Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix thru studio monitors

RichHall67

We'd only be guessing, without your same woofer, monitors, and room :) You'll just have to try it and see. That said, I often plug my Helix into a set of 200W Logitech Z-2300 speakers (which are also a sub with a passthrough to the speakers), and to me it sounds great. Considering the Helix is modeling the kind of sounds you'd hear on a studio recording, then to me monitoring with "normal" home audio speakers makes a lot of sense -- but others will disagree since it's a matter of opinion :)

Generally speaking when you route your signal through the sub the sub only forwards the signal above the cutoff level of the sub to the speakers.  For example, if your sub cutoff is at 125Hz it will send everything above 125Hz to the main speakers and play everything below that point in the sub.  The concept being it isolates the very low frequencies from competing with the higher frequencies in the main speakers providing greater clarity.

Since there's not a whole lot of guitar information below the cutoff I'm not sure there'd be a lot of benefit if it's just guitar.

22 hours ago, RichHall67 said:

I am just using the studio speakers to play music thru to learn songs by ear

Buy how are you currently connecting to them to hear your music.

Are they connected to the computer? To an audio interface? Or do you just plug an ipod directly into them? 

1 hour ago, RichHall67 said:

I just plug in my iPhone, 

Then I guess the only option is to plug in the Helix the same way.

• If the iPhone sounds fine, the Helix will be fine.... 
  • If the iPhone sounds tinny, the Helix will sound tinny...
  • If the iPhone sounds boomy, the Helix will sound boomy....

powered studio monitors, with or without a subwoofer first that handles crossover to monitors for you, are a great (and imho, personally recommended) way to play through helix at home or, obviously, in a recording studio.

You get the advantage of hearing how it would sound if recorded directly and played back through a daw through those studio monitors, so you learn to eq appropriately in the helix, or adjust virtual mic positions and cab choices according to how you avoid fizz or get the tone you want or accentuate treble or lows or whatever.

It's a great concept, assuming it sounds half decent (gear-wise)... so enjoy!

I'm just an end user like you though... not a line6 expert or anything

In my room that's my office/studio control room (whole upstairs can be used as studio recording space and use remote control of the digital

console and computer downstairs), I have a Presonus Studiolive 32 Series 3.  I've got everything hooked up where I can play to a JBL 15" plus horn monitor,

and/or Presonus studio monitors with a 10" sub.  I have pretty much multiplexed inputs and outputs where I can do about anything and everything I want

to with headphones, studio monitors, or PA speakers.   Multiple FRFR speakers as well, plus the Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk 3 and a 4x12 cab are in there

for blowing up the neighbors every once in awhile.... LoL!!!