Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Helix cab sims match the 12 PC+ speaker models?

Hey_Joe

I asked this on the Helix forum but maybe not the right place.
I just got my Powercab 112 Plus a month ago. Totally digging it!

I'm trying to choose the appropriate PC+ speaker models to match my HelixLT default cab sims.
Which speaker models in the Powercab+ match up to Helix cab sims?
By default Helix links US Double Nrm amp version with 212 Double C12N,  Brit J45 Nrm with 412 Greenback 20, MatchstickCh2 with 212 G25, Jazz Rivet with 212 Jazz Rivet, etc.
Which Helix cab sims match the 12 PC+ speaker models?  Based on the PC+ manual, I think that some are obvious: Jetson and Jarvis go with Fenders, Essex goes with Vox Blue Bell, Lecto and Shade to Mesa, Green to Marshall match but the other non trademark Line6 PC+ speaker code names don't tell me a whole lot. What about the rest of them in the PC+ models? Not asking which match of speaker model to amp sound best (that's subjective and I know that we can mix and match to our tastes) - but which are typically used together?
I'm trying to find out which speakers closely match the Helix's default amp and cab matches to give me an idea of what speaker, for lack of better terms, usually pairs with a type or class of amps in the real world. Does the Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow C90 pair with the Dual Rectifier or the Mark IV based on the Helix default pairing? What amp typically pairs with the BAYOU (Eminence Patriot Series Swamp Thang)? In the analog world would the DINO be put in a Deluxe Reverb. Would  Reinhold Bogner use a HERALD with a Shiva?

A cab in the Helix does model a cab+mic in a room. Powercab speaker sim, it's just simulating a specific speaker response, within the actual and physical cab. It's, at the end of the day, like a custom cabinet, with a speaker that you can choose from a list in the PC. Powercab, when used as a speaker sim, it's exactly a cab itself, so it does not match any cab in the Helix.

15 hours ago, Hey_Joe said:
I asked this on the Helix forum but maybe not the right place.
I just got my Powercab 112 Plus a month ago. Totally digging it!

I'm trying to choose the appropriate PC+ speaker models to match my HelixLT default cab sims.
Which speaker models in the Powercab+ match up to Helix cab sims?
By default Helix links US Double Nrm amp version with 212 Double C12N,  Brit J45 Nrm with 412 Greenback 20, MatchstickCh2 with 212 G25, Jazz Rivet with 212 Jazz Rivet, etc.
Which Helix cab sims match the 12 PC+ speaker models?  Based on the PC+ manual, I think that some are obvious: Jetson and Jarvis go with Fenders, Essex goes with Vox Blue Bell, Lecto and Shade to Mesa, Green to Marshall match but the other non trademark Line6 PC+ speaker code names don't tell me a whole lot. What about the rest of them in the PC+ models? Not asking which match of speaker model to amp sound best (that's subjective and I know that we can mix and match to our tastes) - but which are typically used together?
I'm trying to find out which speakers closely match the Helix's default amp and cab matches to give me an idea of what speaker, for lack of better terms, usually pairs with a type or class of amps in the real world. Does the Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow C90 pair with the Dual Rectifier or the Mark IV based on the Helix default pairing? What amp typically pairs with the BAYOU (Eminence Patriot Series Swamp Thang)? In the analog world would the DINO be put in a Deluxe Reverb. Would  Reinhold Bogner use a HERALD with a Shiva?

Cream, Herald, Bayou and Dino are replacement speakers offered by their mfrs, aren't generally associated with specific amps, and therefore not likely to have been used by L6 to model any of their cabs. Natural is the actual custom speaker in the Powercab with no "special sauce".

To research which Mesa amps used which speakers, go to the Mesa website and check out which speakers were in which of the combo versions. IIRC, they were mostly C90 and V30, but a custom version of the V30. The PC modeled V30 is almost certainly the stock Celestion version, probably of British Mfr.. The Helix Cab is PROBABLY based on whatever Mesa used, but only L6 knows FOR SURE.

In any case, the Helix Cab version of a GB (Green) or V30 (Vintage) is not likely to sound like the Powercab version unless you're listening to BOTH through an EXTERNAL FRFR speaker with it's input taken from the Powercab OUTPUT set to a 57 mic X" off the cone. That ASSUMES that they used the same EQ scheme on the Powercab as in the Helix Cab with 57 X" back. Probably not.

Thanks everybody for answers so far.

I guess I should chock it up my lack of knowledge about amps, even though I've been using them for 54 years. I just never messed with any of the amp speakers I had unless I blew one. The last almost 20 years I've been relying on Line 6 and Boss modeling units to play through.

So, It looks like as I understand it, there are a few typical speaker matches for particular amp models in the Helix/real world but the others are custom replacements and it's down to what I think sounds best to me when running a Helix amp to a PC+ speaker. I guess it is my misunderstanding that Line 6 was offering some of the same speaker models in the PC+ that they modeled and default matched with amps in the Helix.

Thanks again for your comments so far and thanks in advance to any future replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you saw my response in the Helix forum. Helix Cab models and most IRs are models of speakers in a particular cabinet configuration (including open or closed back) and a microphone. Powercab speaker models are EQ curves layered on Flat mode, LF Flat voicing. Then the speaker is in a 1x12 or 2x12 ported cabinet, no microphone and no other cabinet simulation. So the same speaker in a Helix 4x12 Cab block won't sound the same as that speaker model in Powercab because the cabinet is entirely different.

Think of Powercab as a powered guitar speaker in a 1x12 or 2x12 closed back, ported cabinet that has a few additional features: you can easily swap the speaker, can use it as a FRFR if you need that for acoustic, vocal or keyboard instruments, and can run IRs if you need that.

To find equivalent Helix cab blocks or IRs, look for the same speaker in the same cabinet configuration with a pretty neutral mic. That might get you close.

Hello amsdenj -

Yes I did see your response in the Helix forum and I'm sorry I didn't reply and thank you for your wisdom.
You have been one of the great Line 6 forum helpers for years and I always find your knowledge of the products helpful to me and others.

I guess what it boils down to is that somehow I totally misunderstood how the PC+ speakers related to the Helix.

"Think of Powercab as a powered guitar speaker in a 1x12 or 2x12 closed back, ported cabinet that has a few additional features: you can easily swap the speaker, can use it as a FRFR if you need that for acoustic, vocal or keyboard instruments, and can run IRs if you need that."
I was aware of that before buying. Somehow I assumed there was a closer match between the two products - cabs/speakers. All in all I am very happy with the amp in the room tone/feeling that the PC gives me and that's the reason I bought it.

Thanks for the input.

Hey Joe, I had a similar enquiry also to match the PC+ speakers to the cabs on Helix.... so thanks it was good to see the feedback. Also don't forget to load a Helix amp/cab combo then just select it to see what speaker cab L6 matched with the amp...  its a quick cheat to get going. As always though, if you like the way any combination sounds, you got it right..... rock on