Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Place flash and standalone Updater files under 'Archived' by default on Line6 'Downloads' page

HonestOpinion

Knowing Line6 they have already thought of this and have a good reason for why they chose another strategy. Nonetheless I would like to propose a change to the way the Flash and standalone Updater files are stored on the Line6 'Downloads' site. As many experienced users are aware the HX Edit application includes everything you need for a firmware update including the editor, Updater, and driver file. I think it would be a lot cleaner looking and less confusing for new owners of HX devices if the only thing they saw when they searched their device on the 'Downloads' page for new software was the HX Edit application. Maybe even only the latest HX Edit version. The flash, standalone Updater, and driver files, as well as older versions of HX Edit would be stored with the archive flag such that only checking the 'Archived' box during your search would bring them up on the Downloads site. 

This would help prevent the relatively frequent occurrence where users new to the update process either download the incorrect firmware file or run into issues because they are unaware that they need to be running the version of the editor that matches their firmware. A fair number of new users use the standalone Updater to upgrade their firmware but are still sitting on an old version of the editor and are then at a loss as to why they can't see the new features in the editor or are having issues with their presets or editor operation. Or worse yet, end up updating their firmware with the wrong version of the firmware for their device. I believe putting the standalone flash, Updater, and driver files in the archive section under 'Downloads' would largely eliminate this issue.

For the rare user who has such a poor internet connection they need a local copy of the firmware, need to revert to an older editor/firmware version, or have such an incompatible computer that they cannot install HX Edit they can be instructed to use the archive section to download only the Updater and firmware file. These would hopefully be infrequent exceptions.

Btw, I believe the same strategy might also apply for instance to the Variax download of Workbench which I believe includes Workbench, Monkey, and the Variax driver and therefor these files don't generally need to be available separately other than in the archive section. Less opportunity for users to get confused means less support required, fewer bricked units returned, and more Line6 resources dedicated to new devices and updates.  ;)

Well, Line 6 Updater serves other products besides the Helix...

That is fine. For other products where the Updater is not distributed as part of a package, as it is in the case of HX Edit, it can be listed without the archive flag. I believe in the case of the HX product line it is causing needless confusion and failed updates. I don't think people generally go to, for example, the "Helix" entry on the download page, when they need the Updater for another device unless they do it in error. Each device generally has its own named entry on the "All Products" dropdown menu on the Downloads page. If there is not an entry there for that device it would probably be easy enough to add one.

I suppose you could even give the Line6 Updater its own entry under "All Products" or even add a new checkbox on the Downloads page in addition to ""Beta" and "Archived" named something like "Standalone" but that seems like it might add a bit of unnecessary confusion as well. If you did add a "Standalone" checkbox that would be how you would pull up the Line6 Updater and firmware files. Few people would bother though, they would just download the HX Edit package with no checkboxes checked and proceed happily through their upgrade.

One thing that to me seems self evident though is that those standalone files do not need to be listed separately under product entries where the preferred procedure for a firmware upgrade is to download the entire package(HX Edit which contains everything you require for an upgrade - the Editor, Line6 Updater, and the driver). The usually unnecessary appearance of the Updater and firmware as separate entries is causing failed upgrades. Put the Flash and Updater files somewhere else and I think new user confusion about upgrades will drop dramatically. Just my opinion.

yes, anything to reduce the noise regarding updating errors.  It is far to easy for a new user to get this wrong. 

The other common new user problem for Helix users (probably irrelevant to HX Effects users) is a simple discussion of what comes out of the Helix by default as apposed to what comes out of a guitar amp speaker cab, so all the "fizzy" stuff that again wastes so much time could be minimised. This might even help people find their way to FRFR solutions without pain and frustration.

• Upvote 1

yes, anything to reduce the noise regarding updating errors.  It is far to easy for a new user to get this wrong. 

The other common new user problem for Helix users (probably irrelevant to HX Effects users) is a simple discussion of what comes out of the Helix by default as apposed to what comes out of a guitar amp speaker cab, so all the "fizzy" stuff that again wastes so much time could be minimised. This might even help people find their way to FRFR solutions without pain and frustration.

Agree with both of your points. In particular I am surprised not to see more people weighing in to support reorganizing the downloads page so that the only thing new HX device users see is just the HX Edit package they need to do an upgrade rather than also all the standalone files that can lead to a failed update. Let the standalone files live elsewhere on the downloads page where they will be available to everyone but not be a source of confusion, failed updates, and sometimes, at least temporarily, bricked devices.

We users who have been through many upgrades have no dog in this fight. We have been doing the upgrades so long we are very familiar with the process. This is to benefit new users and cut down on unnecessary stress for them not to speak of bad PR for Line6 when an update results in what appears to a new user to be a bricked unit. This would also help eliminate device returns both to the retailers and to Line6 for totally preventable firmware upgrade issues. Not to speak of the fact that it would diminish needless noise and countless posts regarding failed updates on the forum. This one just feels like a no-brainer to me it is so patently obvious there is a better way to organize the Downloads page to accommodate not only longtime HX device owners but new ones as well. This is a simple clerical change that would reap instant benefits. Please just do it already.

Btw, I also agree with your point, particularly in regards to FRFR usage, and think that as I have said elsewhere, at least for the Helix and LT, there should be some global monitor profiles such as "Combo Amp", "Stack", "FRFR", etc. that get people in the general ballpark of a usable EQ profile for their particular monitoring equipment before they start tweaking presets. It is significant how many posts there are from people regarding fizziness or taming the high/low end that I believe might be prevented with the simple addition of some starting line monitor profiles.

I absolutely think the whole downloads page is clumsy at best and has been for some time.  Probably the whole thing needs to be redone in such a way that it's not only more intuitive in it's search, but also can default to results that would eliminate the clutter of files that end up confusing people.  Probably also a separation of release and installation notes from physical downloads as most other online vendors do to reduce confusion.

I'm not so sure about the monitor profiles unless you're just talking about some additional presets.  Given all the things that can affect a preset such as different guitars as well as different amp models, cabs, and mics I could see this easily resulting in numerous "I'm using an FRFR setup, but the FRFR preset sounds horrible" threads due to these differences.  However, I agree that some form of "best practices" whitepaper could stave off some early problems.  But then again, apparently there's a pretty decent sized population of users that seem to be adverse to actually reading things like a manual, so who knows if that would be useful....  ;)

I absolutely think the whole downloads page is clumsy at best and has been for some time.  Probably the whole thing needs to be redone in such a way that it's not only more intuitive in it's search, but also can default to results that would eliminate the clutter of files that end up confusing people.  Probably also a separation of release and installation notes from physical downloads as most other online vendors do to reduce confusion.

Agree, although if you separated release notes I would also keep them in the Updater as well. Release notes and upgrade instructions that were consistent both located separately and also in the Line6 Updater would help to prevent for example the recent calisthenics in the HX Edit 2.52 release where once you begin the firmware update process the Updater requests you to make a backup with your new version of HX Edit. To comply with this instruction you have to interrupt your firmware update, exit the Updater, and then bring up HX Edit to make a backup, exit HX Edit, and then restart the Updater and return to your firmware upgrade. Separate installation instructions would have allowed the user to know they needed a backup with the latest version of HX Edit before proceeding with updating their firmware. This is a different procedure than the old firmware upgrade process that required you to have a backup from your previous version of HX Edit. Not a big deal but I can definitely see where it would be confusing to a new user.

I'm not so sure about the monitor profiles unless you're just talking about some additional presets.  Given all the things that can affect a preset such as different guitars as well as different amp models, cabs, and mics I could see this easily resulting in numerous "I'm using an FRFR setup, but the FRFR preset sounds horrible" threads due to these differences.  However, I agree that some form of "best practices" whitepaper could stave off some early problems.  But then again, apparently there's a pretty decent sized population of users that seem to be adverse to actually reading things like a manual, so who knows if that would be useful....  ;)

I was talking about global profiles and not presets. The advantage of a global profile to a preset or template is that if your monitor type changes you can instantly change all your presets to suit. Granted they may require further adjustment within your presets but I like the idea of multiple global monitor-type profiles(Combo, Stack, FRFR, etc.).

I do also like the idea of "additional presets" intended as a template for specific monitor types too. The idea of a preset intended to be the "profile" or template for a Combo, FRFR, etc. would be easy to implement immediately, no development required, and offer the advantage of being able to provide not only suggested EQ adjustments but other adjustments such as compression as well. To some extent, the better presets folks have made out there already serve this function in some respect, especially if they detail whether they were created using a Marshall stack or with an Atomic CLR(FRFR). As a matter of fact when I think about it you much more frequently see CustomTone as well as third-party retail presets tell you what type of pickups they are intended to be used with rather than the at least if not more important detail of what sort of monitoring equipment that preset was designed with.

Whatever the mechanism, global profile or templates(I think both would be useful) the intention is to help users get a great sound quickly with their particular choice of monitoring equipment. I agree ultimately there is no perfect solution that is going to suit everyone. Some people will manage to get a horrible sound out of anything and others will simply not be satisfied with "stock" profiles of any kind, global or template. As users get more experienced they might start to move away from either global profiles or monitor-type templates but many would continue to use them with their own tweaks. Global profiles and some good specific monitor-type templates straight from Line6 would be very helpful, particularly for FRFR application and especially for new users as well as the more experienced who want or need to be able to quickly adjust to different types of monitor rigs.