Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x losing volume over time

OasisMcFly

My HD500x is having a strange issue where the longer I play, the quieter it gets. For instance, last night we were having a band practice and after about half an hour, my bandmates started to notice that my guitar was getting quieter. So I turned up my channel on the PA, but after a few more minutes it was getting quiet again. Switching patches seems to remedy the problem for a while, but after about half an hour, it goes back to losing volume. 

Some things I noticed:

- The volume issue was not specific to one single patch

- Switching to any other patch restores volume. I can even switch to another patch and then immediately switch back to the original patch.

- Setting all the knobs to the extremes did not make a difference. 

- Powering the Pod off and then back on did not correct the problem

I think I am going to try a firmware reset tonight. Is there anything else I should try?

Next thing I would try is another power supply. If you don't have one borrow or see if a local store will let you use their PS in the store while you jam.

All in all if its not software, its most likely hardware. So if nothing else helps its probably time to contact L6 and put in a support ticket.

One thing I think I have found that exacerbates this issue is using the pedal board while having HD Edit running at the same time. Even if it's to just use the volume pedal. I've stopped using the pedal when HD Edit is hooked up to the HD500 and that issue has gone away (I think). I believe the pattern is, I use the HD500 pedal board while still hooked up to the computer and HD Edit. I shut down everything without saving the last changes I did to the HD500. When I rerun HD Edit, the channel volume changes as it is loading (I can hear it.) and stays at the new level.

My theory is the HD500 comes up with what I last had going on which is in a buffer area reflecting what was changed but not what is saved in that particular slot, when HD Edit is fired up it goes past the buffer and loads what is stored in that patch slot. Or visa versa. I haven't focused on this problem enough yet to have tracked down exactly what is going on.