Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wow, the acoustic models are fantastic!

Now that I've got my handy-dandy JTV89 back from Line 6 all tuned up and ready to go, I have been spending some time actually playing with the models. Previously, I had pretty much only used the magnetic pickups and the Strat model. I am finding that I like the Special in particular, but finally took the time to set up a preset on my Helix for messing with acoustic tones and I am really impressed with them. Not only do they actually sound very close to the things they purport to model, but they also really capture the nuances of the acoustic sound. Don't know how you did it, but kudos to you, Line 6!

• Upvote 1

What was your acoustic preset like?

I didn't do much. I am using the Gibson acoustic setting with the tone rolled back very slightly, then I have it go into the studio preamp for a little extra gain, an EQ that is mostly just boosting the mids a little bit (I eventually want to configure it to cut some of the boominess of that model), and finally a reverb for some space. Basically, it is set the same way I would run an actual acoustic.

• Upvote 1

On acoustic models, the tone knob changes the mic position.

Thanks... I've read it before, but I keep forgetting it :-/

So much to keep track of....

I love the idea of Workbench, and then I look at it and want to crawl under a blanket and hide... Eek, so many options

:o

One step at a time....

No kidding. I have spent almost no time in Workbench. Way too much to do and experiment with. I have made two changes to the stock sounds - boosted the volume of the Strat models (frankly, I think nearly all the models could come up to match the magnetics) and made one custom model that is just the magnetics with the volume and tone tweaked to sound like the normal magnetics so that I can easily switch between magnetics and models in one Helix preset without having to deal with a bunch of different paths.

• 5 months later...

Long time user new poster.  I've always enjoyed Vax acoustic models but they're only gonna sound "right" if you use full range amplification.  A guitar amp/speaker colors the acoustic sound too much and simply doesn't sound good in most cases.  

I sometimes do gigs where I only have a guitar amp backline and for those situations it would be better to have modeled piezo bridge pickup acoustic samples available.  In other words, like Fishman/Baggs pickups modeled for an acoustic patch or two?  Those systems tend to sound like the industry accepted sound through guitar amps unlike the microphone modeled tones of the Vax.  

You can try voting up the suggestions for the ability to blend the piezo pickups with the acoustic model - that way you can go 100% piezo output and potentially input that into acoustic guitar IRs in Helix or other IR loader too.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/515946

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/576212

• Upvote 1

And then there's the 700 acoustic. The models are simply amazing straight outta the box... and into a PA or acoustic amp. Spice things up with a pinch of 'verb or a dash of delay, and I dare say they're even better than the real thing. Add to that the craftsmanship and feel of the instrument... Well, let's just say I'm sad they don't make em anymore, but then they're all the more desirable.ðŸ˜

Comparing the acoustic models of my JTV-59 to my 700 acoustic, the JTV runs a respectable second. The difference being due to the 700's chambered body, and the fact that it uses acoustic strings. There's just one downside... it doesn't have electric guitar models.

• Upvote 1