channelk

Error initializing code 8201

Full user bank gets this error when trying to access or back up anything. Do you think there is a way to recover data?

1 hour ago, channelk said:

Do you think there is a way to recover data?

Hi channelk, 

Yep, IIRC -  your 8201 is a badly formatted preset error.

Try this:

Reboot your Helix while holding down footswitches 10 & 11 which should rebuild your presets and update them to the latest firmware spec.

Note: if this doesn’t fix it, then you need to supply more info. What you gave here is not much use! You know we need important stuff like: what hardware, what computer, what OS , what firmware, etc. It’s a big help.

Hope this helps/makes sense

PC, Windows10, Firmware 2.710...Thanks for the response. I will go try the rebuild right now. This is not my Helix with the problem, it is the other guitar player in the band and I have access to his unit. Hmmm, other places say that factory reset is 7 and 8. I am assuming the numbers start at the top left, go right, then the bottom.

6 hours ago, channelk said:

Hmmm, other places say that factory reset is 7 and 8.

There are different reset options. 10&11 starts a rebuild("repair") of your presets, 7+8 deletes every preset.

...by the way, you are using the same HX Edit version as your firmware(2.71)?

None of this worked.  I updated HX edit to 2.82.   Using windows 10, Helix has latest firmware.   I would like to just access the preset list in order to manually reload the presets but it will not let me select the preset bank just keeps saying that 8201 error wasn't initialized properly.

While, if you want to recover data, you can just download data recovery tool, I think the Bitwar Data Recovery software is a good choice, or you can try initialinzing it again, the issue maybe you do not initialize it properly.

On 10/17/2019 at 6:41 AM, kcg003 said:

None of this worked.  I updated HX edit to 2.82.   Using windows 10, Helix has latest firmware.   I would like to just access the preset list in order to manually reload the presets but it will not let me select the preset bank just keeps saying that 8201 error wasn't initialized properly.

Have you tried to load your backup after a factory reset?

...I hope you did one

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Kassia said:

While, if you want to recover data, you can just download data recovery tool, I think the Bitwar Data Recovery software is a good choice, or you can try initialinzing it again, the issue maybe you do not initialize it properly.

Hi,

The Bitwar Data Recovery software that you mention is a tool for rescuing data that has been deleted or damaged by being overwritten. Basically, when you delete a file it is still there, but it’s simply not visible to the user in the regular manner. The file will still be recoverable until the physical disk space it occupies is overwritten by a new string of zeros and ones. 

The issue here is slightly different here as the file is still available, but may have suffered from some minor corruption. The Helix files are essentially JSON text files and can be edited with any editor that can open those type of files. Usually one of the reset methods described above will fix the problem, although there is no guarantee that they will work. These things are likely to happen after a firmware update when the presets need to be rebuilt inside your Helix, which makes them usable by the new FW. The other thing which has been know to happen is a mismatch in the revision number of the Firmware and HX Edit. You may notice that the Helix will perform a “rebuilding presets” routine if you load any of your older patches, or patches downloaded from Customtone - this is to make them compatible with the new system. Also, as the last revision to v2.80 made major changes to the Core of the system  in Helix, some of this stuff is inevitable.

An interesting free option for data recovery if you actually need it - it even works with iPhones, which is worth knowing, so thanks for that.