tap tempo switch will now control the rate of the tremolo, and the timing will be in line with whatever note value you chose.

This thread is outdated now. These effects have all been updated so they can be synced with tap tempo now. Additionally, concerning the tremolo models, a new trem model was added that gives much more control and allows for much sharper waveforms.

Have you installed the latest firmware?

.... You just press knob 1 to change the rate parameter to a note value, as DI stated, and you're good to go. The tap tempo switch will now control the rate of the tremolo, and the timing will be in line with whatever note value you chose.

This thread should be marked as answered with a green box. Although this was a legitimate issue when the topic was first posted this issue has now been addressed.

I have updated the Helix to the latest firmware (first thing I done before getting musically involved with presets etc) but nowhere in the manual could I see how to apply a tap signal or tempo to a tremolo effect.

Phil's correct; you just need to press the knob.

From the included one-page Helix Cheat Sheet (Knobs 1-6):

Press to toggle between Hz or ms and note values

From page 6 of the Helix Owner's Manual (Top Panel Overview):

SHORTCUT: For most time-based parameters such as delay time or modulation speed, press the knob to toggle between setting the value in ms or Hz and note divisions (1/4-note, dotted 1/8-note, etc.).

From page 24 of the Helix Owner's Manual (Common FX Settings—emphasis not mine):

Speed: Adjusts the speed of the effect, with higher settings providing faster rates. Press the knob to toggle between Hz and note values. Choosing a Hz value provides a specific modulation speed in cycles per second; choosing a note value provides a time based on the current tempo. Not all Speed parameters can be synced to note values, as they may be non-linear and highly interactive.