Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bass Octave Just On Lowest Pitched Note In Chord

MMayerwieser

Hi!

I just got my Pod HD Pro X and can`t figure out how to use my bass octaver properly. Maybe you can help me ;)

Some bass octavers have the option to just octave the one note with the lowest pitch in the chord and not the whole chord. Is there a way to do this on the line6 octaver?

i would like to use it with a dual amping with a distortion amp like the Treadplate to have an additional bassline (without the chords).

Thanks for your help,

Markus

I'm almost certain that the octaver will adjust all notes; you can't assign it to drop only the lowest note.

You could check it out by researching the original bass octaver device that is being modeled. Line 6 generally models the devices pretty accurately. If the original device does not have the feature you describe, nor will the Line 6 model.

Not sure how the hd500 would know that, since it's not getting string data from the guitar (even a Variax). The effect would need to receive a discrete signal from each string, compare notes and decide which is the lowest frequency, discard the rest of the data, process the lowest note to the octave, then render it out. That doesn't take into account anything to ignore muted strings.

The variax only does discrete processing per string signal. I guess it could be possible to use a variax with both the piezo and magnetic pickups, and process the variax signal an octave lower for certain strings

Does the 500 have sufficient processing power to do that without noticeable latency, along with the other processing it's doing? 

Probably.

It would be nice if, after x number of years of the product being released, L6 would release a dev kit for people to create new functions like this for their equipment...on to Ideascale I go...

• Upvote 1

You could do a hybrid mix of the Magnetic Pickups and a variax model where all of the strings except for the low E and A are muted and then force the pickups through one amp and the variax through another with the octaver.  Or detune the variax model low e and a an octave down.

I saw a video recently about how the guitarist from Local H has a separate bass pickup under his A and E strings that go out a different jack, I think through an octaver and into a separate amp.

Assuming you don't have a JTV and don't want to go through that much surgery to make it happen ;) maybe you could try splitting the signal at the front of the input chain and try to low pass that side to limit it to only the bass notes. It won't even be close to perfect, but you might see how well or poorly it works.

Thanks for your Replies!

As the Pod HD Pro X should be capable of doing the needed calculations and i am a digital signal processing student, i really like the idea of line6 giving us users a possibility to add functions ;)

At the moment it looks like it is coming down to use a good (where good is meant to describe the fitting to my problem) octaver and fx loop. I tried the approach of filtering out the higher pitch tones with different filters, but the filter adjustment options are just too poor to get sufficient results. So i am missing a powerful filtering option too i guess ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I see what you mean. The GT100 has an octaver based on the Boss OC3. It doesn't actually analyse a chord and create a bass note, it just has some lo-pass trickery so that only the low notes are fed to the octave effect, avoiding the chipmunk effect when playing higer notes. It is still (in my opinion) doesn't do what the OP is asking for.

• 4 years later...

So the boss effects basically just uses a high pass filter, why couldn't I set this up on the hd500? Is it because its not polyphonic and so the sound is confussed at the point of octaving, rather than the overal sound coming out?

In another matter, am I right in saying the dual amp feature allows you to put different effects on the different amps, so I could recreate the royal blood effect using just a hd-500?

Thanks!