Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flash Memory Update/USB Connection Issues

hfo1986

Hi! I need some help, regarding the technical issues I'm having with my POD HD 500. When I power ON the device, it will display the LINE 6 logo permanently, so, the device won't initialize; I have tried a "FACTORY RESET", pressing the left arrow while powering the POD, but without success. Pressing/holding the down arrow, it will indicate: "UPDATE FLASH". Assuming that it needs a "FLASH MEMORY" update, it simply won't be possible by any means to do it, because: When using "Line 6 MONKEY", it won't recognize any USB connection to the POD, so it won't detect the device. If it doesn't detect the device via USB, and a "RESET" won't work either, how can I solve this issue and update the "FLASH MEMORY"? Connecting the POD via MIDI-USB Interface, the POD HD500 won't appear on the "Monkey's" list, while other devices will. I wonder why this model cannot be updated via MIDI Interface. It simply doesn't make any sense for me; I also tried to use different USB cables, USB ports on my laptop, tried to re-install Line 6 Monkey and everything else., but with no effect). RESUMING: Nothing works. Being a professional musician, I really need to solve this problem as quickly as possible, so I hope that someone out there can help me on this!

I will be awaiting for your replies. Best regards to everyone! ;) 

Hélder Oliveira

Hi hurghanico. Thank you for your help. But, what do you mean exactly by "re-flashing the firmware"? Do you mean: Simply trying to update the POD in a different computer? A few days ago I also tried to connect the POD via USB in another computer, but still, it didn't detect the POD, so, if it won't detect it via USB and the POD can only be updated by USB, how can I solve this problem?

I already opened a support ticket to speak with the L6 official support team, and I'm awaiting for their reply. 

Thanks! All the best,

Hélder Oliveira

• Like 1

Hi! Okay, I will try that ;) The USB Port isn't broken and I think that the "internal USB chip controller" is also working, because some time ago, it was broken and then it was fixed by a professional, so, my USB Port was replaced by a new one. I will also try this last procedure you told me to try. I hope that it works :) I'm a professional guitarist and I do music for a living, so, I must to repair the POD as soon as I can, otherwise, I will have to buy a new POD HD 500 X perhaps...

Thanks again. I will message you back and tell you if it worked or not. Cheers!

Hélder

I just tried that, but still not working. When I start "Line 6 Monkey" it still indicates the same message: "No Devices Detected"... It's really weird. I hope that the Line 6 Official Support guys will find some solution for this issue...

try also this procedure:

try holding down the right nav key while powering on, and use the up/down arrows to select the option "FLASH", and then run Line 6 Monkey to reinstall the firmware..

however I heard that also the power supply could be the cause of similar issues

The right arrow provides you with some self-diagnostics. When selecting FLASH, it will just run a test for that particular item and then return back to the menu selection screen, indicating the state of the test. "P" means pass. Also note that there are more options hidden off-screen, so keep scrolling down on the main menu. It's definitely worth trying some of the options from this boot-mode. It could potentially help narrow things down.

The down-arrow while powering on puts the device into "Update Flash" mode. But since hfo1986 has already tried this, and Line 6 Monkey doesn't recognize the device on multiple computers, really the only thing left to try and eliminate as the problem is the power supply, as you suggest above.

• Upvote 1

Hi Duncann! Thank you for your help. I have also tried to use the "right arrow" menu options as you said, and when I select "FLASH", it will display: "P" (Pass). So, if the problem really is the "Power Supply", I will try to power ON the POD with another power supply this week. I have some friends that also have POD HD 500 and 500 X units, so I will try to use their "Power supply", as well, try again to connect my POD to their laptops, etc. Meanwhile, perhaps the personnel from Line 6 Official Support Team will help me out on this too. There must be a solution out there, even though the solution is to buy a new device, lol. 

Thanks again :)

Cheers!

Hélder

Hi again Hurghanico and Duncann. I've tested the power supply and its voltage, and it's working fine. I also have tried again to test the POD in another computer, but nonetheless, nothing has worked so far. I finally got a reply from the staff of Line 6, and I've followed all the steps that they told me to do (re-installing the drivers, testing it with another computer again...etc.) but it didn't work. As Hurghanico as suggested before, the problem could be the Internal USB chip controller broken (even though I had the USB Port fixed some time ago). After trying everything, I think that's the only possible conclusion. Tomorrow I will try to find some professional that could fix it (If that's the case), and I have already sent another e-mail to the staff of Line 6, informing them of the current situation...

Best regards!

Hi! I'm not an electronics expert too, so, you might be right. Today I'll try to test it with the Power Supply of the POD HD 500X of a friend of mine. But I still believe that the real problem is the USB internal chip, and the guys from Line 6 this morning told me that I could be right, so, I guess I'm gonna try to find someone to replace the chip (if it's not too expensive). Buying an used HD could be a better option...

By the way, do you know what is the right USB Chip for the HD 500?

Don't know the exact USB chip on the HD, but I did stumble across a place that sells some Line 6 replacement parts: http://www.fullcompass.com/brand.php?brand_id=LN6&rewrite_name=Replacement-Service-Parts&query=hd500

A quick search didn't bring anything up for the USB chip, but maybe if you call them, they'll know. Not sure if they even ship stuff internationally though.

The other way to find out is to remove the housing on the HD and locate the chip.

Hi everyone! Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it :) Duncann, I checked it out with the place that sells Line 6 replacement parts (Full Compass), but they don't ship to Portugal, but then, I was able to contact the Line 6 representatives in my country (Diaptecnica) and they can sell me the right USB Chip. I already ordered it from them. It costed me 23.73 € (with shipping costs included), but they had to order it from Yamaha (I think Line 6 now is managed by Yamaha). They told me that the delivery time is about 1 week, so, hopefully I will get it before Christmas and will have it replaced by a electronics technician from the region I live in. I hope that it all works ;) Meanwhile, Line 6 Customer Service also informed me that the USB Chip I need is the following: 

IC CONTROLLER USB 2.0 W/8052 MCU CY7C68013A-56; Part number: QN171562

Hurghanico, In any case, I will save the links that you have sent to me (It can be always useful, specially the USB Chip Manual). Thanks! ;)

Pfsmith0, thank you for your suggestions too. I guess the problem is really the USB Chip Controller. 

All the best to everyone!

Hélder

Sounds like you're on the way to getting things fixed.

As long as someone's gonna be poking around in there, you might want to suggest to the technician to also replace the USB port with a more rugged one. These ports on the HDs are known for breaking easily, as evidenced by hurghanico above.

• Upvote 1

Duncann, yes, I really hope so :) You're right about these USB ports. They break very easily, but that's okay because the current USB port I have on my POD is a more rugged one than the original one that came with this model.

I have a USB port like this: http://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/data/6/0a06438911731530e74f848e28/image/jpeg/file.jpeg

The original USB Port I had before, it was a port like the one Hurghanico has shown above. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion ;)

When I get to solve this issue, I will let you know, and I will let you know if the cause of the problem was really the USB chip (I hope so!) :-P

Cheers!

Hélder 

I think it's time I went to trading standards as these units aren't fit for purpose. I've tried to update firmware softwares crashed saying it's not connected and the units stuck on screen update firmware. I know people are saying these aren't an expensive unit but end of the day these were made as a pro rig before Helix.. I'm hazard ingredients a guess my rigs now

I think it's time I went to trading standards as these units aren't fit for purpose. I've tried to update firmware softwares crashed saying it's not connected and the units stuck on screen update firmware. I know people are saying these aren't an expensive unit but end of the day these were made as a pro rig before Helix.. I'm hazard ingredients a guess my rigs now

Did you buy the unit new? If so, why not simply get it replaced under warranty?

If you bought it second hand, then the primary issue you have is with the person who sold it to you, not L6.

You don't have any basis on which to claim that these devices are unfit for purpose and muttering darkly about trading standards. That's just counter-productive.

Could be that jandrio has the fix there, StaffK.

If soldering isn't your thing, then review the basics first :-)

http://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/how-to-solder/

Or get someone else to sort this out. It isn't a £200 repair.

I'm really sorry that you are having grief with this btw. I'd be irritated too, but I would try to *fix* the problem as well.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again everyone! I would like to tell you that I finally solved the issue on my POD HD 500 ;) As Hurghanico has suggested, the problem was really the "Internal USB Chip Controller" that was damaged. So, I ordered a new one, then, I got someone to install it, and now the POD is functioning well again! I'm really happy. I wanna thank you all for your help! 

Best regards from Portugal! ;) 

Hélder

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Glad you got it all sorted out. Thanks for following up and letting the forum know how it turned out.

Hopefully you weren't without it for too long. Somehow, playing guitar without some sort of device like the HD just isn't the same. I imagine it's close to having no guitar at all!

• 2 weeks later...

So still no Further myself TBH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! flashed it went back to factory reset, uploaded all my set lists, worked great for about a month then back to been a sack of lollipop. Ran all the flash tests the flash & sd passed. According to line 6 techs it needs a new board thats without even looking at it & as rare as rocking horse lollipop, I have the rocking horse lollipop my guitars plugged into it. so whats happening, well error8000000a, also error had to rename the patches, error on flash cant find the device after it was connected to it turns on and off & when I say that I mean the logo reflashes. Line 6 Get your acts together wether these are the cost of axe fx or a bottle of beer these are your product & x amount of buyers are been screwed over. sort it out son

So This USB Issue seems to be a regular common thing and pretty surprised there,s never been a recall to solve the problem. Just priced up today for the UK Tech team and for a supply and fit of power supply & the usb socket and controller module is best part of £200 if this is the problem i.e Boards gone bye bye. So as  it seems to be when the unit is warm/hot i`m going to custom build my HD Pro X by stripping the case and building into a gator case with 4 silent running gamers fans from a computer poss on constant run, hopefully make it stable. & sorry for the rocking horse lollipop comments didnt realise you couldnt say poop & A -1 Neutral is that supposed to be a like. Again a common issue which seems to have made the HD range the noose around Line 6 neck.

• 1 year later...

Olá sou do Brasil, estou tendo o mesmo problema como muitos aqui, não sei falar inglês, ficou um dúvidas eu troquei a porta usb, mas minha POD HD 500 continua sem ser reconhecida, hfo1986, quando você trocou o chip não precisou de nenhum tipo de programação? Ou foi apenas trocar e o computador reconheceu ? Preciso de ajuda help me ... 

20180321_071629.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2017 at 4:51 PM, hfo1986 said:

Hi again everyone! I would like to tell you that I finally solved the issue on my POD HD 500 ;) As Hurghanico has suggested, the problem was really the "Internal USB Chip Controller" that was damaged. So, I ordered a new one, then, I got someone to install it, and now the POD is functioning well again! I'm really happy. I wanna thank you all for your help! 

Best regards from Portugal! ;) 

Hélder

Hi Hélder,

I have also replaced the internal USB controller, but all happaned that Line6 Monkey recognize my HD500. I cant update the firmware on it. Did you do any other thing or just rapced the chip? 

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2018 at 6:39 AM, davideuclides said:

Olá sou do Brasil, estou tendo o mesmo problema como muitos aqui, não sei falar inglês, ficou um dúvidas eu troquei a porta usb, mas minha POD HD 500 continua sem ser reconhecida, hfo1986, quando você trocou o chip não precisou de nenhum tipo de programação? Ou foi apenas trocar e o computador reconheceu ? Preciso de ajuda help me ... 

20180321_071629.jpg

Você conseguiu resolver seu problema? Estou com o mesmo.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just to let you know that I've also solved my issue by replacing the USB Controller chip and the USB Port.

This topic was very helpful and I hope all of you can solve your problem as well.

I bought a CY7C68013A-56PVXC (I didn't buy it directly from the Line 6 distributor, I bought it from ebay) and it worked nice.

For those who believe it wouldn't work because it should have a firmware pre instaled, actually it needs a firmware but the firmware isn't located in that part so you don't need to be worried about buying directly on any Line 6 distributors.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
On 06/01/2017 at 13:51, hfo1986 said:

Olá novamente a todos! Eu gostaria de dizer que finalmente resolvi o problema no meu POD HD 500 ;) Como  Hurghanico sugeriu, o problema era realmente o "Controlador de Chip USB Interno" que estava danificado. Então, eu pedi um novo, então, consegui alguém para instalá-lo, e agora o POD está funcionando bem novamente! Eu estou realmente feliz. Quero agradecer a todos pela ajuda! 

Cumprimentos de Portugal! ;) 

Hélder

hi bro  im chris brasil  / fala mano aqui é o Chris do brasil 

same problem happened  2 unity podhd500  this weekend here / aconteceu  o mesmo problema em 2 podhd500 esse fim de  semana aqui 

you can help get  this chip usb controller ?/  poderia me ajudar conseguir  esse chip controlador usb ?

On 24/05/2019 at 22:17, Igor_raphael said:

Oi, pessoal.

Só para informar que também resolvi meu problema substituindo o chip do controlador USB e a porta USB.

Este tópico foi muito útil e espero que todos vocês possam resolver seu problema também.

Comprei um CY7C68013A-56PVXC (não comprei diretamente do distribuidor da Line 6, comprei no ebay) e funcionou bem.

Para quem acredita que não funcionaria porque deveria ter um firmware pré instalado, na verdade ele precisa de um firmware mas o firmware não está localizado nessa parte então você não precisa se preocupar em comprar diretamente em nenhum distribuidor da Line 6 .

One  More Brazuca  here...where  buy  this usb controller  i have 2 unity pod  same problem here  ... only  replace  original  so??/ onde vc comprou  estou com esse mesmo problema em duas pod hd500... é só  substituir então??/

On 8/2/2022 at 9:56 PM, chrishomer said:

hi bro  im chris brasil  / fala mano aqui é o Chris do brasil 

same problem happened  2 unity podhd500  this weekend here / aconteceu  o mesmo problema em 2 podhd500 esse fim de  semana aqui 

you can help get  this chip usb controller ?/  poderia me ajudar conseguir  esse chip controlador usb ?

You should easily find plenty of them if you google "CY7C68013A-56PVXC"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 9 months later...