Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rotary effect drastically alters tone

leftyz

I run my Helix using the 4CM into my (modded) Marshall DSL40C. I've tried moving the different rotary models all over the path -in front of and after the amp loop. No matter where though it always takes off a bunch of top end and muffles my tone. I've tried running in tandem with an eq and push the high freq up significantly. I've used a Boss RT-20 and an Eventide H9 and not had that problem with either of those. Any tricks to make it sound more transparent?

• Upvote 1

Hey, I use the rotarys a lot in my patches. The problem is there very accurate in there modelling. By design they boost the mids and dip the highs. There are lots of different things you can try. Remember it's a cab so don't run it into one, try it parallel with a cab. Try a parametric eq straight after, that should help. Watch my comfortably numb or dark side tutorial to see how I do it.

The rotary models are actually models of speakers, but they are in the modulation effects menu for some reason. I guess because they are time modulated.

So using 4cm with the rotary, you are essentially running a speaker model into you speaker cabinet, so you will lose quite a bit of top end.

Maybe someone on the forum has some tips for making this work better for you. I don't run 4cm, so I am of no help.

• Upvote 1

Good points all about it being a cab...I guess I got so used to using it as an effect I sort of forgot those are actual enclosures...DUH. :-)

I will try running it with some parametric eq and see what happens. Thanks all. I'm still getting a feel for what effects go where in this thing.

The Leslie effect is a modeling a cabinet with a horn, but it is likely not based on an IR. Its impossible to know for sure, but the speaker modeling may be traditional passive EQ and not the dynamic effect of an IR. So you could try using an EQ after the Leslie to undo some of the high-cut, then go into a speaker model, or feed the speaker model into the Leslie. Although this might be "technically wrong", it still might sound better - sort of like mic-ing a guitar amp and feeding it into a Leslie speaker.

You might also find that running the Leslie effect in a separate path in parallel with a speaker works well too.