Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why I returned my unit

fizbin

I'm not writing this just to complain, but some things just make you scratch your head and wonder. I really wanted this to work it, and in fact the unit sounds great in many cases. I purchased this with these needs:

1. Pedalboard replacement into a real amp

2. A modeller to run through a PA perhaps. This need is a distant second to need #1.

The two things I could not get past :

1. Sound drops out when switching patches. Come on. You care about my sound until I have to switch patches, then it drops out....this is 2020. This will never be tolerated in my signal chain. Ever. I know there are snapshots, but the very reason I bought this was to make the few complex changes I need in my setlist. 

2. You don't get 4 slots to put whatever pedal you want in. You have 3 slots to put whatever pedal you want in, and then another slot to put whatever Line 6 deems is left, which is not much. You always have reverb, and typically delay. Guess what...you have one slot left. Not acceptable for pedalboard replacement. My use case.

I was so excited for this....being able to edit without plugging into a PC, great tones. Then this. I can't remember being this disappointed about a piece of gear that HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL for quite some time. I'm sure someone will chime in and say, but for the price...they had to cut some features.

Well, you cut the ones that made me want to own this. It went, literally from a fantastic value, to a piece of hardware I have no use for, so no value, regardless of price. YMMV

It sounds to me like you’d be better off with the HX Effects or Stomp. They’re a little more but each give you complete flexibility with the signal chain. They also have a slightly more powerful SHARC chip, so the DSP limit isn’t quite as big an issue.

• Upvote 1

Like phil_m says, HX FX or HX Stomp.

The HX FX is designed to meet your need #1, and does so more effectively then POD Go.

The HX stomp will address both needs.

As for audio dropouts when switching patches, that is the case for the vast majority of modellers. It sounds like you may be new to modelling (based on your need #1) so be looking out for this if /when you decide to go with a different modeller.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:06 AM, silverhead said:

Like phil_m says, HX FX or HX Stomp.

The HX FX is designed to meet your need #1, and does so more effectively then POD Go.

The HX stomp will address both needs.

As for audio dropouts when switching patches, that is the case for the vast majority of modellers. It sounds like you may be new to modelling (based on your need #1) so be looking out for this if /when you decide to go with a different modeller.

That isn't my experience @silverhead I have wide experience of using a wide range of modellers from Vox, Boss, Digitech, Zoom and even Line 6 HD500, and I've not experienced this volume drop out from any other modeller to anything like the extent apparent in Pod Go.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, silverhead said:

As for audio dropouts when switching patches, that is the case for the vast majority of modellers.

My 2006 Spider 3 amp doesn't do it though, lol   I also found it strange.  I wonder why that is...  Does the full blown Helix also do the same thing?

2. You don't get 4 slots to put whatever pedal you want in. You have 3 slots to put whatever pedal you want in, and then another slot to put whatever Line 6 deems is left, which is not much. You always have reverb, and typically delay. Guess what...you have one slot left. Not acceptable for pedalboard replacement. My use case.

I would say that's one of its main weakness, but it's $450............!  Listen, for what you get, it's lollipopING mental..... (just want to see what it'll replace lollipoping mental with! lol)  So even if you ONLY got those 4 slots by themselves, it would still be pretty damn awesome...   I mean one distortion pedal is easily $100, boutique crap go for what, like 2-5 times that much?  As much as the Go?  LOL   The Go doesn't really take more space than 4 pedals, it's much more practical than 4 stupid pedals with wires...  You can preset all your 4 pedals with different settings and change all four at the press of a button.  Crazy!

Also, if you already have some pedals, say you already have a delay pedal and a reverb, etc., you can still use them and your '4' effects now become 6!

But personally, so far, 4 seems to do the job...   There's also a lot of ways you can workaround the issue.  Take the distortion pedal, if you use it as a boost, you can do the same with the built-in volume, so you save 1 slot.   Also, you can simply use multiple patches.  Sure there's a 'slight' silence when switching, but hey, this lollipop is 450.................  Hell, it's the price of ONE boutique pedal.......  My old Akai head rush looper cost like 1/2 of the Go!  What you get is really insane for the price...

7 hours ago, voxman55 said:

That isn't my experience @silverhead I have wide experience of using a wide range of modellers from Vox, Boss, Digitech, Zoom and even Line 6 HD500, and I've not experienced this volume drop out from any other modeller to anything like the extent apparent in Pod Go.

Those all have gaps when switching presets as well. I don’t know what the actual length of the gap is with the POD Go, but it’s probably about the same as the Stomp or HX Effects.

12 hours ago, phil_m said:

Those all have gaps when switching presets as well. I don’t know what the actual length of the gap is with the POD Go, but it’s probably about the same as the Stomp or HX Effects.

No they most certainly do NOT!  As proof, here's my Vox Tonelab SE in action live. I can strum a chord, switch patches and the chord will carry on with the new sound and with no drop-out. If there's a technical gap on paper, it's beyond the range of human aural detection:

• 1 year later...

I just returned my POD GO today, after buying it yesterday.  I was really not happy with it on many levels, but especially one.  Linear signal chain, you can't really run dual amp setups or anything like that.  As far as i could tell in my limited use, you can't even choose where to put the amp and cab really.  My gen 1 zoom g5 is as, perhaps more powerful than this thing.  The zoom is still linear, but at least I can put a couple amps in the chain in series if I want.  Modeling to my ears sounds pretty good across most of the platforms, they really have it down.  But for like 100 more bucks, you can get an hd500x and have a lot more control over your signal chains and such.

As far as the presets, and sound itself goes, it's fine.  The switching isn't as intuitive as the zoom, but it takes up a bit less space, and generally looks better as a unit.  the packaging is very nice and colorful, the unit has really cool multi colored lights, and an easy to read display.

But without being able to fool around with your chains, it stifles creativity, even more so than other products in it's class, and I just can't have that.  I am sticking with my zoom until I decide if i want to go HD or HX

On 10/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, justforregs said:

As far as i could tell in my limited use, you can't even choose where to put the amp and cab really. 

This isn’t true. You can put any of the blocks anywhere you want them in the chain.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:39 PM, justforregs said:

I just returned my POD GO today, after buying it yesterday.  I was really not happy with it on many levels, but especially one.  Linear signal chain, you can't really run dual amp setups or anything like that. 

Line 6 makes it perfectly clear that Pod Go cannot run multiple amp setups - if you need that, then you need a Helix product or another unit from another manufacturer.  That is not a problem that is down to Line 6 or Pod Go...that's down to you I'm afraid for not undertaking the most basic research such as reading the manual, reading any of the umpteen reviews, or watching any of the numerous line 6 Pod Go videos (both official and third party) that make this absolutely clear.

As far as i could tell in my limited use, you can't even choose where to put the amp and cab really. 

Again, this evidences your lack of even basic research, as the manual & videos all make it absolutely clear that you can put an fx, cab, or amp anywhere you want in the chain

My gen 1 zoom g5 is as, perhaps more powerful than this thing. 

No it isn't. I had both a Zoom G5 and a G5n and the Pod Go processing power is significantly higher than either of these. The modelling architecture is totally different & the the G5 modelling is nowhere near the quality or definition of the Pod Go.   The units simply work differently. For example, Zoom units offer only (as I recall) 22 models (the G5n started with only 5, but I think is up to 13 or so now!) 

The zoom is still linear, but at least I can put a couple amps in the chain in series if I want. 

Yes you can, but that's to do with the G5 architecture, rather than it's processing power - you'll still run out of DSP earlier if you do that! G5 is a reasonable mfx for home players but is a much less sophisticated unit than Pod Go with limited amp/cab selections, footswitching (5 only) that is not adequate for gigging (although it's Z treadle was interesting albeit awkward to use), way lower modelling quality/definition, cumbersome signal chain creation and operation, awkward long lists of amps/fx to scroll through, no IR capability etc.  The G5n improved some elements and provided better quality modelling & improved (though still inadequate) floor control,  but it still had no IR capability, 'outs' were less flexible than G5, amp models now took up 2 blocks, with cab as extra block (amp/cab were a single block in the G5), various fx inc 6 band EQ took up two blocks, noise gate in both G5/G5n was a block, as were wah and volume control that were not global & had to be programmed in.    (Arguably the G11 really is what the G5n ought to have been).  So the maximum 9 blocks limit in G5n was somewhat of a misnomer.  And in G5 that was 8 blocks plus one Z pedal setting.

Modeling to my ears sounds pretty good across most of the platforms, they really have it down.  But for like 100 more bucks, you can get an hd500x and have a lot more control over your signal chains and such.

If you are a home player the modelling is certainly good enough in the G5. But a huge criticism of the Zoom modelling in the G5, and even the G5n was that the amps had a very 'samey' quality and lacked real amp response/feel & had an odd 'nasal' quality - which I completely concur with (G5n was a bit better here).  Particularly in G5 (& not dissimilar in G5n) it was very difficult to create a half decent amp tone without adding 'Exciter', EQ, and the 'Air' reverb that helped give a fuller tone - and all this used up fx blocks very quickly. 

The HD500x is still a good unit that's solidly built, very versatile, with good amp and fx models, and it has a way better looper than Pod Go, but I found it a bit noisy even with the noisegate.  I also found that although some models were definitely better than others I found a lot of the amp models in Pod HD500X to have an odd quality that made them seem a little less authentic and a bit 'flatter/'duller'', a bit more nasal, overly compressed and digital sounding and I really struggled to dial this out even with EQ. To my ears, the Pod Go amp modelling (identical to Helix prior to the latest Helix oversampling upgrade) overall is much more natural/authentic with more 'bite/grit' and more bottom end.  With the odd exception (eg like the vid below I liked the HD500 Mesa Boogie DR) It just sounded & felt much more amp like than HD500X overall.  But with Pod Go, add a good IR and it goes up a level that the HD500X simply can't compete with.

Found this vid comparison (HD500 v Helix) that might help demonstrate where I'm coming from:

HD500X strength is that it does give a lot of very flexible options with good floor control but it has no IR capability.  I do like the dedicated amp control knobs (a feature that's in the Zoom G11) that makes amp tweaking very convenient.  It's a fair bit bigger and heavier than Pod Go and its display is small and its mono-tone definition is difficult to see even at home let alone on stage in a gigging situation.  It also doesn't benefit from the Helix amp & fx models.  In terms of tweaking,  its smaller non-colour screen make it more awkward to navigate.  

As far as the presets, and sound itself goes, it's fine. 

Always take manufacturers factory presets with a pinch of salt - all mfx have questionable factory presets (the Zoom G11 arguably has the worst presets that actually belie it's a much better unit than many give it credit for).  It's more than fine - Pod Go utilises Helix modelling & is significantly superior to that in the G5 or G5n - it is an entirely different modelling architecture generation.

The switching isn't as intuitive as the zoom, but it takes up a bit less space, and generally looks better as a unit.  the packaging is very nice and colorful, the unit has really cool multi colored lights, and an easy to read display.

Utter & complete nonsense re switching ad I say that with complete conviction as someone who has owned 2 G5's!  As per previous comments, the switching in G5 was ridiculously limited and it made the G5 virtually unusable for gigging. Scrolling was needed to move across fx blocks and couldn't be done through floor control (partly remedied in G5n) . To patch up/down you had to press two switches at the same time which is awkward enough at home let alone on stage.  The basic switching in Pod Go is infinitely more flexible and that's before you even look at snapshots - a feature that neither G5 nor G5n had - in fact, I don't believe even the G6 or G11 have snap shots (but there are some different options given in G6 and G11 to collate certain patches together).

But without being able to fool around with your chains, it stifles creativity, even more so than other products in it's class, and I just can't have that.  I am sticking with my zoom until I decide if i want to go HD or HX

Pod Go is infinitely easier to move chains around than Pod Go. you can drag 'n drop any fx, cab, amp etc ANYWHERE in the chain. In G5 you had to allocate a new fx to a blank block & then move it, or create a new block in between two others.  The UI to do this was somewhat awkward.

The only areas I can recall where the Zoom G5 provides additional flexibility to Pod Go is inserting 2 amp blocks and the Z pedal.  The global boost switch in the G5 (lost in the G5n) was a nice option in theory, but it really didn't sound very good - OK with some amp models, but dreadful with others & no amount of tweaking or tube changing (which I tried) made much difference. 

Now, each of us will have different needs and there will be key features that are essential to each of us which might make us more prepared to accept certain compromises in other areas.  The G5 and G5n are both decent enough fx units but each has their pros/cons (as does Pod Go and every other mfx out there) & they are aimed at a very different user base & price point to Pod Go. G11 was Zoom's first attempt to compete at the higher level (somewhat naively aimed at the Helix LT) - and whilst there is a lot to like about it, the price point was wholly unrealistic. The more recent Zoom G6 also has some nice features and is clearly aimed at Pod Go although here the price point is more appropriate.  Mooer GE300 is another good MFX with some very nice features eg tone capture, programmable control switches, intuitive UI, direct access buttons to each block, and sits somewhere between Pod Go & Helix LT.  But even though it has dual chip processing even the GE300 (the flagship in the Mooer mfx range) doesn't give multiple amp options.   For that matter, neither the new Zoom G6 nor the dual chipped flagship Zoom G11 offer multiple amp models either, and whilst I'm not 100% sure, as far as I can recollect, neither did the G5n!  So I believe the G5 was somewhat unique in the Zoom mfx range from that perspective.

So, the key message here is to research what you are buying properly to ensure that it meets with your particular needs. And before you jump to post what you think units can and can't do, at least check things out first properly - & if you don't know or aren't sure, just ask.

Finally, there is no such thing as which MFX is 'better'. It's only about which is the best unit for you. If the G5 or HD500X meets your personal needs, then it's right for you.  These didn't for me and eg multiple amps are unimportant for me.  One of the things for example that I love about Pod Go vs Zoom products (even the latest G6/G11 units) is they don't offer global switching in every patch between volume/wah without having to program these in.  Add in the Pod Go's excellent display, modelling quality, IR functionality, and very good foot switching for live use all in a compact, light but sturdy unit meant the Pod Go suited  my needs.