Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wiggly Preset and parameter knobs

talwilkins

Mine is like this also. Maybe it's no coincidence that the loose ones also allow a push down ability, which the volumes don't.

Yes, I had the same thought, but wasn't sure because I've also seen dials with push function that didn't move like that.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it's OK :) 

Yes, I had the same thought, but wasn't sure because I've also seen dials with push function that didn't move like that.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it's OK :)

Out of curiosity, which push encoders have you experienced that don't have some amount of play? We went through every single push encoder in the building, and in all of our studios, and Helix's are as good or better than all of them. There are $50,000 boxes with push encoders that have more wiggle.

Duncann's right; the push functionality requires some amount of play.

It's ok, I'm not trying to imply the dials are bad quality.

I was just a bit worried Mine were off.

I understand that the push fuctionality might require some amount of play.

that's the reason I asked the question to begin with, to find out if this was normal on these particular dials.

Actually I think the model selector on the Variax doesn't move like this  ;) 

It's ok, I'm not trying to imply the dials are bad quality.

I was just a bit worried Mine were off.

I understand that the push fuctionality might require some amount of play.

that's the reason I asked the question to begin with, to find out if this was normal on these particular dials.

Actually I think the model selector on the Variax doesn't move like this  ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive—I'm honestly interested in the push encoders you mentioned. Mechanical Engineering would love to tear them apart and see what makes 'em tick. We're always looking for ways to improve things.  :)

Secret: Helix's UI was more inspired by german supercars than other music gear.

So... does that mean that the Helix emits 40x the legal emissions limit?   :rolleyes: Maybe I should not play it in an enclosed space?

Did you have one DSP chip turned off during lab tests and then let both DSP chips loose right before shipping? :lol:

For those who care about the math:

Legal fuel-related pollutants emissions limit for purely electronic devices = 0

Fuel combustion emissions from Helix = 0

40 times the legal limit: 40 x 0 = 0

zOMG!!!1!!1 Helix is 40x over the legal limit!  :P

Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive—I'm honestly interested in the push encoders you mentioned. Mechanical Engineering would love to tear them apart and see what makes 'em tick. We're always looking for ways to improve things.  :)

On the Native Instruments Kontrol -S Keyboards, the main browsing rotary is pushable, solid as a rock and very satisfying to use.

push function is ok, but they are not good for dialing in the Parameters....first it takes about a quarter of the whole circle for some tiny jumps, and then, all of a sudden it jumps nearly to the opposite worth...it´s not easy to do that right...there are definitely better pots around...

push function is ok, but they are not good for dialing in the Parameters....first it takes about a quarter of the whole circle for some tiny jumps, and then, all of a sudden it jumps nearly to the opposite worth...it´s not easy to do that right...there are definitely better pots around...

That deals with firmware, not the actual part. It's something that can always be improved. The trick is that some knobs cycle through 2 values and others 8000 (!).