Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD : Starting Over

napynap

The cover band I've been gigging with is making some major changes. After 4 years of creating patches for every party song they do, I'm going to create all new tones. This is an exciting time for me since I've learned so much from this forum. I'm going to concentrate on making my own sound that I will use across the many genres I play (instead of emulating other artist's tones). It's great that POD is so flexible to allow this. If you have also decided to make a big change, let's all post our progress here!

• Upvote 1

The cover band I've been gigging with is making some major changes. After 4 years of creating patches for every party song they do, I'm going to create all new tones. This is an exciting time for me since I've learned so much from this forum. I'm going to concentrate on making my own sound that I will use across the many genres I play (instead of emulating other artist's tones). It's great that POD is so flexible to allow this. If you have also decided to make a big change, let's all post our progress here!

Once you've been at it long enough, and your repertoire gets large enough, trying to create a separate tone for everything you might conceivably play on a given night becomes an exhausting, Herculean task. I gave up on that long ago...go ahead and play "Another Brick In The Wall" with a Les Paul if you feel like it...the only one who's gonna notice anyway is the guitar player standing in the back with his arms folded. You can play all night, any tune under the sun, with 4 or 5 patches tops: crystal clean, edge of breakup, mild dirt, heavy crunch, and a lead tone that you vary with the guitar's volume. And maybe an acoustic patch, if you're a Variax guy. Done and done.

• Upvote 3

You know I came to this realization a few years back and it was quite liberating. Doing a two band shuffle required two set lists as one was a cover band and one an original. Like Cruisin' sez 4-5 was all I eventually boiled things down too (and a coil tap helped with the rest).

Most patch work done is for my own S&Gs and if one is a standout I will chug it into the modeler and let her rip at practice to see how it fits in the mix.

It was madness trying the patch per song route but a fun learning experience nonetheless. :)

• Upvote 1

Once you've been at it long enough, and your repertoire gets large enough, trying to create a separate tone for everything you might conceivably play on a given night becomes an exhausting, 

one trick is to use the same patch but have multiple copies under different names. That way you aren't actually making it for each song.

I work for a large media corporation (but fully expect to be canned now that the one particular show moved to a new network after being canceled). So, I have to have the patches available when needed. For me. For others. They say, "tonight we are doing X" and it always has to be there.

And then, because there are any number of songs that could be done in any order, instead of flipping back and forth between 1a and whatever patch I need to move to, I can just put the patches in order by song title even though 10 of 30 may use the same settings. 

Large database. But not as time consuming.

yeah, it is different when you are in a "cover" band. And you have all intentions of getting up and doing the same 40 songs in the same order every week. But then someone always wants a request. Or the crowd is not reacting to certain stuff tonight but getting a kick out of others. 

That's why you can have the individual song patches arranged in order. But then in another setlist, or maybe at the end of a setlist, you can always store 'generic' patches so when they want a certain tune, you can go to something that will work.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the responses. This cover band plays many genres including spanish, cumbias, bandas, nortenia, as well as oldies, disco, some newer pop hits, and yes, even 'Another Brick in the Wall'. I'm going to take your advice and just make it simple. As soon as I get time to start over, I'll post some progress here.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have always doen it the same way since my Digitech RP-1 days lol! By Bank

1 General Purpose

2 Country Roots

3 Alt Rock/ Modern

4 Latin/ Santana

5 Metal

6- Jazz

7 Specialty etc...

clean to dirty / left to right on the bottom switches with top switches assigned to anything I want to turn on and off

that feature makes the HD 500 superior to the Boss units and yes I know they do that too but not in an intuitive simple way.

I can cover 80% of everything I need to do with the first three banks

at least until someone starts screaming for Crazy Train/ Metallica/ Sabbath/ Slayer etc...

• Upvote 1

So I spent some time getting a clean tone that will work for most styles in a live setting. It has a bit of bite and compression on it.  (I'll add chorus/delay etc for certain patches). This one is purely the amp tone with just a touch of spring reverb. Super strat style Guitar middle Pickup (and one Bridge Pickup) ->POD HD PRO ->Input1 Guitar, Input2 Mic->impedance In-Z-1M->Global EQ Flat.  Blocks are: PreampEQ->Dynamics Tube Comp->Dynamics Vetta Juice->Jazz Rivet Amp with 112 BF 'Lux Cab, 57 On XS, Cab edit Lowcut 124hz-> Dynamics Noise Gate->Spring Reverb.

Here's a short mp3 clip with some popular licks. Forgive the mistakes, these licks are getting old anyway lol.

What do you think of the tone?

napynap_clean-patch2-soundclip.mp3 - 5 MB
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o915qyzow8qn3rd/napynap_clean-patch2-soundclip.mp3

-edit, added impedance setting