Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with horrible fizzy low end distortion on preset

Jiiiim

Hello!

New Helix user here.

I've made a dual amp preset that I'm otherwise pretty happy with, except on the right channel amp (a Matchstick ch2) there is a really horrid unnatural distortion happening. The only way I can (almost) dial it out is to put a pretty aggressive low cut on it, and but both Biases all the way up.

Can anyone help?

I'm using a K-Line San Bernerdino with Lollar Imperial humbuckers, and monitoring direct from the Helix with 600ohm Beyer DT770s.

Here's the preset if anyone would like to try it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fwqm45fryf5tlo/Matchstick Fizz.hlx?dl=0

As usual, what you are listening through makes a huge difference. It won't do much good for me to try it because I don't have your guitar, pickups, or headphones. Those headphone probably go down into the sub range. If you're gonna monitor with them, I'd just cut the lows and be done with it. Experiment with cutting lows before the signal hits the amp, and also the cabinet/IR EQ.

3 hours ago, Jiiiim said:

Hello!

New Helix user here.

I've made a dual amp preset that I'm otherwise pretty happy with, except on the right channel amp (a Matchstick ch2) there is a really horrid unnatural distortion happening. The only way I can (almost) dial it out is to put a pretty aggressive low cut on it, and but both Biases all the way up.

Can anyone help?

I'm using a K-Line San Bernerdino with Lollar Imperial humbuckers, and monitoring direct from the Helix with 600ohm Beyer DT770s.

Here's the preset if anyone would like to try it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fwqm45fryf5tlo/Matchstick Fizz.hlx?dl=0

Have you tried updating to 3.1? They made some improvements to the audio engine. It is mainly noticeable on distorted sounds. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/15/2021 at 11:56 PM, bradenballestero said:

Have you tried updating to 3.1? They made some improvements to the audio engine. It is mainly noticeable on distorted sounds. 

Yeah, I have, and it is marginally improved, but still quite present. 

Just to add some more info to describe the sound:

It's coming from the low-end of the guitar i.e. the bottom 2-3 strings, but it manifests itself as a nasty high end fizz/unnatural distortion. Is this some sort of aliasing??

I can certainly dial some of it out if I but a low cut on the front, and then put Bias and Bias X up full, but it is still there.

• Upvote 1

It can be virtually anything, and I would bet more on the guitar, than the Helix. Like pickup poles clearance from strings...if they are too close, a magnetic field will pull them back, producing nasty overtones and harmonics.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, Jiiiim said:

Yeah, I have, and it is marginally improved, but still quite present. 

Just to add some more info to describe the sound:

It's coming from the low-end of the guitar i.e. the bottom 2-3 strings, but it manifests itself as a nasty high end fizz/unnatural distortion. Is this some sort of aliasing??

I can certainly dial some of it out if I but a low cut on the front, and then put Bias and Bias X up full, but it is still there.

The same thing happens to me, but it happened with the 3.50 update 4th or 5th preset I think, the Brit one. And some horrible over-distortion happened just when I bought it with the Panama one with 3.15 update I think it was. It was horrible.

For what I've read, it happens to some people when trying several presets in a row (which I was doing then and yesterday). Some say it's fixed with just restarting the unit (not reset needed). Others say reset...

I've seen some saying they can only get rid of it turning down gain and/or volume in the amp, so if they want more distortion they have to put a pedal before it, and I imagine not as a boost (as it would end up creating the same situation of too hot input) but as a distortion pedal or overdrive.

I used a Jaguar Kurt Cobain signature; I think it's humbuckers are quite hot (high output). I'll try with a Cort X1 in single and humbucker mode and an RG2228 with active EMGs (I'll use padding).

I'll try some things, if I find a solution I'll tell.