Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rendered to Mono by Poly

Dibubba

So, I did all the updates, occasioned by a Helix that refused to sync with the Helix app, after working fine last week. I followed (I think) all the instructions. The Helix responded to the update, re-starting when the software told it to. But: Now my Helix is not recognized by my Win 10 machine. "Helix Device not connected." The client, sitting in the studio, paying for time, is somewhat (almost-physically) discomfited. I must refund him money; something neither of us is happy about. For a platform which I'd expect to work, but does not. The Helix "works" just fine, manually, 20 feet from the console... but the usefulness of the Helix app is nil, null, zero.

There is Much Unhappiness here. My tongue bleeds from the biting; words not typed, spoken, or otherwise-uttered. I may choke, however, from the Snark yet-unvomited. Respect. Line6 deserves that, at the least.

Could anyone suggest a strategy, here, please? No puppies will die due to this, but I'm pretty upset.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Dibubba said:

Could anyone suggest a strategy, here

Do all and any updates prior to a paid session, and test thoroughly before the session.

As to why your Helix is no longer talking to your Windows machine:

• Have there been any windows updates applied to your machine - Windows is great at knowcking out drivers during updates?
  • Have you tried upating to the latest version of HX Edit and all drivers?
  • Did you update HX Edit before updating the Helix firmware?
  • Have you tried a different USB cable and/or USB output on your Windows machine?
  • If all of the above have been done, try a factory reset
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dibubba said:

I followed (I think) all the instructions.

This is often a common assumption, and a dangerous one. 

The HX Edit update if often missed.. and must be first. That's the one that includes all the drivers so the computer can communicate with the Helix. 

On 3/20/2021 at 9:23 PM, Dibubba said:

Now my Helix is not recognized by my Win 10 machine. "Helix Device not connected." The client, sitting in the studio, paying for time, is somewhat (almost-physically) discomfited. 

It's a tough lesson to learn, but an important one. There comes a point where everyone eventually learns that you only do updates during down periods.... when you have the time to troubleshoot any potential issues without pressure. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:23 PM, Dibubba said:

Could anyone suggest a strategy, here, please? No puppies will die due to this, but I'm pretty upset.......

I can’t suggest a strategy to deal with your customer, but I can offer a strategy to prevent future technical issues like this. As of HX Edit v3.01 Line 6 has improved the update process so that the user should no longer have incompatible versions of the firmware and editor.

Download and install HX Edit v3.01, including all packaged drivers and other software. Run HX Edit v3.01. It will alert you to any available device firmware updates, prompt you to perform the update, and manage the automated update installation process.