Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX WITH ACTIVE CAB

Maaco1887

Hello,

I was wondering if I should bypass the Cabs on my Helix Presets if I'm using a Powered Cab such as the Atomic CLR Active Cab.

Also any advice you can give me would be great. As far as Running it to a powered cab. Fav presets...ect....

Thanks,

Kyle

generally you should use the cabs/IR's with a FRFR type powered speaker.  They are designed to accurately reproduce what you are sending them, warts and all, so you will get a more raw sound that can be overly harsh without the cab/IR.  A guitar cab and speaker is very different with a specific tone range designed to work with a guitar.  It rolls off the harsh highs and most of the real lows and gives you that warm tone you expect.  Using the cabs/IRs gives you that guitar cab effect and lets you tailor the tone to match a multitude of options.  Give it a try, it won't hurt anything.  Up to you whether you like it or not.

The reason you should use speaker simulations (IRs) on FRFR speakers is because the good ones (like the Atomic CLR) are "tone-wise" non-colored very flat response speakers, specifically made for IR use... Mesa, Peavey, Marshall, Fender, Crate etc.etc speaker cabs are ALL colored and tuned to sound the way their engineer wanted them to. In most cases you would want IR's on, using FRFR active speakers.