Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parkway Drive

MJDD777

Best thing you can do is sit with the helix and work out yourself. Do some research for the original equipment used and go from there. You will learn so much! There are no short cuts to be had with the unit, you just have to dive in and try.

Thanks for the reply but do you have any idea on exact settings and if any equalisers are required etc.?

This is a road frequently traveled around here...but it always ends the same way: dirt road in the middle of nowhere (listen carefully for banjos...tends to end badly ;) ), car puking coolant, and a weary traveler stranded and cursing a blue streak.

There is but one way to dial in the tones you seek, and that's to experiment and find what works for you. The odds of someone else's "exact settings" giving you what you're looking for is essentially zero. You're using different gear, and you're a different player...the list of variables is of Biblical length. It will be a long and frustrating journey this way. You just hafta plug away at it until you figure the unit out.

This is a road frequently traveled around here...but it always ends the same way: dirt road in the middle of nowhere (listen carefully for banjos...tends to end badly ;) ), car puking coolant, and a weary traveler stranded and cursing a blue streak.

There is but one way to dial in the tones you seek, and that's to experiment and find what works for you. The odds of someone else's "exact settings" giving you what you're looking for is essentially zero. You're using different gear, and you're a different player...the list of variables is of Biblical length. It will be a long and frustrating journey this way. You just hafta plug away at it until you figure the unit out.

^^THIS^^

I'm using the 5150 and mesa boogie sim on the helix which is cool but still doesn't sound good seem to be forever messing around with different eq patches and so on rather annoying

It's kind of the "nature of the beast". The Helix is simulating a full gear chain, so you gotta nail all the components as close as possible. Always keep in mind, also, that recorded guitar tones probably didn't sound ANYTHING like the finished product (other than gain structure, basic tonality) when they were tracked in, plus there is bass, drums, and a plethora of mix techniques to get modern hard rock to sound the way it does. It may seem tedious, but learning how to use the device from beginning to end will make further tone chasing expeditions much easier. 

I'd also HIGHLY recommend getting the Allure IR pack and any free Mesa Cab IRs you can find. The cabs built into Helix are fine, but a good IR is better.

I'm using the 5150 and mesa boogie sim on the helix which is cool but still doesn't sound good seem to be forever messing around with different eq patches and so on rather annoying 😂

Eventually one reaches a point of diminishing returns with any amp model. If you can't get either of those models to do your bidding, try others. Even if it's a model of which you'd never consider using the "real world" counterpart. You might be surprised...no rules with modeling. If it sounds good, it is good. Who cares how you get there...

Chasing an "exact" sound of a recording is a road that can take you to nowhere. When I attempt replicating an approximate sound, I just listen to determine what amp they may be using and what guitar and that is it. There may be some obvious effects that can be picked out like modulation types and delay, but those are just the sprinkles on the donut. 

I can get about 80-90% close to nailing a tone on a particular recording. However when I play that song for someone, they immediately recognize the song. They can't tell that the tone is not "exactly" like what was originally recorded. 

Too may people get hung up trying to "nail" so-and-so's sound. It's not going to happen.