Jump to content
jjguitarplaya

Need help with this tone on Helix...suggestions?

Recommended Posts

I have a specific tone I’d like to create with my helix (one month owner here). Listen to the attached and please make suggestions as to the effects/pedals that you would use to achieve something close to this. 

 

If this info is needed I play direct from the pedal to the board and I play a strat and tele. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry...I don't download files from anyone on the Internet.  Post it somewhere on the Internet and send a web link.  It would probably be even more useful to know what your setup is, (FRFR, 4CM. studio monitors, headsets) as that has a pretty big impact on how the sound comes out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

starting from the customtone area of line6 website is always a good start. Search for the player you want and there is usually some patches already there if he/her is famous enough.

you can tweek from there if it is close enough.

An other way i sometime try to start is finding what gear the player use and try to recreate it on helix. There are plenty of video showing player's gear so that's also a good start point.

 

don't underestimate the "fingers tone" sometime no matter how close the rig copy or sound is, it is just how the other guys are playing too, the vibrato, the little quirks and fine subtleties...

For exempIe still haven't find an acdc sound that i am happy with, even though i own an SG and angus rig is really simple.... ;)

 

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunedindragon I wasn’t aware the file had to be downloaded I thought the video would simply play on the discussion forum like it does on my end.

 

I’m not using any amp whatsoever, I go straight from my pedal to the FOH. I do use in-ears for my monitors on stage but I don’t use an FRFR on stage. 

 

Oliverjez i I completely understand how my own playing style can affect tone etc as I’ve been playing for over twenty years however I’m simply trying to get close to the tone heard in the video. This is not a pro players tone so I cannot search for the tone which is why I was asking on here. I’ve downloaded many tones from customtone so that’s no issue, I’m trying to recreate something I heard online from another guitarist who wouldn’t be found in the tone library.

 

Basically I’m asking where would you start when trying to create this tone? Would you go to a boss, Ibanez etc. it’s almost like a clean OD and I’m trying to determine where to start. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a straightforward pushed lead tone with some delay and possibly reverb. I personally like stacking drive and boost pedals for lead tones. I often use Kinky boost (set very low) into the Minotaur, into a Fender Deluxe model for a nice lead tone. Sounds like the player in the clip gets plenty of sustain, so hitting an amp with overdrive or compressor may also help.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olivierJez said:

 

don't underestimate the "fingers tone" sometime no matter how close the rig copy or sound is, it is just how the other guys are playing too, the vibrato, the little quirks and fine subtleties...

For exempIe still haven't find an acdc sound that i am happy with, even though i own an SG and angus rig is really simple.... ;)

 

cheers

Agreed on the subtleties of the player.

 

The owner of Diamond Guitars, and I were having a conversation a little over a year ago. We got on the subject of gain/distortion as he also owns Diamond Amps.  AC/DC was brought up, and according to him: They used little-to-no gain/dist, but they cranked their master vol. Now I don't know if that would help you, but I figured you either know this to be true, or false. OR you haven't heard it yet, you could try it, and it may help.  Didn't hurt to post it. ;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ADBrown said:

Sounds like a straightforward pushed lead tone with some delay and possibly reverb. I personally like stacking drive and boost pedals for lead tones. I often use Kinky boost (set very low) into the Minotaur, into a Fender Deluxe model for a nice lead tone. Sounds like the player in the clip gets plenty of sustain, so hitting an amp with overdrive or compressor may also help.

Awesome thanks so much, I’m going to try that. I really appreciate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Agreed on the subtleties of the player.

 

The owner of Diamond Guitars, and I were having a conversation a little over a year ago. We got on the subject of gain/distortion as he also owns Diamond Amps.  AC/DC was brought up, and according to him: They used little-to-no gain/dist, but they cranked their master vol. Now I don't know if that would help you, but I figured you either know this to be true, or false. OR you haven't heard it yet, you could try it, and it may help.  Didn't hurt to post it. ;)

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the Litigator model with Minotaur or TS808 in front. Pretty straight forward Strat tone. If you are using in ears as monitors only, it will be difficult to get that sustain on the verge of feedback. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THAT is a "specific" tone? Sounds like every guy I've ever gigged with in town across a host of different amps and guitars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mikah912 said:

THAT is a "specific" tone? Sounds like every guy I've ever gigged with in town across a host of different amps and guitars.


Well then mikah912,  it should be pretty easy for you to point me in the right direction as to what pedals you'd recommend. Maybe I'm hearing something unique to my 
ear but this isn't just a typical tone that every player in my area uses which is why I asked for suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, jbuhajla said:

Try the Litigator model with Minotaur or TS808 in front. Pretty straight forward Strat tone. If you are using in ears as monitors only, it will be difficult to get that sustain on the verge of feedback. 


Thank you so much jbuhajla, appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Def just a standard strat tone (prob in pos 2 as well) but for Wonderful Tonight it's a bit over the top! That is a lot of sustain tho - I got that mostly using a Boss CS-2 and after that I used the EP Booster ( then when I went digital, Kinky boost on the Helix) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Vaiai said:

Def just a standard strat tone (prob in pos 2 as well) but for Wonderful Tonight it's a bit over the top! That is a lot of sustain tho - I got that mostly using a Boss CS-2 and after that I used the EP Booster ( then when I went digital, Kinky boost on the Helix) 

 

Thank you Vaiai, that’s the information I was looking for and I do understand it’s a standard tone but it’s something about the sustain, depth and overall smoothness that draws me to this tone. I wouldn’t necessarily use this for Wonderful Tonight but I just like the tone in general for other material that my bands do play. The sample was actually played on a Peavey axe from what I saw in the video. 

 

Thanks again, much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...