Jump to content
kur7

HX stomp USB noise

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I just bought my first Line 6 product: the HX stomp. I am having an issue and I'd like to know if I am doing something wrong or if it's a defect of my unit so I could eventually return it.

I connected the HX stomp through my Apogee Duet input in order to record to my DAW (and also to play through my speakers using the amp simulations and the IR's I bought). As soon as I connect the USB of my HX stomp to my Mac (because I want to edit presets with HX editor) I get an annoying ground noise. If I unplug the power cable of my Mac the noise it's reduced a bit but not entirely which makes it impossible to record high quality sounds. This only happens as soon as I connect the USB (included in the HX stomp) to my Mac. On the other hand, If I select on my DAW the HX stomp as input (other than the apogee duet) the noise is gone. I would like to use the Apogee Duet sound quality for recording, rather than the HX stomp internal audio card. The only solution seems to disconnect the USB cable to get rid of the gnd noise.

Anyone is experiencing the same problem?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Simone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just a ground loop. It’s quite common when you multiple ground paths running between two pieces of equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure both devices and the computer are connected through an EMI filtered power strip, to the same house circuit. One that doesn't share with appliances, fluorescent or rheostat controlled lights.

 

If that doesn't do it, try different USB cables. According to Frank Richotte (L6 boss, over on TGP) the Helix is very sensitive to USB cable quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys experience the same? Because I could also just use the internal HX soundcard to record which seems to be good quality. However there is a huge difference in volume when I use my Apogee Duet preamps compared to the HX stomp internal ones. The input signal is really low making the recordings not optimal. On the other hand when I use the Apogee Duet and the USB connection of the stomp there is always this small incoming signal which is definitely not good for a perfect rec session. I tried to use a different USB cable but nothing changes. 

Just wanted to make sure that the problem is not of the HX itself otherwise I have to return it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kur7 said:

Do you guys experience the same? Because I could also just use the internal HX soundcard to record which seems to be good quality. However there is a huge difference in volume when I use my Apogee Duet preamps compared to the HX stomp internal ones. The input signal is really low making the recordings not optimal. On the other hand when I use the Apogee Duet and the USB connection of the stomp there is always this small incoming signal which is definitely not good for a perfect rec session. I tried to use a different USB cable but nothing changes. 

Just wanted to make sure that the problem is not of the HX itself otherwise I have to return it.

 

The fact the signal low from the Stomp's USB output isn't necessarily a bad thing... How low is it? If you need to increase it, you can use the level parameter at the output block.

 

If you're running the output from the Stomp through your Duet's preamp, it stands to reason that the recorded signal is going to be hotter. Your also going to be getting some amount of color from the preamps themselves. The signal from the Stomp's USB is going to be the pure, unaltered signal from the Stomp itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the level knob all the way up on my hx stomp and the input signal I receive in my DAW is very low, which requires me to increase it by 15 db to reach a decent waveform. I think it's really a lot to increase a recordings by more than 3-4 db's. 

I just found out that the power adaptor of the HX stomp is not grounded. Could be that the reason of my annoying ground noise? If so, (apart from wondering why Line 6 engineers did not thought of a grounded power adapter) which power adapter I could buy to solve the issue? Furthermore, could I solve the problem by buying a filtered power strip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kur7 said:

I have the level knob all the way up on my hx stomp and the input signal I receive in my DAW is very low, which requires me to increase it by 15 db to reach a decent waveform. I think it's really a lot to increase a recordings by more than 3-4 db's. 

I just found out that the power adaptor of the HX stomp is not grounded. Could be that the reason of my annoying ground noise? If so, (apart from wondering why Line 6 engineers did not thought of a grounded power adapter) which power adapter I could buy to solve the issue? Furthermore, could I solve the problem by buying a filtered power strip?

 

When you say the level knob, are you talking about the physical volume knob on the unit? That has no effect on the USB audio. Only the level in the preset will affect that. It sounds like you just have your presets created at a relatively low volume. Again, it's not really that big of a deal if the level going into your DAW is sort of low. With 24 bit digital audio, you really don't lose any fidelity by recording at lower levels. It actually gives you more flexibility while mixing. But if you want things louder, go to the output block, and increase the level parameter there. You can increase the preset volume by up to 20dB there.

 

As far as the power supply, that's not really the issue. If it were grounded, it could actually be more problematic. The ground on a power supply isn't there for noise reason, but simply for safety issues. The Stomp falls below the threshold, load-wise, where a grounded power supply is required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The level in the preset is on 0 db. I definitely don't want to increase it as the noise exponentially increase also.

Unfortunately apart from the low volume I have this constant ground noise that is clearly hearable in the recording. I'll send you a screenshot of my DAW.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 18.17.24.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kur7 said:

The level in the preset is on 0 db. I definitely don't want to increase it as the noise exponentially increase also.

Unfortunately apart from the low volume I have this constant ground noise that is clearly hearable in the recording. I'll send you a screenshot of my DAW.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 18.17.24.png

 

So are you still talking about recording through your Duet here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that's the line level when the Duet is selected as input and output and also when the USB is connected from the HX stompt to my Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the difference in levels when I select the HX stomp as input and the Duet as input. In both cases, the noise is present.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 18.28.59.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kur7 said:

This is the difference in levels when I select the HX stomp as input and the Duet as input. In both cases, the noise is present.

Screenshot 2019-04-24 at 18.28.59.png

 

Earlier you said the noise was gone when using the Stomp as the interface... Was your Stomp still connected to the Duet wen you made the first recording?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kur7 said:

Furthermore, could I solve the problem by buying a filtered power strip?

 

On 4/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, rd2rk said:

Make sure both devices and the computer are connected through an EMI filtered power strip, to the same house circuit. One that doesn't share with appliances, fluorescent or rheostat controlled lights.

 

If that doesn't do it, try different USB cables. According to Frank Richotte (L6 boss, over on TGP) the Helix is very sensitive to USB cable quality.

 

Like I said......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I express myself uncorrectly. The noise is always there, it's just lower because it's lower the overall input signal. Yes in both cases the stomp is connected to the Duet. In the following screenshots there is the noise generated when I use the HX stomp as input (-66.4 db) and then the noise generated using the Duet as input (-51 db). There is a decrease of 15.6 db from the Duet to the HX but still the nosie is there in both cases! I added another screenshot avoiding the HX stomp and connecting my pedalboard (with the overdrive, reverb and booster on) straight to the Apogee. As you can see there is barely noise even with all the effects turned on (-72.3 db). Therefore I won't attribute the cause to my electrical implants.

Guitar straight.png

Duet.png

Hx Stomp.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2019 at 6:57 PM, rd2rk said:

 

 

Like I said......

 Unfortunately this didn't solve my issue. The HX stomp adds a big amount of noise when connected through the USB to my Mac. Makes it impossible to record high quality audio. Had to return it, sadly...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×