Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Talk Me Into A Spider Iv 75 (for My Nephew)

RNRage

Deciding between a Mustang III and a Spider IV 75 for my nephew. Spent 2-3 hours at GC today side by siding them and still having a hard time. Mustang III would include both 2 and 4 button footswitches. The Spider IV 75 would include the FBV Shortboard MKII. I want him to be able to mess around with turning effects on and off via footswitch, be able to practice channel switching, and various other things that includes working with your feet. He is 13 and has been playing for 1 1/2 years. He is in the High School Jazz Band (early) and loves Metal and Blues. Interesting combination, lol. He has a teacher for his actual playing.. My brother asked me to teach him about tone and things that aren't covered in traditional lessons.. And I feel a modeling amp is a great starting place and excellent to build off of. It'll help give him am idea of what tone he wants to eventually chase after.. OR, maybe he'll end up liking modeling gear.. Like I'm starting to. :D

Well, talk me into a Spider! I'll have 3 months to learn the amp, program patches, then show him how to use it when I give it to him for his birthday.

The only thing I'd say is you might want to look at the 120 or 150. If your nephew progresses quickly, starts jamming with a drummer, etc....those 75 solid state watts might not cut it for long. You dont want him to outgrow it too fast. It'll just cost more money in the long run.

That is something I had thought about, for sure. I do have an amp for him when the time is right to give it to him (Mesa Studio 22). I'm sure some effects pedals will end up included with that as I found myself more interested in modeling now (lightweight and portability for my back issues). He jams with some of his buddies now and uses a little Tech 21 Trademark 30 that I gave to him when he started playing. That seems to get him by but I know he wants something with a little more power. I'm sure the 45 watt difference and the bigger speaker will give him that. I just want to make sure that I do my homework and get him the best available option within my budget. Love that kid like he is my own. He's always getting gear from me, haha.

The only thing I'd say is you might want to look at the 120 or 150. If your nephew progresses quickly, starts jamming with a drummer, etc....those 75 solid state watts might not cut it for long. You dont want him to outgrow it too fast. It'll just cost more money in the long run.

my first modeler was a Spider 210 with a floorboard and it served me well until my Flextone II.  I think this will be a very happy kid with the Spider IV 75 and the FBV Shortboard MKII.  Updated with the Infusion and Edit program for the computer he will definitely have his hands full and room to grow.  I've heard good things about the Mustang but I know the Spider will do everything he wants to do.  The 120 and 150 may be a little on the heavy side for him to lug around at this point.  Wish I'd had a rich uncle when I was starting out!

I was surprised with the results of the Spider, honestly. I knew I liked it on paper. Especially with the Shortboard. Andertones has a practice amp shootout that I loosely made opinions with.. They used a smaller Spider, Mustang, Cube, and (I think) Vox (I don't remember the fourth). I remembered liking the functionality of the Fender and Spider the best out of the four.. But liking the sound of the Cube the best. In my case here for my Nephew, though.. I wanted to get him accustomed to stomping on things for different sounds. Channel switching, effects, etc. No matter if he continues with modeling or converts to tubes.. The same basic principals are there.

my first modeler was a Spider 210 with a floorboard and it served me well until my Flextone II.  I think this will be a very happy kid with the Spider IV 75 and the FBV Shortboard MKII.  Updated with the Infusion and Edit program for the computer he will definitely have his hands full and room to grow.  I've heard good things about the Mustang but I know the Spider will do everything he wants to do.  The 120 and 150 may be a little on the heavy side for him to lug around at this point.  Wish I'd had a rich uncle when I was starting out!

Can’t go wrong with he Spider IV 75W. It will have plenty of grunt to keep up with anyone he jams with (provided they have comparable gear and aren’t mic’ing their drums), and he can get just about any tone he wants out of it. Coupled with the 15% off coupon and it’s a no-brainer.

So I bought the Spider IV 75 this morning for my nephew when I returned my DT25. Holy crap is it a neat little amp.. Especially with the FBV Shortboard. I got some very usable tones with it. Saturday, I think I'm going to gig it since it's a relatively small bar gig. I'd take it to my Friday gig but it's a wedding.. And I'd rather have something that I won't have to mess around with. +1 to the Spider amps. I might just buy one for myself to mess around with after my nephew gets his.. I have 2 months to tinker with it before I give it to him for his birthday.

Sent from my iPad.