Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x: Best option for reamping

rmp5s1

Good evening!

Getting my HD500x tomorrow and I'm pretty stoked about it.

I'm wrestling with the best way to hook it up, though.  I'm wanting to get stereo guitar AND a dry signal for reamping in all in one fell swoop.

I'm currently using a Scarlett Solo and it only has 1 XLR in and one 1/4" in so I'm pretty sure that's going to have to get upgraded.

Other than that, what is the best way to achieve this?

I know it's going to be cables all over the friggin place, but I'm only going to be using it in a studio environment (at first, at least) so it isn't an issue...I'll get it all hooked up and cable managed and be done with it.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!!  Thank you! 

To get a stereo guitar track as well as a dry signal for recording you will need to upgrade your audio interface. The best route I think would be to get one with a s/pdif input as well as at least two audio inputs (a stereo pair) either XLR or 1/4". You can use the HD500X s/pdif output to feed the interface input to record the dry track and use the standard HD500X audio outputs to the interface inputs for the wet stereo track.

If you can settle for a mono guitar track and a dry signal you can use the HD500X as your audio interface for recording. All you need is a usb cable and you won't need to upgrade your Scarlett.

For recording a mono guitar track and a dry track simultaneously use this patch (with appropriate edits). Just edit Path A (the guitar signal path) by adding/replacing amp/FX. Don't change the preset structure. Read the description for usage details.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206/

Awesome!  Thank you.  I'll give that preset a shot.  I'm not opposed to upgrading the interface, but it may be more cost effective to just buy another one.  lol

Regarding S/PDIF, MAN does it seem tricky to find an interface with an S/PDIF *IN* that doesn't cost a pretty penny.  I can find tons of them with S/PDIF *OUTS* (hell, my Behringer U-Connect that I have my monitors plugged into for almost a decade has that) but ins are another story.  Ideally, I could find a S/PDIF to USB adapter of some kind, then run that for dry and the stereo signals over USB (I think?) which would even free up the 1/4" input on the Scarlett for a mic when I get an amp.

So many options!!  lol  Thanks for the info!

To get a stereo guitar track as well as a dry signal for recording you will need to upgrade your audio interface. The best route I think would be to get one with a s/pdif input as well as at least two audio inputs (a stereo pair) either XLR or 1/4". You can use the HD500X s/pdif output to feed the interface input to record the dry track and use the standard HD500X audio outputs to the interface inputs for the wet stereo track.

If you can settle for a mono guitar track and a dry signal you can use the HD500X as your audio interface for recording. All you need is a usb cable and you won't need to upgrade your Scarlett.

For recording a mono guitar track and a dry track simultaneously use this patch (with appropriate edits). Just edit Path A (the guitar signal path) by adding/replacing amp/FX. Don't change the preset structure. Read the description for usage details.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206/

Silverhead - Have you actually tried the S/PDIF suggestion? Because as far as I know from using the S/PDIF with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro (which died, so I can't try it just now), the same signal goes out the S/PDIF as goes out the XLR and 1/4" outs, just without the additional AD/DA conversion. Unless there's a switch in the settings that I missed?

The way I do what OP is asking is with an A/B box, one out to the POD and one to the Interface. The passive LiveWire ABY has a 1meg input and runs $50. The active Morley has 2  (1meg) inputs/2outputs and goes for around $85. What I like about the Morley is that if you have a Strat and a Les Paul you can adjust for the difference in output levels. He'd still need to upgrade the interface, but could do the deal for under $300 (USB2.0/4 inputs and no S/PDIF).

EDIT - then take the XLR or 1/4" outs from the POD to the interface for the wet signal.

I have no idea why I didn't think of that.  That's so simple.  Just split off the dry signal.  Thanks!!

Thanks for all the info, everyone!!

Silverhead - Have you actually tried the S/PDIF suggestion? Because as far as I know from using the S/PDIF with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro (which died, so I can't try it just now), the same signal goes out the S/PDIF as goes out the XLR and 1/4" outs, just without the additional AD/DA conversion. Unless there's a switch in the settings that I missed?

The way I do what OP is asking is with an A/B box, one out to the POD and one to the Interface. The passive LiveWire ABY has a 1meg input and runs $50. The active Morley has 2  (1meg) inputs/2outputs and goes for around $85. What I like about the Morley is that if you have a Strat and a Les Paul you can adjust for the difference in output levels. He'd still need to upgrade the interface, but could do the deal for under $300 (USB2.0/4 inputs and no S/PDIF).

EDIT - then take the XLR or 1/4" outs from the POD to the interface for the wet signal.

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, elkine said:

hi everyone, may this was redundant but i cant setup in my hd500x output dry and wet for recording.

can anyone give a hand whit this...?

thanks in advance.

if you have read the explanations already given in the previous posts you should have noticed that there are two possible ways:
- via S/PDIF connection
- through special built patches

The S/PDIF solution requires a second audio interface (which should be the one chosen in the DAW audio settings) provided with S/PDIF, you need the S/PDIF digital cable to connect the POD and the AI, and in the POD system settings (press and hold the VIEW button) at page 5 the S/PDIF OUTPUT should be set to DRY INPUTS.

For the special built patch solution, you could use the patch kindly provided above by silverhead as a template and put the amp and FX models you want in the path dedicated to the wet signal (this path is used only for monitoring purpose, its signal is not the one which should be recorded), and leave empty the path which is carrying the dry unprocessed signal which you want to record in your DAW track. Before starting the recording you need to select in your DAW which one of the 2 signals coming from the POD should be recorded in the DAW track. Choose the one corresponding to the dry unprocessed signal.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips