Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So who uses a Friedman ASM-12 with Helix?

spikey

They also make the ASC-12, which is same as ASM, but in an amp shaped enclosure (rather than the floor wedge shape of the ASM)

Would be substantial investment to get a pair of them if you need stereo!

Also; for what it's worth, it takes XLR input only, so you might need to do some messing with cables and such to route to the mains in stereo and to the ASM or ASC in mono.

http://friedmanamplification.com/monitors/asc-12

AF_FA_ASC-12-Back_2000x2000.jpg

AF_FA_ASC-12-Front_2000x2000.jpg

Just curious as I just ran across this item. Looks awesome and has some positive user response.

Im pretty sure theres a video floating around here, with a dude playing one....because ive been considering one for a while now since that vid. It kinda got me hip to it.

I remember being somewhat impressed with the sound and thats really saying a lot. Im pretty critical. Esp when it comes to tones. I feel like my monitors are going to get any more FRFR, but yet even before i noticed this thread i was kicking around calling sweetwater to check their return policy on this particular kit.

Well lets hear it man?

You gotta be able to play too, dial tones, have a descent guitar, and a good ear too. Speakers alone arent going to give you "tones to die for."

Here Ya go. Recorded with a "cheapy" Shure Prologue mic.

Yea I kinda know about that "other" stuff involved besides speaker's only (been doing this since 69), yer right it takes more than just the FRFR speakers to sound good.  :D But I think these ASM-12's sound killer in any case. As always, YMMV.

Off the cuff, I did a cleanish, then added a modulated effect, then some dirt... Hope ya'll like.  :)

Mv513Gb.jpg

SoundCloud

Thanks for the listen, specracer986! Yea that "little darkness" you speak of could be because of where the mic was positioned (speaker side) as these aren't coaxial.  Back a bit further it sounds really nice to these old ears, but you know what they say... Older the player, the higher the treble! ;)

Like I said, don't just believe my babbling and raving, read the mostly positive reviews from the users on Sweetwaters page and other sites. Thats what initially got my attention.

• 1 year later...

I own one of these speakers.  Its the best in my opinion, it replicates what you miss most from an amp.  That bloomy, compressed cab sound you cant get out of anything but a real cabinet.  Except this, does it, and very well......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, rodneyrb said:

I own one of these speakers.  Its the best in my opinion, it replicates what you miss most from an amp.  That bloomy, compressed cab sound you cant get out of anything but a real cabinet.  Except this, does it, and very well......

This was my experience when I tried one for a little bit. Very guitar cab-like as far as the mid presence and air movement. I didn't think it sounded "better enough" for me to haul its heavy lollipop around everywhere when a molded PA speaker is 98% of the way there and half the weight. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, bones9965 said:

My lead player was using the Friedman ASM-12 and I was like "that's it!". I bought the ASC-12. We both got good deals on used models, hard to find but keep looking. These things are not cheap and they don't sound cheap either. 

Agreed. I did move my pair onto tripods, have the same pair and love them. They sound great with Helix and the KPA!