Sign in to follow this  
bclarke675

Has Anyone Successfully Updated To 2.0 Without Pod Hd500(x)?

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a JTV.  Concerned about screwing it up in Workbench HD and not having a POD HD500 to revert to prior firmware, then reflash to 2.0.

Seems to be a concern here.  I like my POD HD300 and don't really want the complications or cost of the 500x.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks, Bob

I've updated through the 500, the prox, and the included interface... 

Thanks Zap!

I'm looking at getting a "Dent & Scratch" JTV-69 from Sweetwater, and they ship it with 2.0, but I'd like to create my own guitars (part of the fun).  Didn't want to brick my JTV if I only have the dongle to use.

Bob

no one to my knowledge has ever bricked a JTV by using workbench with the interface.... only have those sorts of issues flashing.

if you are already at 2.0 when you get it, you're in the safe zone.

I was concerned about the Spank problem if I used Workbench to modify certain banks.  I know there's a corrected bank I can download and load from another site (vguitar), but if I had to flash back to an earlier firmware and back to 2.0 with the dongle, that was my concern.

you won't have to downflash because of a spank bug.. if the 2.0 flash isn't good out of the box, i'd go the exchange route rather than messing with it.

I don't think there'll be a problem out of the box.  I thought hooking the guitar to workbench and making any changes triggered the Spank bug.

generally no... but it can happen. you'll have a pretty good warranty thgrough sweetwater and line6 though.

Anyone who claims to have a definitive answer to that is lying (note the correct use of the qualifier 'generally' above....). Pick whatever answer you want, then wait and see .... :P

I have just purchased a jtv69 and somehow tried to update to the latest firmware through workbench HD but it failed 3 times, it would not complete.

The lights on the guitar stayed red... The vdi started to flash and the guitar stopped working. In all, tried 3 times, had to remove the battery to regain control but still no sounds... Got a bit worried for a bit. Then I unplugged all cables and restarted the procedures again...failed, started workbench and decided to upload all to the guitar and by miracle everything is now working. I consider myself quite good working on computers but this was a pain! The Spank model has no difference in sound fro position 2 and 3. Is this a bug?

Yes it is a WB bug.  You have to read the threads here to see how to move one of the pickups in WB to fix the Spank problem.  It's easy to do.  I am confused about your update though.  You do not do the Firmware update with WB you do it with Monkey.