Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay/Reverb help....

themetallikid

I've listened to these presets that people come up with and they sound great, they sit well in a mix due to reverb/delay settings.  I struggle with it...I like what I hear on presets, but cannot for the life of me dial up something that sounds as good. 

Would someone be willing to help me out with a few settings? 

I'd like a reverb that will help the guitar sound more up front, and add some depth, nothing too 'wet', but enough that it does what it should.  I always seem to make them sound like a cave or the effect is non existent.

I'd like a good lead delay sound, I prefer ducking delays.  I cannot seem to get the level/repeats and such correct. 

I'm usually decent with tweaking once I have a home spot to start from, but to take a block and edit it from scratch...I get lost in the options of settings for those effects.   I play mostly rock covers, ranging in sounds from clean to Recto/Metallica sound.  most of our stuff sits in the medium gain range. 

I appreciate any input/help. 

I think there is value in actually learning what each parameter does rather than having someone elses settings.  When I first started out (back beforer electricity was dicovered) I was undisciplined with new devices and would make multple changes without really understanding the impact. It was actually learning to operate analog synthesizers that taught me how to do this better.
Basically, put aside time that is solely for learning the device. What I mean is, dont try to do this in practice time or at a rehearsal.  In helix there are settings in place on each block when you load it.  Use these as your starting point.  Liten to the change between the block switched on and off.  Then selct one parameter -  lets say its a delay block.  Choose the feedback control as an example.  Increase it by no more than 10% and listen to the change in the effect.  return it to the base setting and listen again, Increase it by 20%  etc etc. Spend 15 minutes or so doing this to each paramter, each time returning to the base setting as a comparison and only exploring one parameter at a time.  After you have explored all of the parameters, repeat the process exploring the impact of changing two at a time...etc etc ertc.
This may sound like a slow process but in the long run it is much more efficient.  There are very few effect sounds (or analog synth sounds) that I cannot hear and create a mental list of the settings that will recerate that sound (more or less).
The goal is to be able to hear something in your head and go straight to the device and create it.
I do belong to the Les Paul school of thought that you should create this way araound and not by going to the device and experimenting blindly - but each to their own.

I hope these ideas are useful to you.

I'd like a reverb that will help the guitar sound more up front, and add some depth, nothing too 'wet', but enough that it does what it should.  I always seem to make them sound like a cave or the effect is non existent.

I'd like a good lead delay sound, I prefer ducking delays.  I cannot seem to get the level/repeats and such correct. 

The key that you mention is "they sit well in the mix". What you set up at home that may sound great, may sound totally different when at rehearsal. There is no single reverb or delay settings that will work in every song, especially considering the range of music you are playing. 

In my personal taste, I have found that reverb does not help me stand out in the mix unless the song is dynamically low volume wise, and the guitar is clean. Otherwise it does quite the opposite.

What I have done is set up my presets as a wet/dry system where I control the wet with the expression pedal. I control what pedals are active in the wet path, and control the mix with the expression. What helps your sound stand out is the constant amount of dry (overdrives>distortions>amp/cab)

I think there is value in actually learning what each parameter does rather than having someone elses settings.  When I first started out (back beforer electricity was dicovered) I was undisciplined with new devices and would make multple changes without really understanding the impact. It was actually learning to operate analog synthesizers that taught me how to do this better.

Basically, put aside time that is solely for learning the device. What I mean is, dont try to do this in practice time or at a rehearsal.  In helix there are settings in place on each block when you load it.  Use these as your starting point.  Liten to the change between the block switched on and off.  Then selct one parameter -  lets say its a delay block.  Choose the feedback control as an example.  Increase it by no more than 10% and listen to the change in the effect.  return it to the base setting and listen again, Increase it by 20%  etc etc. Spend 15 minutes or so doing this to each paramter, each time returning to the base setting as a comparison and only exploring one parameter at a time.  After you have explored all of the parameters, repeat the process exploring the impact of changing two at a time...etc etc ertc.

This may sound like a slow process but in the long run it is much more efficient.  There are very few effect sounds (or analog synth sounds) that I cannot hear and create a mental list of the settings that will recerate that sound (more or less).

The goal is to be able to hear something in your head and go straight to the device and create it.

I do belong to the Les Paul school of thought that you should create this way araound and not by going to the device and experimenting blindly - but each to their own.

I hope these ideas are useful to you.

I'm all for this, but for the sake of trying to copy/paste a general setting that will accomplish what I want across my 48 presets, I was just looking for what others use as their 'stock' live setting for things.  

The key that you mention is "they sit well in the mix". What you set up at home that may sound great, may sound totally different when at rehearsal. There is no single reverb or delay settings that will work in every song, especially considering the range of music you are playing. 

In my personal taste, I have found that reverb does not help me stand out in the mix unless the song is dynamically low volume wise, and the guitar is clean. Otherwise it does quite the opposite.

What I have done is set up my presets as a wet/dry system where I control the wet with the expression pedal. I control what pedals are active in the wet path, and control the mix with the expression. What helps your sound stand out is the constant amount of dry (overdrives>distortions>amp/cab)

And I agree with this as well, my cup of dark porter beer is anothers wasted hops, lol.....however, again, I am just looking for some stock type settings that work for others to try out and see what I like.  It's hard for me to dedicate an hour to sit down and 'figure out' a delay setting only between job, actual band stuff to accomplish (poster runs, bookings, FB stuff, etc), wife time, 2 year old time, house chores.....nothing that I'm sure others dont also have to deal with....

I'm just a weekend warrior in a local cover band.  Looking for some help on some starter settings.  I already lock the delay to my preset/song's tempo...but the repeats and level also seems to good on others presets, and I can't seem to find that right balance.

As any mix / audio engineer will tell you, reverb is normally used to push a sound BACK into the mix, to make it sound further away.  A touch of delay would be a better choice if you're looking to add a little space but still leave you up fronter.

Granted it may be different for metal, but I like to use a fixed delay timing a little off from the actual beat, as it can add a little, umm, maybe chaos to the sound to make it interesting.  But I realize that could be a problem for speed metal and stuff.

I dont know man

I've listened to these presets that people come up with and they sound great, they sit well in a mix due to reverb/delay settings.  I struggle with it...I like what I hear on presets, but cannot for the life of me dial up something that sounds as good. 

Would someone be willing to help me out with a few settings? 

I'm usually decent with tweaking once I have a home spot to start from, but to take a block and edit it from scratch...I get lost in the options of settings for those effects.   I play mostly rock covers, ranging in sounds from clean to Recto/Metallica sound.  most of our stuff sits in the medium gain range. 

I appreciate any input/help. 

Why dont you just go to customtone and download some of those patches, and then replace the amps/cabs/ IRs with your sounds? Or flip thru the helix presets and do the same, replace the preset tones with the tones youve been dialing. I often find that the fx in a lot of these patches, including the ones on customtone, sound pretty close, its the amp sounds that need adjusted.

Also, it seems like you are battling some misconceptions. I mean reverb will never make a guitar sound like its more up front. Not in any case. The drier a sound is, the closer it sounds.