Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Master EQ Question

bcarr22

Relative Helix newbie here.  Have some Glen Delaune presets on top of what I've created.  Currently using two FRFR cabs, but intend to try out wet/dry/wet shortly.

Overall, all my presets sound overly bassy and boomy.  Many presets sound very processed, as well.

What is a good master EQ setting to try out?  I'd like the presets to sound a lot closer to guitar amps than they currently do.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure on the Master EQ portion of your question.  I've been 'happy' with my presets for the last 6 months.  I've owned my Helix for almost a year now.  The recent change I made was when I create my presets to put a Parametric EQ at the end of my chain (but before Reverb/Delays so I can send a stereo signal if I want to) and set the low/high cuts to 100hz/5.5khz.  This frequency gives me a basic representation of what a guitar cab would be outputting.  I adjust the cuts to clean up any sort of highs or lows that need to be added or taken away.

I've learned that any bass flubbyness you can tame with an EQ in front of the chain and any highs or ice pickiness you can tame after the amp/cab.  This has given me a much more reasonable range to adjust on the high end. Different amps I've gone up to 8k, but mostly stay between 5-6k. 

This was a big leap for me as I had thought FRFR meant that having 'access' to those frequencies meant I'd have a fuller sound but after different experiments, I really just ended up back where a normal guitar cab would be anyway.  Having access to a FRFR speaker though does allow me to hear what I create without any coloration, and know that what I'm sending to the sound board should be just as equal for him to put in its place.

9 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

also move the mic further away can help

Actually THIS is the first answer to EQ problems.  Not just moving the mic further out, but using a mix of mics and selecting the right kind of cabinet/IR.  Settle that problem and the EQ issue becomes MUCH more manageable.

Keep in mind that all the responses above are referring to parameters in the cab model block, not a "master EQ". There isn't a "master EQ" unless you build one into to your preset. The Global EQ is  used when playing live to make a global eq adjustment based on needs of the room.