Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta Now Available

Digital_Igloo

I skimmed the thread and saw one other person ask this question, but I'm not sure if it's been answered. 

Who is this beta driver for? I'm using the 2.01 editor and firmware. Either the Helix is a class compliant core audio device, or one of those things installed a driver. If one of those things installed a driver, is this beta driver a newer version?

I ask because I play live with Ableton and would love to use the onboard soundcard. I previously used a FirefaceUFX, but was burglarized so I'm making do with a MOTU Traveler for the time being. The RME was rock solid. I'd trust the MOTU, though it's not rock solid. I like the features of the Helix's audio interface, but I just don't trust it. The Helix seems flakier than the MOTU, but I'd love to be able to trust it live. 

I'm happy to use it, but I don't want to downgrade to a beta if I'm already using a stable release.

• 2 months later...

Yes I'd like to know whether its still better to use this driver. on macOS Sierra 

Agree that Line 6 should clear this up.

Non official advice here, but I see no reason to use this driver with Sierra OS. This driver was a work around to earlier OS/USB communication issues. The core drivers in the last 2 versions of El Capitan and all of the versions of Sierra indicate that the Helix and my iMac are communicating properly. Again, my recording and playing is straight fwd - nothing fancy.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro on Mavericks 10.9.5 running Logic Pro X (10.2.2) - all 8 ins/outs appear and work fine with my Helix as a USB audio interface (latest firmware update 2.11).  But as the manual says, the sample rate is locked at 48k which I know will cause all sorts of issues if I try to use my iPad's digital out (44.1k) or my VG-99 (also 44.1k) into LPX at the same time (which I like to do).

I'm going to try the beta Mac driver and see how I make out.

The Mac driver beta seems fine in LPX on Mavericks (10.9.5).  Re-amping works as advertised with all 8 ins/outs available, iTunes & other audio play-through works, etc etc and I can record at 24/96k. Which means I would need to bring the iPad audio and VG-99 audio in through the Helix or my MOTU 896 if I want a 24/96 project.

Cool!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Line6Tony unpinned this topic
  • 11 months later...
On 4/13/2016 at 3:31 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Today we released a Mac OS X driver that improves audio performance and supports sample rates up to 96 kHz. It has no impact on editor communication. However, there's good news.

Since OS X 10.11.4 was released publicly, Apple also released a slew of developmental diagnostic tools that helped us figure out a way to bypass the low-level USB port communication issue. This means that yes, even mid-2012 MacBook Pro Retina computers will be able to use the next release of the Helix application/editor. Even my mutant stepchild only-computer-in-the-building-that-fails works, and it's working well. Hasn't lost communication all day, and I've been custom labeling/coloring scribble strips from my laptop like a mad man.

We still need to add copy/paste and fix some lingering bugs, but we're getting close.

Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta Release Notes
Helix Mac Driver 1.00 is a public beta that improves multichannel audio performance. It supports the following sample rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 96 kHz.

IMPORTANT! Installing the Helix Mac Driver 1.00 Public Beta precludes using Helix with the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

The driver is available here: http://line6.com/software Be sure to click the Beta box, otherwise you won't see it!

After installing the driver and restarting your computer:
  1. Make sure Helix/Helix Rack is connected to a dedicated USB port on your Mac. Do not use any sort of USB hub.
  2. From the Apple menu, select “System Preferences…†and click the Sound icon.
  3. Click the Output tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).
  4. Click the Input tab. Line 6 Helix should appear in the list of devices. Click “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€).
  5. Open your DAW. In the list of audio devices, you may see two items—Line 6 Helix and (Helix Audio). Choose “Line 6 Helix†(or “Line 6 Helix Rackâ€) for both Input and Output.
If for whatever reason you want to uninstall the Helix Mac Driver:
  1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions. Inside the Extensions folder, you should see an item named “L6Helix.kext.†Drag this file to the trash.
  2. Empty the trash and restart your computer. Helix will return to using the class-compliant OS X Core Audio driver.

Known Issues
  • On rare occasions, loss of audio occurs after waking your computer from sleep
  • Audio artifacts may occur while adjusting UI controls in several DAW applications

Is there any manual or link or tutorial or thread that can tell me how to switch between the drivers? the classic compliant and line6 one?